Plastic Lined Beer Cans as Pots

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
hoz

Re: Plastic Lined Beer Cans as Pots

Post by hoz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:03 pm

Ridgerunner wrote: I remember when we built our house, our well water failed three test. Each time I would go to the grocery store and buy gallons and gallons of liquid bleach to chlorinate the system and each time it would still fail. Finally, we were told to use swimming pool chlorine as it is apparently much stronger. We finally passed after using the pool bleach. ;)
The old "shock treatment". E-coli was prob you nemesis. Outhouse somewhere near? Feed lot? Septic system? Or was the well exposed for a time? Flooding?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:12 pm

hoz wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote: I remember when we built our house, our well water failed three test. Each time I would go to the grocery store and buy gallons and gallons of liquid bleach to chlorinate the system and each time it would still fail. Finally, we were told to use swimming pool chlorine as it is apparently much stronger. We finally passed after using the pool bleach. ;)
The old "shock treatment". E-coli was prob you nemesis. Outhouse somewhere near? Feed lot? Septic system? Or was the well exposed for a time? Flooding?
New well. Casing 20 feet down followed by 40 feet more of solid rock. Drilled next to creek bed. The other side was all sand and gravel. Oh well. Live and learn.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:19 pm

i wonder about other types of plastics sold as heated food safe. such as the silicone baking cups and the poach-pods. we've been useing polycarbonate plastics for handling food for years and it wasn't until recently that they were found to be harmful. (i shelved a coffee press/cup that i had used for years). so do we stop useing all plastics for cooking? what about non-stick coatings? tupperware/rubbermade/glad/ziplock containers we are told are safe to use in the microwave? i'm not dissagreeing with what has been said, i'd really like the answers to these questions and concerns.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:54 pm

personally i dont care that much. if something is really bad i wont use it but given enough time they will say everything is bad for you.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

hoz

Post by hoz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:17 pm

DarenN wrote: i'd really like the answers to these questions and concerns.Daren......
So would I Darren. Unfortunately plastic is embedded in our world and isn't going to come out without a fight. By then it may be too late.

As I understand the problem scientists have known about the health hazards in plastic and foods for decades, but have been spoofed by the establishment because there are no good ways to change it without costing millions of dollars.

russb

Post by russb » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:30 pm

hoz wrote:
DarenN wrote: i'd really like the answers to these questions and concerns.Daren......
So would I Darren. Unfortunately plastic is embedded in our world and isn't going to come out without a fight. By then it may be too late.

As I understand the problem scientists have known about the health hazards in plastic and foods for decades, but have been spoofed by the establishment because there are no good ways to change it without costing millions of dollars.
Of course we have had the solution for years, highly recyclable and chemically safe although to heavy for backapcking... GLASS! Remember glass milk jugs that we used to bring back to the dairy and then get full ones? some stuff still comes in glass, wonder why that is.. hmmmm

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:28 am

The statistics are in STOP eating pickles!!!!!! Do you realize from a statistica analysis that everyone who has ever eaten a pickle has died or will! If you've already eaten one it's to late your going to die. Just think all this time and all we had to do was not eat pickles!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:29 am

Oh yeah and I'm positive my new cookpot doesn't have a liner! It's not a beverage can and it's not aluminum, and it is food grade!
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:46 am

now i want to know what it is.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

quickpoint

Post by quickpoint » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Silicone pots are much better as basically silicone is based on sand and natural material as far as I know. But they are mainly used for baking if I am not mistaken. Plastics are unnatural compounds mainly from the petrochemical industry most of which (there are millions and millions out there) have not been tested on a long enough basis as most are new inventions. It takes decades to be sure of a compound which is why very few qualify as foodgrade and less for microwaving and none as cooking pots on a flame! If we go by minimal current guidelines (which makes Aspartame and other stuff legal!) then selling plastic lined pots for cooking on a flame is simply illegal. The silicone ones are best bought from a western made source as opposed to Chinese as it might not be pure silicone but mixed in with cheaper plastics. Our body, apart from neurons (brain cells) and some parts of the bones, are regenerated in a few days to a maximum of six months. So in six months our body is a new one except the neurons of which thousands die every day and are not replaced (don't worry there are billions and we only use a fraction). These unnatural compounds once absorbed can cause exotic mutations in the constantly regenerated cells. The overwhelming majority of these mutations are stopped by our immune system but some of us have better genes in that regard than others. If a mutation is not stopped, it can proceed to benign or malignant growths.

The issue with cooking versus microwaving/baking is the same. Basically when one is cooking, the materials get dissolved in the liquids and are transferred to the food in much greater numbers. A second element is the scraping and constant moving contact and friction in cooking by spoon/spatula/hot food itself/shredding by washing up which releases more of these unnatural compounds into our foods and then our body when dissolved in hot liquids. Furthermore the beer can liners are not foodgraded for hot/boiling/cooking temperature use. Most of these fairly recent compounds do not break down for decades and centuries and the long term reactions once absorbed in the body are basically not studied nearly enough. No plastic lined pot is legal for use on a flame as a general cooking pot.

Once a judgment is enforced, probably any businesses (anyone apart from Tinny?) selling those pots (not individuals for example on youtube) showing videos of plastic lined cans as pots, would have to pull those videos and recall the pots. In the long run the main thing is teaching the young ones whose marrows and fibers are still developing physically (hence more prone to such dangers) as well as mentally: to do the right thing.

I just saw this topic with some moved posts, otherwise I posted a reply yesterday here to a post above:
http://bplite.com/viewtopic.php?p=12166#p12166