happy holidays

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
DaddyMnM

Re: happy holidays

Post by DaddyMnM » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi Zelph,

I won't have time to work on this for a while; But the stove is an copper wick stove I made a while back. It was posted here previously. The light trick is a Coleman lantern mantel suspended over a Champagne cork cage which is placed over the burning wick. I was at a friend's house and we had sparkling wine after dinner. My friend's wife saw me looking at the wire cage with a puzzled look and she started to explain why sparkling wines needed it and normal wines didn't :? . My wife jumped in and informed her that I was a DIY stove nut and was not thinking of it's application to wine bottles :roll: . I simply said I was thinking of an alternate application ;) .

The lantern isn't a practical design yet. The mantel is too fragile and not well protected. It amazes me that they don't break more often in Coleman lanterns. I think the fact the Coleman lantern completely suspends the mantel is a significant factor. Touching the wire cage causes stress lines that break easily. I also didn't have a globe or windscreen for the mantel so the breeze affected it a bit. i did use your z-fold windscreen to cut the wind some for filming.

zelph

Re: happy holidays

Post by zelph » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:20 pm

DaddyMnM wrote:Hi Zelph,

I won't have time to work on this for a while; But the stove is an copper wick stove I made a while back. It was posted here previously. The light trick is a Coleman lantern mantel suspended over a Champagne cork cage which is placed over the burning wick. I was at a friend's house and we had sparkling wine after dinner. My friend's wife saw me looking at the wire cage with a puzzled look and she started to explain why sparkling wines needed it and normal wines didn't :? . My wife jumped in and informed her that I was a DIY stove nut and was not thinking of it's application to wine bottles :roll: . I simply said I was thinking of an alternate application ;) .

The lantern isn't a practical design yet. The mantel is too fragile and not well protected. It amazes me that they don't break more often in Coleman lanterns. I think the fact the Coleman lantern completely suspends the mantel is a significant factor. Touching the wire cage causes stress lines that break easily. I also didn't have a globe or windscreen for the mantel so the breeze affected it a bit. i did use your z-fold windscreen to cut the wind some for filming.
Look for a replacement mantel for an Alladen kerosene lantern. They are larger and have the support wire attached. Cost is about 5 bucks or so. Nice project, use a chimney in conjunction with the burner/mantle setup to get a hotter flame and a more stable flame.

It's humorus how we look at things and see stove parts :lol: :lol: :lol:

That copper wick was a solder removing material right? I'll look for the thread :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/