first aid kit

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
oops56

Re: first aid kit

Postby oops56 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Ok this sound crazy but it works i have done it twice a table saw cut and a knife cut. Cayenne pepper pore on a cut will stop bleeding and good for a heart attack first sigh of it look it up on a search lots of use for it. I keep them close by in the shop must get a small bottle for the car first aid kit yes there is a new unopen in the car med size
Man play with fire man get burnt

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:11 pm

update!

i found something that i am going to try for now at target. here it is...

it has a hinged top and seals tight. its small so im still working on what i want to put in it but i thnk i about have it figured out. when i get it down to what i have in it ill post a list. the only thing i dont like about it is the fact that its hard. i wanted something soft but it works. i think it was 5 bucks and full of stuff. i took most of it out because the bandaids and other stuff that comes in these things are crap in my opinion. but this is what i found so its whats up to be used until i find something better or it really p@#$%& me off and i throw it out.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:35 pm

ok i got a little ahead of myself and before i knew it i now have a fak that i think i can live with it. here is the list of what i have in it now...

1 red waterproof case
1 the wifes pads (to wrap a bad cut)
2 regular size bandaids
2 small waterproof bandaids
2 regular waterproof bandaids
2 nuckle bandaids
2 large bandaids
4 butterfly bandaids
2 sterri strips
2 alcohol pads
2 antiseptic pads
1 sting relief pad
1 burn cream
1 2x2 gauze
1 neosporin + pain relief
1 small tube super glue

and it all fits!!!

i carry other stuff like mole skins and antacids and alieve but all that is carried seperate so i dont have to open the kit for stuff i use more often.

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:26 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:ok i got a little ahead of myself and before i knew it i now have a fak that i think i can live with it. here is the list of what i have in it now...

1 red waterproof case
1 the wifes pads (to wrap a bad cut)
2 regular size bandaids
2 small waterproof bandaids
2 regular waterproof bandaids
2 nuckle bandaids
2 large bandaids
4 butterfly bandaids
2 sterri strips
2 alcohol pads
2 antiseptic pads
1 sting relief pad
1 burn cream
1 2x2 gauze
1 neosporin + pain relief
1 small tube super glue

and it all fits!!!

i carry other stuff like mole skins and antacids and alieve but all that is carried seperate so i dont have to open the kit for stuff i use more often.

Why a hard case? I'd bet that weighs almost a quarter of a pound. There's nothing in there that will be crushed that I can see. How about a quart sized freezerbag? It would be plenty tough and waterproof. If you're worried about toughness, you can put duct tape around the edge.

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:36 am

what happened to the drugs?

mmmmmm......drugs.....

I bring these

ibuprofin -pain
benedryl or zyrtec -antihistimine / sleep aid /rash reducer
pepcid plus -antacid / anti-acid
immodium -few things ruin a trip faster than the camper's nightmare.

I also plan on buying some zanfel next time I get poison ivy and throwing it in my first aid kit.
http://www.healthline.com/blogs/outdoor ... anfel.html

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:00 pm

well the "drugs" i carry seperate, as mentioned at teh bottom of the post. i said alieve but i also carry a couple goodys and advile. i carry a fewpepcid complete and two real asprin. the asprin arent for me but i figure if i happen across someone having a heartattack i might help them out some. and mole skin. the stuff i use more often i keep seperate. i learned that the hard way. the more i open the first aid kit the more of a chance i have of loosing stuff out of it.

the ziploc bag is what i moved a smaller version to but i didnt like that. i carry other stuff in ziploc bags and i wanted my fak to be something that i could know as soon as i see it. the hard case was just the first small one that i found around here that they didnt want an arm and a leg for. im not really happy with it but like i said its just until i find something better or i get too mad at it and trash it (or worse :twisted: .)

after i bought that i went to a different walmart a few days later and they had something that i did like a little better. its a small soft sided bag that looks like a mini backpack without the straps. it looks like it would fit a pair of socks and that about it. it was red and they had one that was marked first aid on it. i might end up with that later. im just gong to see how this works out for now. im working on a trip later on it a month or so if i can get it to pan out for me.

thanks for the input. im still looking around but i had the trip to the beach and i need something right then. so i bought what i could find. the more i think about it, this one might end up in the wifes car. i keep a big one in the car but she doesnt have one. and she doesnt need and bigone because unlike me she isnt trained in first responce. i dont do it for a living but i do have the training so i keep one around incase i need to stop and help someone until help shows up.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:45 pm

i said alieve but i also carry a couple goodys and advile.

HeHe, I caught that part. There are some goodys that are beneficial in an emergency first aid kit. ;)

Everyone should take a first responders course at least once in their life and take a refresher 10 years or so later or read the training manual. I was a voluntier firefighter and ambulance driver for the local FD for 10 years, that was a fun and enlightning experience.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:03 am

I like to keep a small sewing kit in my first aid kit. It's mainly for gear repair, but you can also use the needle to remove splinters and you can sew extreme cuts as well if the super glue and butterfly bandages can't handle it.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:10 am

thats a great idea. i do keep a sewing kit in the handle of my sewing awl. the new fak im trying out is too small to fit one in. in the last one and the large one in my car i do have a couple suture kits. fortunately ive never had to use them but once and that was on me and because of something stupid when i was younger.

its a great idea though. when i find a better case or pouch for my kit i may add the suture back since someone else thinks its a good idea. :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:12 pm

i may add the suture back since someone else thinks its a good idea.

Where can you get suture kits, the real ones with curved needles?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “General”