sewing kit

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Re: sewing kit

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:06 pm

The multi tool and heavy needle with eye large enough to accomidate the thread is a good idea.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Post by hoz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:30 pm

To try and satisfy my "lightweight Jones" I now carry a hank of waxed sail twine and a few needles. I made my own sewing palm out of a small piece of leather with a hole for my thumb. Not as nice as the one in the picture but gets her done!

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:22 pm

that a really good idea. it looks like it is lighter by far. i might look into that.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

hoz

Post by hoz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:59 pm

Like I said my sewing palm is not like the professional one in the pic. It's just a small piece of leather (2.5"x5") with a hole for my thumb. The other end goes down and covers part of my palm. I have been thinking about putting a "dimpled" penny on the palm part...maybe superglue!

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:22 pm

hoz wrote:Like I said my sewing palm is not like the professional one in the pic. It's just a small piece of leather (2.5"x5") with a hole for my thumb. The other end goes down and covers part of my palm. I have been thinking about putting a "dimpled" penny on the palm part...maybe superglue!
A nickle plated "snap" might work also.

hoz

Post by hoz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:32 pm

zelph wrote:A nickle plated "snap" might work also.
Thats a great idea! I even think I have one leftover from making my sail canoe cover in the garage!

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:42 pm

hoz wrote:
zelph wrote:A nickle plated "snap" might work also.
Thats a great idea! I even think I have one leftover from making my sail canoe cover in the garage!
If you can find a snap in a garage you are one organized happy camper :D

Just funnin :D I got all my little stuff in them there little plastick drawers. It's still too hard to locate items because I have too many little plastic drawers. I need to affix a sample to the front of the drawer of what's inside of the drawer. Nahhh!!! that would take all the fun out of "The Search"

I have 6 cabinets of little drawers :roll:

hoz

Post by hoz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:44 pm

zelph wrote:I have 6 cabinets of little drawers :roll:
Only one plastic cabinet here. And it's overflowing. No labels, strictly search and slide.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:13 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:i haven't seen this addresssed yet. here is the one i use. its a sewing awl i picked up from the leather section at a crafts store, i use it for my alice pack and boots, i also have a needle and dental floss for thread, i use it for everything else. all the parts fit into the cap and stay together. it works for me and i thought i would share it with you, and see what your thoughts ao the subject were.

IR, that is one neat little sewing contraption. I'm going to have to find me one :lol: I usually just have a couple needles along with some floss.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:05 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
irrationalsolutions wrote:i

IR, .
To a Doit yourselfer it looks like a dual purpose fishing reel for bluegills,sunfish. The line is hand cast. You can attach it to a hiking staff to create the rod. split shot and hooks in the handle, maybe some artifical bait :D :geek: