Plastic Lined Beer Cans as Pots

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
DarenN

Re: Plastic Lined Beer Cans as Pots

Post by DarenN » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:11 pm

hoz wrote:Food grade metal...Cast iron? Stainless steel? Titanium? Aluminum? Copper?

some aluminum is not considered food grade. 3000 series aluminum is food grade. also called "utility". 5000 series is called "marine grade". 6000series is a harder alloy. 6061-t6 is the most common alloy used for round, square, tube, angle and other structural shapes, and is designated "no-bend". it will fracture.

even though copper is fun and easy to "tinker" pots and bowls out of. i would not use it for cooking. copper tarnish is called "verdegris" and is known to be poisonous. likewise, brass.

Daren (thirty years in the metal biz).........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Ok, Ok.... I do have a Vargo Ti pot that is my regular pot but the new one I'm experimenting with is recycled from a frigerated Ham Pattie Package that has six Processed Ham slices in them. Not the greatest tasting stuff in the world but my mom and dad seem to love them. Which is coincidently where I found the can. It is a pull top can that I have used a regular hand can opener to take out the lid. I believe it's a steel can but there's no liner in it and it hasn't warped or changed it's properties from being heated. It has slightly more than a two cup capacity and the plastic cover from a coffee can fits the top of it perfectly. I'm still searching for a lid to use on it but the one from my Vargo set does work quite nicely. Sorrry no pics but I'll get the exact name of the product the can comes in and post it for you all and then you can blow my idea to smitherenes because there was something that I didn't know about the can I'm using. I haven't consumed anything out of it yet just incase one of you come up with something that scares me to death, LOL!!!!! :mrgreen:

How could I not remember Hormel, lol! It's Hormel Ham Patties. The label says 12 oz. but that must be the product because I can fit 2 cups of water in it with just a lil room on the top. I actually don't know what the cans made out of but maybe one of you all with more metal experience will know. I do think it's just the right size for freezer bag cooking noodles or making a cup of tea. My lil aluminum pot grabber works great with it.
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:02 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:Ok, Ok.... I do have a Vargo Ti pot that is my regular pot but the new one I'm experimenting with is recycled from a frigerated Ham Pattie Package that has six Processed Ham slices in them. Not the greatest tasting stuff in the world but my mom and dad seem to love them. Which is coincidently where I found the can. It is a pull top can that I have used a regular hand can opener to take out the lid. I believe it's a steel can but there's no liner in it and it hasn't warped or changed it's properties from being heated. It has slightly more than a two cup capacity and the plastic cover from a coffee can fits the top of it perfectly. I'm still searching for a lid to use on it but the one from my Vargo set does work quite nicely. Sorrry no pics but I'll get the exact name of the product the can comes in and post it for you all and then you can blow my idea to smitherenes because there was something that I didn't know about the can I'm using. I haven't consumed anything out of it yet just incase one of you come up with something that scares me to death, LOL!!!!! :mrgreen:

it may or may not have a plastic liner. if it does not (burn test), and it is shiny silver it is most probably "tinned". a test for tin can be done with a propane torch. heat it from the outside in one spot and watch the inside to see if the liner melts. tin melts well before steel.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:14 pm

"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sarbar

Post by sarbar » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:23 am

If anyone wants to argue bags, go ahead - please read my response to the other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1274&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40

I seem to have to repeat it often to some people: when you prepare meals in freezer bags you are NOT BOILING THE BAG! Can people understand that?
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:28 am

Why do you called it freezer bag cooking. You are not cooking just making it soft to eat. Also on your video on you tube the comments you don't answer them but here you are quick at it :? :?
Man play with fire man get burnt

hoz

Post by hoz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:04 am

DarenN wrote:it may or may not have a plastic liner. if it does not (burn test), and it is shiny silver it is most probably "tinned". a test for tin can be done with a propane torch. heat it from the outside in one spot and watch the inside to see if the liner melts. tin melts well before steel.

Daren........

Tin contains lead...very bad.

nj4x4fever

Post by nj4x4fever » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:18 am

I wrote 2 letters one to Heineken and the other to Fosters beer and the responce I got was Heineken Keg Cans are 100% Aluminum and Fosters Have A Inert Polymer inside.
Here is a video to my letters to those beer representatives:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-sF3gG7_5o
I apologise if you can't read the letters in my video.
Here they are in .jpg Format:

I didn't find the info from Heineken to be helpful, I plan on getting more info from another source. I may try calling them on the phone and talk to a represenative at the manufacturers plant.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:26 am

In my opinion just the young got to worry about plastic us old guys we be gone before it poison us.
Man play with fire man get burnt

hoz

Post by hoz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:26 pm

nj4x4fever wrote:I wrote 2 letters one to Heineken and the other to Fosters beer and the responce I got was Heineken Keg Cans are 100% Aluminum and Fosters Have A Inert Polymer inside.
Here is a video to my letters to those beer representatives:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-sF3gG7_5o
I apologise if you can't read the letters in my video.
Here they are in .jpg Format:

I didn't find the info from Heineken to be helpful, I plan on getting more info from another source. I may try calling them on the phone and talk to a represenative at the manufacturers plant.

Maybe if you explain exactly what people are doing with their used cans. They will be able to give you a more detailed response.