Plastic Lined Beer Cans as Pots

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
quickpoint

Re: Plastic Lined Beer Cans as Pots

Post by quickpoint » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:41 pm

Hi Rimmer

I got your PM but I think the public deserves to know my answers.

- I have hiked UL in more places than your jackbooted friend whom I would not grace with an answer.

- As for advocating the knowing poisoning of people specially the vulnerable it is not OK nor is it comparable with other acts but it has parallels in history all of which did arise from losing one's conscience by stating pride in damaging others.

- Threatening to close the thread or 'shitcanning' or sending it to the gulag altogether? You are not honest regarding your tolerance of it. If it was your personal forum it would have gone the moment I answered you or sooner. The fact is in my opinion Zelph is an honorable person who apart from allowing freedom of speech does care about people.

- Advertising? You guys see everything in terms of money and material benefits as it comes up time and again. Hence my sad comparison to previous generations.

- I just saved all 11 pages and if you 'disappear' it into Siberia, my words would not be lost as you put it. In that case I will host it on Wordpress and elsewhere for future generations to see how their forefathers behaved in different camps.

Like I said it is not only a question of freedom of expression, honor, decency and conscience but I assure you after death we will be held to account for what we did to other people.

Look out for lose crags, good night and good luck.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:13 am

quickpoint wrote:Hi Rimmer

- I have hiked UL in more places than your jackbooted friend whom I would not grace with an answer.

- As for advocating the knowing poisoning of people specially the vulnerable it is not OK nor is it comparable with other acts but it has parallels in history all of which did arise from losing one's conscience by stating pride in damaging others.

- Threatening to close the thread or 'shitcanning' or sending it to the gulag altogether? You are not honest regarding your tolerance of it. If it was your personal forum it would have gone the moment I answered you or sooner. The fact is in my opinion Zelph is an honorable person who apart from allowing freedom of speech does care about people.

- Advertising? You guys see everything in terms of money and material benefits as it comes up time and again. Hence my sad comparison to previous generations.

- I just saved all 11 pages and if you 'disappear' it into Siberia, my words would not be lost as you put it. In that case I will host it on Wordpress and elsewhere for future generations to see how their forefathers behaved in different camps.

Like I said it is not only a question of freedom of expression, honor, decency and conscience but I assure you after death we will be held to account for what we did to other people.

Gee i hope you saved it to good paper not recycle so it out last you :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

GAGA

Post by GAGA » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:53 am

1000 beers for Oops ! ! !
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

hoz

Post by hoz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:26 am

At the expense of alienating some members of this board I find Quickpoints posts to be informative and on point for this thread. It is after all, about beer can pots, not hiking, making stoves, taking drugs or drinking beer.

Why attack the man because you disagree with his views? Talk about banning or "shitcanning" him or deleting this thread disturbs me. Is this board no better than "the other guy"?

Disagree if you must, but we should leave ad hominem attacks to the tinman.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:33 am

hoz wrote:At the expense of alienating some members of this board I find Quickpoints posts to be informative and on point for this thread. It is after all, about beer can pots, not hiking, making stoves, taking drugs or drinking beer.

Why attack the man because you disagree with his views? Talk about banning or "shitcanning" him or deleting this thread disturbs me. Is this board no better than "the other guy"?

Disagree if you must, but we should leave ad hominem attacks to the tinman.
All i like to know how many cases of plactic poison all i heard the mice get it.
Man play with fire man get burnt

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:06 am

quickpoint wrote:Hi Rimmer

Where is all this "advocating the knowing poisoning of people specially the vulnerable"?

I'm just not seeing it. What I do see is that when you start comparing people to Nazis your credibility goes out the window and you defeat your own purpose.

Lighten up Francis. Nobody is really disagreeing with your concern; They're just not ready to quit their jobs and make it their life's work.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

GAGA

Post by GAGA » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:46 am

:!: for Everybody now: i hope you realize that skidsteer`s signature little dude in red,now is running out of the house on fire not in it :mrgreen: and i bet he is still coking in his heine pot
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:30 pm

GAGA wrote::!: for Everybody now: i hope you realize that skidsteer`s signature little dude in red,now is running out of the house on fire not in it :mrgreen: and i bet he is still coking in his heine pot
He has to use the Heine pot. After all ,it was SKIDS who invented the Heine storage container/coffee maker/freezer bag cozy!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:48 pm

Nalgene removed their polycarbonate bottles from their shelves because of consumer request for a bpa free product. Chalk a big one up for the consumer. It was the consumer that said were fed up with the leaching of chemicals into our edibles and drinkables :o

You can take it to the bank that can linings will be bpa free in the near future. No doubt the industry is gearing up their lines a purchasing department to procure the neccessay product to make the linings up to our snuff. Nalgene saw the writing on the wall as soon as their sales started dropping.

