Plastic Lined Beer Cans as Pots

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:46 pm

This topic of Plastic Lined Beer Cans as Pots deserves a thread of it's own. The topic was recently initiated in another thread and I'm in agreement with "quickpoint" that this information should be brought to our viewers. Recently we have seen the removal of "Lexan" type water bottles removed store shelves because of recent findings concerning the toxic chemicals used in their manufacture.

"Plastic Lined Beer Cans as Pots"

by quickpoint on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:36 am

Tinny has been censoring innocent comments, never mind critical, for a long time. Many people on youtube have experienced this. The comments are becoming more and more 'dear leader' type every month. Now apart from his personal politicking and machinations and dramas and curing his inferiority complexes (presumably as a result of years of being a slave machinist) to my only serious issue with him on which he has censored me and others repeatedly:

First of all I have no problem with someone doing it for themselves. It's your choice. The Romans died young due to their lead pipes. Enjoy your traffic air, pesticides in food, preservatives and emulsifiers, etc. all of which are legal EXCEPT cooking in plastic lined pots! My issue is with people who promote them as part of their business or blog or whatever: even a light-backpacking forum censored my comments since they sell freezer-bag cooking related items. These are chronicled for future. Or those that that sell them which is the worst case. Switching from Heini to Fosters due to profiteering and other pressures is irrelevant too.

Secondly it is not just BPA, these liners contain cocktails of plastics that were never meant to be heated to those temperatures. Next all beer cans are plastic lined. These cocktails contain various petrochemicals including plasticizers which are dissolved in high temperature (otherwise stay put), then absorbed by the body and mainly built up and not discharged! They cause many diseases in certain people with non-immune genetic makeup.

So it's not just BPA despite their claims. It's also plasticizers. IT'S ALSO other cocktails which were never meant to be heated and thus dissolved and absorbed. And it's not just the cancers they cause but other diseases too. Selling plastic lined pots for cooking is illegal.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Plasticizers+cancer

Now if someone had a conscious, they wouldn't sell it to people including the elderly, pregnant and mainly kids and teenagers.

Question: Would you tell people and kids (and your scout troops as one of his buddies does) to line their kitchen pots with plastics? No you would tell them in time they have a good chance of getting some serious disease.
And then censor those who protest?

It is a simple question of honor.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Re: Plastic Lined Beer Cans as Pots

Post by hoz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:03 pm

I have not experimented with can pots. But I would burn it out, then wire brush, then clean like crazy.

There really should be testing done on water boiled in can pot. But the "market" is so thin I wouldn't hold my breath for it. Just because a backpacker, or a stove builder, or a Scout Master says they "don't think" there is a problem or they "don't taste" anything in the water/food doesn't mean it's not in there. PPM, parts per million folks, that's what matters. I'm concerned with continued boiling chemicals from the plastic leaches into the water, the water goes into the food, then into your body...

I'm an old man (59 today!) and I don't anticipate having anymore kids, but I certainly wouldn't advocate teeners or young adults using those homemade can pots!

As for freezer bag cooking I consider it suspect also, even though I've done it. There IS a difference in bags but what difference is that? There hasn't been enough testing to quantify how much we are poisoning ourselves from having plastics come in such close contact with our food. As the book "Our Stolen Future" points out, the jury is just now coming in with increased incidences of diseases, stillbirths, and other problems that can be associated with plastics. It was during the "Greatest Generation" that plastics started and as "Boomers" we have been exposed to it all our lives.

hoz

Post by hoz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:07 pm

I have no problems if someone wants to use plastic coated cans for their own cook set. But selling to people without advising them of the potential devastating health complications is another matter. Especially young people and adults who have yet to have children. Scientific studies have shown these plastics are endocrine imitators and are the cause of a variety of birth defects. They build up in the parents and are transferred to the embryo, either at conception or during development of the embryo. There are a host of malformations that can be traced to endocrine imitators that are introduced at the right time during development.

READ "Our Stolen Future" (http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/) for more detailed information on this poisoning of mankind.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:27 pm

hoz wrote:I have no problems if someone wants to use plastic coated cans for their own cook set. But selling to people without advising them of the potential devastating health complications is another matter. Especially young people and adults who have yet to have children. Scientific studies have shown these plastics are endocrine imitators and are the cause of a variety of birth defects. They build up in the parents and are transferred to the embryo, either at conception or during development of the embryo. There are a host of malformations that can be traced to endocrine imitators that are introduced at the right time during development.

READ "Our Stolen Future" (http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/) for more detailed information on this poisoning of mankind.

"hoz" you bring up good points. I highlighted a very important part of what you said.

This site is read by tinny of minibulldesign on a daily basis. I'm sure all will agree that he has been informed of the information given here.

Let's watch and see if he continues to sell plastic lined beercans as pots to be used by backpackers.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Post by hoz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:46 pm

I sold real estate for several years. One property came up with benzene in the water and we had to have the well tested several times before it could be sold. And I'm not talking about a cheap "Board of Health" certification for e-coli, but something that came from a lab that had special equipment. I forget what PPM was OK, it was back in the 80's. But your couldn't "taste" or see anything in the water.

As it was we eventually got the well approved, but it cost the seller almost a grand. And a few years later city water came through anyway.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:52 pm

Interesting topic--lets go with it. I have a couple of questions for you:
Could one use a wire brushed rotory tool to remove any plastic lining from the can? What about freezer-bag cooking and frozen grocery products and ready to eat products that require you to cook them in a plastic bag? Is there a difference in plastics? Are some ok to cook in?
What if you filled your Heine pot with vinegar or Cola, would that dissolve the plastic lining? You say the Romans died early from lead pipes. I bet if they had penicillin, they may have lived much longer.
Daren, I'm liking your pot more and more after reading the previous post. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:57 pm

I forget what PPM was OK, it was back in the 80's. But your couldn't "taste" or see anything in the water.

PPM stands for "Parts per Million"

At work, we have to test our sanitizer water solution with a litmus paper and it will tell you the range of the ph by PPM. It has to be within a certain range to pass an inspection.

I remember when we built our house, our well water failed three test. Each time I would go to the grocery store and buy gallons and gallons of liquid bleach to chlorinate the system and each time it would still fail. Finally, we were told to use swimming pool chlorine as it is apparently much stronger. We finally passed after using the pool bleach. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:15 pm

My new pot doesn't have a liner!!! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

hoz

Post by hoz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:43 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:My new pot doesn't have a liner!!! :mrgreen:

R U sure???

hoz

Post by hoz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:59 pm

And whats the impetus of this beer can folly? Lighter weight. I used to hike into the mountains with 50-60 lbs packweight. Nowadays I'd like to keep it around 35-40 for a 7 day trip, but I'm not climbing anymore either.

What's the big diff between a beer can and a titanium pot? Or a regular IMUSA mug? Or the old Coleman mess kit pot?

My god folks are we mens or mices? Gramweenies? Pfffffushhhh.

I've seen the same thing happen in the canoeing world. People want lighter and lighter boats until they become so delicate they can only be used on lakes, or thrown away or sold to an unsuspecting buyer after a few seasons use.

Verlen Kruger, the worlds most traveled paddler (over 100,000 by paddle in his lifetime) once said, "Why worry about weight? It's better to get in shape so you can carry it!"