packing/gear lists

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
irrationalsolutions

packing/gear lists

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:09 pm

working on the planning for my thru hike i decided to start putting together a gear list. i'm still a ways off so i know it will change but it allows me to see where i need to focus on. since weight will be an issue i can start looking for alternatives for my heavier items. this whole process has me wondering what everyone else uses to get an idea of how to put my together. it aslo has me wondering about our kayaker here, what do you guys use?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Re: packing/gear lists

Post by DarenN » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:28 pm

as a kayaker, i never used to worry much about weight. volume is more of a concern. then i got to thinking, if i can be perfectly happy with fifty liters of volume on a hike, i should be able to convince myself to do the same on kayak trips. i'm working on it. my base weight is now under twenty pounds. sea kayaking requires that i carry all my fresh water. "water,water everywhere and not a drop to drink."

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:54 pm

DarenN wrote:as a kayaker, i never used to worry much about weight. volume is more of a concern. then i got to thinking, if i can be perfectly happy with fifty liters of volume on a hike, i should be able to convince myself to do the same on kayak trips. i'm working on it. my base weight is now under twenty pounds. sea kayaking requires that i carry all my fresh water. "water,water everywhere and not a drop to drink."

Daren.........
Now i don't get it water everywhere none to drink .Are you kayaking in the desert and seeing things :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:59 pm

oops56 wrote:Now i don't get it water everywhere none to drink .Are you kayaking in the desert and seeing things :lol: :lol:
you will get very sick (possibly die) if you drink sea water.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:19 pm

DarenN wrote:
oops56 wrote:Now i don't get it water everywhere none to drink .Are you kayaking in the desert and seeing things :lol: :lol:
you will get very sick (possibly die) if you drink sea water.
Ok i get it i thought you was on fresh water :oops: :oops:
Man play with fire man get burnt

russb

Post by russb » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:46 pm

I kayak, canoe and backpack. My gear lists are very similar. The only major difference is in packs. For the canoe I use an external frame pack which I can mount the canoe for portages. Othert than that, I still bring my hammock, tarp, cook gear and food. Volume is a consideration in the kayak, but since my backpack has even less volume than the 2 kayak holds, it isn't an issue.

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:46 am

Here's my gear list (pdf) for short hikes. I've found that the only thing I change between a 2 day trip and a 4 or 5 day trip is the amount of food I carry.

I bought a new lighter shelter, titanium pots, carbon fiber trekking poles, a water filter and changed a few things so this list isn't entirely up to date. It says 11.11 lbs carried and that's probably off a little. I cut about a pound with the new shelter but then the water filter adds that back. :roll: The water filter was a last minute purchase that I needed for a trip and it was on sale. I'm going to replace it with the Aquamira Frontier Pro Filter.

New items
- Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo E
- Snow Peak Mini Solo Cook Set
- REI Peak UL Trekking Polls (Adjustable)
- Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Filter
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:53 am

I don't know if anyones mentioned it yet or if you've found it on your own but an excellent source of information can be obtained from Sgt.Rocks site. No means am I trying to drive you away from this site or discouraging you from asking questions to your hearts desire, but he has written quite a few articles that opened my eyes to lightening up and that more money isn't always better. His article on dirtbagging for instance. Just pointing it out incase you didn't know about it. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:11 am

i've looked around sgt. rocks site before and he does have a lot of good info. the thing i was aiming more for with this thread and question was to compair the gear lists and see if the backpackers could pick up anything from the floaters and vise versa. i should have stated it that was before, sorry. :roll:
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:59 am

No need to apologize it's a good idea. I just wasn't sure if you were aware of the site or not. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"