Who in the world wants their children subjected to bpa???????

Canada has taken the lead to take baby bottles off the market. BPA out of can lining is next.

Read the Article: http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 4df38feec0

Health Canada makes it official: BPA is health hazard
Sarah Schmidt, Canwest News Service
Published: Thursday, October 16, 2008
OTTAWA - Canada on Saturday will become the first country to formally declare bisphenol A hazardous to human health and officially inform the baby-product industry it will no longer be able to use the chemical in baby bottles.

Canada's announcement comes six months after Health Minister Tony Clement surprised the chemical industry by announcing the government's plan to place bisphenol A on its list of toxic substances and ban its use in baby bottles.

In unveiling the "precautionary and prudent" move, Clement proposed a limited ban of the widely used chemical, also found in hard plastic sports bottles and the lining of food cans.

Health Minister Tony Clement surprised the chemical industry by announcing the government's plan to place bisphenol A on its list of toxic substances six months ago.
David McNew/Getty Images

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****Most Canadians "need not be concerned" about the health effects of bisphenol A, Clement said at the time. "This is not the case for newborns and infants."

The government's final decision will appear in the Canada Gazette, which publishes the official regulations of the government.

Rick Smith, executive director of Environmental Defence and co-author of the forthcoming book Slow Death by Rubber Duck: How the Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Life Affects Our Health, said the expected declaration is a "good start."

But he said new evidence continues to pile up, pointing to the detrimental health effects of bisphenol A on adults.

"There's new science coming out on a weekly basis pointing to this chemical being a health concern for adults. Baby bottles are a good start, but the government now needs to take a look at getting this chemical out of the lining in cans."

The latest research, the first large BPA study in humans published last month by the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association, found a "significant relationship" between exposure to the ubiquitous estrogenic chemical and heart disease, diabetes and liver problems.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is under fire after determining last month in a draft report that BPA was safe for food storage. On Thursday, the Washington Post published an editorial arguing the FDA's final recommendation, expected this month, could be "seen as less than fully independent."

The influential newspaper cited the recent donation of $5 million to the University of Michigan's Risk Science Center from Charles Gelman, the retired head of a medical device manufacturing company and outspoken proponent of bisphenol A.

The acting director of the university centre is Martin Philbert, a toxicologist who is also head of the FDA advisory panel poised to deliver its risk assessment of BPA.

Philbert did not disclose the gift to the agency as part of the disclosure process when he was appointed to the panel; he told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel he did not need to, since he does not stand to gain from it. The FDA is looking into a possible conflict of interest.

I'll be back later to post what the U.S.A. had to say in their final report. In the mean time read this one and I will lock it so to keep it on topic.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:09 pm

Read the above post first to see what Canada had to say and then come to this one to read what the U.S.A finings were.

Read the full transcripts (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/media/que ... ks-bpa.cfm).

What did the NTP conclude?
The NTP reached the following conclusions on the possible effects of current exposures to bisphenol A on human development and reproduction. Note that the possible levels of concern, from lowest to highest, are negligible concern, minimal concern, some concern, concern, and serious concern.

The NTP has some concern for effects on the brain, behavior, and prostate gland in fetuses, infants, and children at current human exposures to bisphenol A.

The NTP has minimal concern for effects on the mammary gland and an earlier age for puberty for females in fetuses, infants, and children at current human exposures to bisphenol A.

The NTP has negligible concern that exposure of pregnant women to bisphenol A will result in fetal or neonatal mortality, birth defects, or reduced birth weight and growth in their offspring.

The NTP has negligible concern that exposure to bisphenol A will cause reproductive effects in non-occupationally exposed adults and minimal concern for workers exposed to higher levels in occupational settings.

Read the report: NTP-CERHR Monograph (http://cerhr.niehs.nih.gov/chemicals/bi ... phenol.pdf) (3.0MB).

"Some Concern" is right there in the middle of the bunch.

Most of the concerns have been addressed and brought to our attention. This thread has served us well. A big Thank You to all that have submitted the research and opinions.

We all need to evaluate for ourselves what we want to do about the beer cans being used as cooking pots. I know for a certainty that people are cooking in them as well as just boiling water in them. We have read that these cans were not meant to be used for cooking or boiling water. We have read that bpa leaches out from the lining. We learned that more information is forthcoming on the effect of bpa on adults. Alot of good information has come to light.

This thread will remain locked. Further comments can be sent to me directly and will be posted if deemed appropriate.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/