sewing kit

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
irrationalsolutions

sewing kit

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:59 pm

i haven't seen this addresssed yet. here is the one i use. its a sewing awl i picked up from the leather section at a crafts store, i use it for my alice pack and boots, i also have a needle and dental floss for thread, i use it for everything else. all the parts fit into the cap and stay together. it works for me and i thought i would share it with you, and see what your thoughts ao the subject were.

“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

hoz

Re: sewing kit

Post by hoz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:33 pm

I carried one of those for years, and never had to use it in the field. Mine is a "Myers brand, Awl for All". Might be a little heavy for lightweight hiking but on the Bloodvein River in Manitoba it saved my buddies tuchas when his sling portage yoke let go. Just a few stitches that night from "Hoz Leather and Harness Repair" and he was back in business. Then another paddling partner came up with broken webbing on his PFD, easy repair.

Years ago I made a climbing rucksack with that awl. Though the leather bottom has long since wore out I still have the pack in the garage.

Now a days I'd just carry a couple sail needles, with waxed thread and a simple leather palm.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:39 pm

hoz wrote:I carried one of those for years, and never had to use it in the field. Mine is a "Myers brand, Awl for All". Might be a little heavy for lightweight hiking but on the Bloodvein River in Manitoba it saved my buddies tuchas when his sling portage yoke let go. Just a few stitches that night from "Hoz Leather and Harness Repair" and he was back in business. Then another paddling partner came up with broken webbing on his PFD, easy repair.

Years ago I made a climbing rucksack with that awl. Though the leather bottom has long since wore out I still have the pack in the garage.

Now a days I'd just carry a couple sail needles, with waxed thread and a simple leather palm.
Man why did you bring that up now i got to find mine i had it over 20 years i got so many lost things in this house :lol: :lol: oh well when i find it be like new.
Man play with fire man get burnt

GAGA

Post by GAGA » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:53 pm

oops56 wrote:
hoz wrote:I carried one of those for years, and never had to use it in the field. Mine is a "Myers brand, Awl for All". Might be a little heavy for lightweight hiking but on the Bloodvein River in Manitoba it saved my buddies tuchas when his sling portage yoke let go. Just a few stitches that night from "Hoz Leather and Harness Repair" and he was back in business. Then another paddling partner came up with broken webbing on his PFD, easy repair.

Man why did you bring that up now i got to find mine i had it over 20 years i got so many lost things in this house :lol: :lol: oh well when i find it be like new.
oops56 we need to come to your place and help you clean up,and in the process we will find a lots of "treasures"that can make you rich if sold :idea: :mrgreen: (i have dibs on old knifes :mrgreen: )
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:57 pm

I have one in my base pack. Used it once to sew a boot that split at the heel.

The thread I've used to form tiedowns. A pebble on the inside of the tarp and then wrapped with the super thread :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Post by hoz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:08 pm

oops56 wrote: Man why did you bring that up now i got to find mine i had it over 20 years i got so many lost things in this house :lol: :lol: oh well when i find it be like new.
I thot I lost mine about 10 years ago. Bought another then found the original in my kit. Now I have 2, but I couldn't tell you where they both are at the same time!

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:15 pm

i have one that is similar but the spool is in the back of the handle. the thread leads out through a hole in the side of the handle.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:28 am

My brother just gave me two spools of Kevlar :!: thread for watching his house a few weekends.
He's been working on his emergency kits too and gave me a few plastic floss bobbins for wrapping thread around.
I don't think I'd carry an awl on the trail though.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:15 am

I have a heavy nylon compass holster I stow my compass in when on trail. I keep a few needles and some thread inside. Maybe not heavy enough to fix a boot, but could fix just about anything else that can be fixed with needle and thread.

I also usually carry a multi-tool with pliers to push the heavy needle through heavy material.
Last edited by DaddyMnM on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 am

i didnt think of it either but i was out on a weekend and the guy i was with let me use his when i had a pack failure and was having a fit with a needle. it got the job done much better and much faster not to mention my finglure were getting tired of all the little holes in them. it doesnt weigh enough extra for me to worry about.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”