ridgerunner was right!

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Ridgerunner

Re: ridgerunner was right!

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:12 pm

IR, what is the lethal range on a blowgun ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Irvingdog

Postby Irvingdog » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:16 pm

I use a .40 cal "Spearhead hunting dart", but I buy them at the "Game Fair" here in Minnesota. Army surplus are also good places to get this stuff. It's only a guess, but I think that deer would be alerted to that squirrel chatter. It's so darn annoying!!! So much so, that I could probably sit motionless for much, much longer without that barking in my ear. I just can't get used to it, and I'm married!! The blowgun doesn't silence her, though.
I can recall taking at least 10 squirrel this way. Anywhere from 5 to 25 feet in distance. If you miss, they don't run far, and typically give you a second shot if you're patient. Yes; I have a small game license, and I eat my kill. With Lemon Grass and Asian basil over brown rice if you must know. Red wine. Cigar for dessert before I quit smoking.
/now I'm hungry

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:04 am

i agree with that. 25-30ft is about the most you can get out of it with any accuracy. i have been talking to a guy i used to work with about using poison tips. now i wouldnt use this method unless its a life or death situation. if you tip the darts you should be able to get bigger game. again only in a life or death situation.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 am

I was checking out that site you posted. Pretty nice and not much more expensive than an air rifle. The description under the .62 caliber cold steel blow guns said you could get up to 20 yards. That's pretty impressive. I might have to check these out when I get some green flowing around here. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:30 am

i've never played with a large caliber one like that. that sounds good. mine might go that far i really couldnt tell you. well i know it will go that far but mine isnt that accurate. i have a cheaper one and most of my darts are a little bent and the plungers are starting to bend. it appears that that website has a store in myrtle beach. i'm thinking about going down there in a couple monther i might have to stop by and see whats up. a better one might be in order.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:08 pm

Is it instict shooting? Like using a slingshot? Just raise it to your lips and let her ripp? Pooof-----thud!!!! Dinners on the spit ;)

Wives do have a tendancy to "bark" and be annoying :lol: :lol:

Once you quit the cigars you were able to get closer to your game, both in the woods and at home :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 pm

as far as aim you can think about it like this. you hold it to your mouth so its between your eyes so the side to side aim is easy. the up and down is a little harder to get down but not much. like i said in a earlier post they have one with sights on it now. also when i said a new one might be in order i think iam going to get a longer one. they have a long 2 piece one that i'm looking at. the longer the more accurate at a longer range.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:50 am

Yeah I was noticing that they have a two piece 5 foot model and then while looking around noticed they sell 2 foot extension tubes for it. Just from watching a few things here and there I've noticed that the ones they use in the Amazon with the poison tree frog darts are at least 7 foot that's pretty neet that theirs are made out of wood like that. I think it would be cool if you could get one that would double as a walking stalve. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Irvingdog

Postby Irvingdog » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:57 am

zelph wrote:Is it instict shooting? Like using a slingshot? Just raise it to your lips and let her ripp? Pooof-----thud!!!! Dinners on the spit ;)

If you look where it's going, it will go where you're looking. It is complete instinct shooting, but I've heard you can get them with sights. I'm no "blow-gun savant".

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:50 am

Irvingdog wrote:
zelph wrote:Is it instict shooting? Like using a slingshot? Just raise it to your lips and let her ripp? Pooof-----thud!!!! Dinners on the spit ;)

If you look where it's going, it will go where you're looking. It is complete instinct shooting, but I've heard you can get them with sights. I'm no "blow-gun savant".

Thanks Irvingdog. I just may look into one of these little weapons. I may even renew my interests in slingshots.(not wrist rockets) I have a DIY aluminum one laying under something around here.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “General”