trekking poles?

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
irrationalsolutions

trekking poles?

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:42 am

i dont use trekking ploes. nevertheless, i think it might be a good idea. so i wanted to know your opinion on the subject. if you are for them what do you look for in a set of trekking poles? i assume they are like everything else we use and lite is not everything but i dont know anything about them.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Pure Mahem

Re: trekking poles?

Post by Pure Mahem » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:33 am

I have nothing against them! But just a thought... I've never fended off the random stray barking dog with a trecking pole. I think walking sticks may bear more weight in that area, hahhahahahaahaha get it, lol!!!! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:40 am

Until I tried trekking poles, I thought "extra weight". After using them, I don't leave home without two of them. They are great for those uphill climbs. good for balance when fording a creek. They can be used for setting up a tarptent. I have one that the handle top unscrew to expose the threaded bolt for your camera so you can use the self timer mode(LL Bean-Leki).( One of mine is a Leki pole and the other is either my inexpensive Wenger(WallyWorld) or Mountainsmith(Dick's). If i was doing a long hike, I would make sure they had foam or cork grips as the hard rubber will wear on your hands after a period of time. I like the ones that are retrackable and have a shock absorber built in. Some use ski poles but their are time I don't use them and just strap them to the pack.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

GAGA

Post by GAGA » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:42 am

they will help you most when you go downhill and the trail is full of Acorns
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:35 am

I don't use them. Mother nature provides a staff along the trail if one is needed.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:13 pm

I bought a pair of the REI Peak UL Carbon Compact Trekking Poles because I needed them to set up my new tarp tent. :roll:
They're actually quite useful and I think I'll continue using them.
One problem I have is that my hands swell when they hang by my side while hiking. The trekking poles keep my hands elevated closer to heart level and prevent them from swelling. A couple thumb loops on my pack straps would accomplish the same but they don't offer stability on tough terrain.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:05 pm

thats kinda what i was thinking. they would help on elevation changes and would give me something to do with my hands. most of the time i play with a peice of para-cord, its a left over trait from the navy i tie knots in everything when i'm bored.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:13 pm

I normally hike without trekking poles. I generally follow Zelph's method of picking up a staff (or two) when needed on trail and dumping it when not. But I did a Pacific coast hike last year where I had to use them longer than usual due to a rocky beach trail and a heavy pack to support the disparate capabilities of a family hike. Drift wood staffs are not ideal. I am torn on whether or not to get some and whether I need two or only one. The purpose built ones are light and can serve multipurpose as suggested (camera stand, tent pole, balance aid).

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:40 pm

I've ried using aan extending fiberglass fishing pole as a staff. I put a good sized rubber tip on one end. Comes in handy when going up and down steep banks to get to the deep pools along the creeks to that favorite hideout where the big ones lurk. Tony's out there no doubt getting ready for his spring time walkabouts to his favorite trout spots.(Australia)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:33 pm

zelph wrote:I've ried using aan extending fiberglass fishing pole as a staff. I put a good sized rubber tip on one end. Comes in handy when going up and down steep banks to get to the deep pools along the creeks to that favorite hideout where the big ones lurk. Tony's out there no doubt getting ready for his spring time walkabouts to his favorite trout spots.(Australia)
There was a great show on the Discovery channel Monday at 7pm. Unfortunately, I turned it on in the middle of the show but 2 guys were backpacking and flyfishing. On the last day of the fishing season, they had made it to the mouth of the river and were slaying the fish. One gent caught a 7lb. Brown trout while the other caught a 6.5lb Rainbow. Very entertaining segment. Might come around again. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !