thru-hike

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
irrationalsolutions

Re: thru-hike

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:55 pm

i have seen the AT comapinion book and it will be used but for now i'm trying to focus on the history of the trail and i want to find out as much as i can over the next few months before i start to really plan the trip if you know what i mean. i'm planning on 13mi. days for the first couple weeks then i should move the pace up some. i know that in high school i could ride a bike 50mi. in a day but over a long period i don't know what i can hike. from the people i talked to they say i should average about 18.5mi a day after the first month.

i was also thinking (and this is just a thought) if i can shave enough weight i might be able to take a light tent and my hammock. and use the footprint for the tent as a small rain fly. i love using a hammock but i hate it in a big storm so i dont know what i want to do about that yet. any ideas?

as you can see i am second guessing my gear choices for a long hike. i like the setup i use now for everything but i know its too heavy to use for more than a week.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:19 pm

I love my hammock and if you have a big enough rain fly, maybe you could use it in a configuration for a tarptent. I've been in my hammock in a downpour and absolutely loved it. I stayed dry to the bone. There were three guys camping next to us that had two tents which they had sitting ON TOP of one big tarp :o After a few hours, they were floating in their tents and the next day canceled the rest of their hike and headed back home. :roll: A hammock AND a tent will be more than you will want to carry and you will probably send one home after a short time. I've read where even the most prepared hikers are looking to shed weight after they start. 18.5 mpd is flexible. Some days more and some days less and some days NONE ! :lol: When you get to the White Mountains, alot of hikers cut their mileage cansiderably(like 10mpd). You will have to have a support team or a Good Woman :lol: to mail you your supplies, including cold weather gear(you'll want a warmer sleeping bag in the beginning and ending). Their are those that buy all their food supplies on the trail so they don't have to wait for mail drops to arrive or wait for a post office to open or have to leave the trail when they still have enough supplies for several days. Their cost on the trail is alot higher but those that do mail drops pay for their supplies beforehand, plus are not at the mercy of each town general stores offerings. So many options ! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:42 pm

ridgerunner you make some good points. the reason i posted this so far in advance was just for this reason. i have never tried anything like this before and do need all the advice i can get. ;) thanks again for all the input and the input to come. :D

i have noticed that zelph hasn't had anything to say. is this a good or bad thing? :)

GAGA

Post by GAGA » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm

read this http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr ... tcount=1at
and all that is in blue and buy this http://www.appalachianpages.com/
and then go for a 10-14 day section hike of you choice, and after that you aider "wise up" aider prolong your "suffering" but you will "wise up" if you really like hiking and camping 8-) it`s what i did,you have to go out and touch, smell,see,get wet,get dirty,cold,sweaty,smoked,... taste the outdoors and walk the terrain:up and down , of course, and than prepare for a thru- hike.
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:11 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:ridgerunner you make some good points. the reason i posted this so far in advance was just for this reason. i have never tried anything like this before and do need all the advice i can get. ;) thanks again for all the input and the input to come. :D

i have noticed that zelph hasn't had anything to say. is this a good or bad thing? :)
IRA, I too, have dreams of one day thru hiking the AT, but because of work and my age, it may be 10 years before the opportunity arises. In the mean time I hike some of my vacations and days off. I have thought of section hiking the trail like a friend of mine is doing and is about 3/4's the way done but it is not the same. Five or 6 months of "living" on the trail is the experience i yearn for. Weather my body will still be up to the task in ten years or my wife will will allow me to leave for that length of time remains to be seen. I know one thing...I'll have to find someone to mow a couple acres every week while i'm gone. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:40 pm

I would never attemp a through hike until I had completed some section hikes. I myself do lengthly bushwacking(2 - 3 weeks out. rather than point to point distance hiking. I've slowed way down in the past three years, familly matter have a way of doing that. ;) Learn all you can and do some section hikes. I stealth camp so I can observe my surroundings without them observing me. :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:28 pm

what do you call stealth camping? i know what it is around here but we are a bunch of rednecks and good ol' boys so we tend to make stuff up as we go and call it whatever we want.

one old timer i was next to one time called stoking the fire pouring moonshile on it to make it bigger. it worked but he lost part of his beard.

i had a sip later on and it was good.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:45 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:what do you call stealth camping? i know what it is around here but we are a bunch of rednecks and good ol' boys so we tend to make stuff up as we go and call it whatever we want.

one old timer i was next to one time called stoking the fire pouring moonshile on it to make it bigger. it worked but he lost part of his beard.

i had a sip later on and it was good.
I use a camo tarp to cover my base camp stuff while I'm out and about for a day or two. I'm usually on private property, no great worries.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:57 am

i hoped it was something cool like you hide under the wing of a F-117 or something like that. :lol:

GAGA

Post by GAGA » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:15 am

is more like this: nobody knows where you gonna be camping, nobody knows where you are camping,and nobody knows you was camping there after you leave :| except for another stealth camping dude whom wants to stealth and is looking for a good spot just like you :lol:
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!