trekking poles?

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: trekking poles?

Post by zelph » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:08 am

Ridgerunner wrote:
zelph wrote:I've ried using aan extending fiberglass fishing pole as a staff. I put a good sized rubber tip on one end. Comes in handy when going up and down steep banks to get to the deep pools along the creeks to that favorite hideout where the big ones lurk. Tony's out there no doubt getting ready for his spring time walkabouts to his favorite trout spots.(Australia)
There was a great show on the Discovery channel Monday at 7pm. Unfortunately, I turned it on in the middle of the show but 2 guys were backpacking and flyfishing. On the last day of the fishing season, they had made it to the mouth of the river and were slaying the fish. One gent caught a 7lb. Brown trout while the other caught a 6.5lb Rainbow. Very entertaining segment. Might come around again. ;)
Sounds like something Tony will be doing in short order. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:10 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: trekking poles?

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:48 am

thanks for the info it got me started in the right direction. one thing i'm still not sure about is the weight. since they help with the hike do i really need to look into the ultra lite ones or would the cheaper ones that are a little heavier work fine?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

User avatar
dlarson
Site Admin
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:02 pm
Location: minnesota

Re: trekking poles?

Post by dlarson » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:14 pm

In my opinion weight is always important. An ounce here and an ounce there add up to pounds at the end.
A lighter trekking poll will put less strain on your hands/wrists/arms during a hike. Think about the movement. You lift the poll slightly, swing the poll forward and plant it down. Over and over again.
They say a pound on your feet is five on your back so light shoes really help. A light set of trekking polls for your hands is sort of the same.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

User avatar
Pure Mahem
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:13 am

Re: trekking poles?

Post by Pure Mahem » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:45 am

Amen dlarson! I definately know about the shoes thing. Working on my feet every day in retail. I switched my usual shoes to a pair of ultralites saving about a pound and a half off of each foot and let me tell you does that ever put a bounce in your step at the end of the day! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: trekking poles?

Post by oops56 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:17 am

Pure Mahem wrote:Amen dlarson! I definately know about the shoes thing. Working on my feet every day in retail. I switched my usual shoes to a pair of ultralites saving about a pound and a half off of each foot and let me tell you does that ever put a bounce in your step at the end of the day! :mrgreen:
Yep since i don't work and don't have to wear them safety shoes wear slippers all the time a lite weight shoe for out side. Plus no more shoe laces slip ons or vel crow
Man play with fire man get burnt

hoz
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:44 am
Location: USA

Re: trekking poles?

Post by hoz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:01 am

To me, there's a difference between walking and hiking. I consider it a walk on a road or trail, without a bunch of rocks and roots. Hiking includes climbing, downpounding, bushwacking, talus and boulder hopping and fording streams.

I've tried hiking in lightweight trail shoes. They don't work for me. My ankles and feet get too sore. I need better support.

Lately I've been using a pair of Salomon Canyon mids. But I'm planning on buying a pair of Vasque Summits this spring.

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5278
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: trekking poles?

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:39 am

I have been using an old pair of Vasque leather boots I picked up at the thrift store. Fit me perfect and have been a great asset. Waterproof and rugged. They are made for serious outdoor adventure.
Yep since i don't work and don't have to wear them safety shoes wear slippers all the time a lite weight shoe for out side. Plus no more shoe laces slip ons or vel crow
Oops, you know what they say about guys who wear "Vel Crow".....they can't see the laces anymore to tie their shoes! :P :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: trekking poles?

Post by oops56 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:00 am

Ridgerunner wrote:I have been using an old pair of Vasque leather boots I picked up at the thrift store. Fit me perfect and have been a great asset. Waterproof and rugged. They are made for serious outdoor adventure.
Yep since i don't work and don't have to wear them safety shoes wear slippers all the time a lite weight shoe for out side. Plus no more shoe laces slip ons or vel crow
Oops, you know what they say about guys who wear "Vel Crow".....they can't see the laces anymore to tie their shoes! :P :lol: :lol:
Nope got lazy plus cant bend over that far to see them :lol: :lol: something in the way like a mountain
Man play with fire man get burnt

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5278
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: trekking poles?

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:36 pm

oops56 wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:I have been using an old pair of Vasque leather boots I picked up at the thrift store. Fit me perfect and have been a great asset. Waterproof and rugged. They are made for serious outdoor adventure.
Yep since i don't work and don't have to wear them safety shoes wear slippers all the time a lite weight shoe for out side. Plus no more shoe laces slip ons or vel crow
Oops, you know what they say about guys who wear "Vel Crow".....they can't see the laces anymore to tie their shoes! :P :lol: :lol:
Nope got lazy plus cant bend over that far to see them :lol: :lol: something in the way like a mountain
That's exactly what I was trying to say!!!Image
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:10 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: trekking poles?

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:18 pm

what did you do to the bananna?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Post Reply