Remote Fueling for Alcohol Stoves

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
DarenN

Re: Remote Fueling for Alcohol Stoves

Post by DarenN » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:50 pm

realityguy wrote:Okay..that(or this).. may have been a dumb question..is it possible to regulate the fuel to control the burn of an alcohol stove?...or is it only controlled by controlling the air flow?(I'm learning..I hope!) :?:
i built a remote fuel setup back in November that i was able to get to simmer by controlling the amount of fuel fed to the burner. i'm not sure if it would work with a pressurized jet type stove, like the Pepsi-G, but it worked nicely with a Super Cat.
pics here:

http://bplite.dreamhosters.com/viewtopi ... =43&t=1313

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:19 pm

Okay!Looks like a nice idea..thanks!..Did you try the bottle in other positions besides hanging?..just wondering because I seem to recall most campgrounds don't have an IV drip setup... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:42 pm

realityguy wrote:Okay!Looks like a nice idea..thanks!..Did you try the bottle in other positions besides hanging?..just wondering because I seem to recall most campgrounds don't have an IV drip setup... :lol:
........ but they do have trees with branches that you could tie a string to. :mrgreen:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:29 pm

I guess what I was asking is...Does gravity make much of a change hanging the bottle verses laying on its side?..say on the ground...or a slightly higher rock?Does the elevation of the bottle change the flow rate of alcohol and the high/low burn rate?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:42 pm

realityguy wrote:Okay.."remote fuel supply"..question..Does this mean "at any possible burn rate"(say always high) or is this going to include "an adjustable burn rate"?..Is this just adding to a stove to keep it "in fuel" or is this a "measured fuel rate to control the burn" potential?
I hope that's not a dumb question..but one I think it should be answered...
The ideal situation is to have your stove adjustable. Remote fuel supplies should be adjustable.

They could be made to burn on medium, one burn rate.

When we speak of "Stoves" we mean burner and potstand.

Preferrably stoves should be one piece to make life easy. Integrated potsupports, the ideal situation.

Should we be thinking large amounts of water to be heated when we talk remote fuel supplies???? Large amounts of water need extended burn times uninterupted? Are we thinking large pots to be used with remote fueled stoves????
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:01 am

when i think about the use of a remote fuel stove i think about several things. i think about to bake, boil large amounts of water, and not having to fuel the stove with the right amount of fuel for the use. take for example my camelbak bladder. it 3l, if i didnt bring my miniworks i would need to boil a lot of water to fill it up for the day. baking has to be done with lower heat but it still takes a while to do depending on what you are baking. and just to not have to worry about measuring the fuel. all that makes it worth it to me.

not to mention all the eggs you could fix. :DB: :o :DB:
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:02 am

The third reason for remote stoves is maybe weight reduction.
In theory, I think that the burners could be smaller since the fuel bottle you're going to carry your fuel in anyway is attached directly to the stove.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:41 am

realityguy wrote:Does the elevation of the bottle change the flow rate of alcohol and the high/low burn rate?
YES!!

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:24 am

Weight reduction is nice. The smaller we go, the less fuel capacity. A 1 inch diameter burner can only put out so many BTU's. The fuel to the burner needs to be regulated or else you'll get an overflow. If the fuel source has a valve to regulate flow, raising the container just above the level of the stove should be sufficient for a drip per min. flow rate. I don't see a need to have the fuel container at a high level.

I think "large amount of cooking time" when I think "remote fueling"
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:19 pm

To me its a good idea but to many things to brake off like the tube on stove if it got bump or the hose or hole gets loose then the un used fuel must be dump out into a container.Also un hook hose some will leak out. So not me no try you all have fun on yours. :| :|
Man play with fire man get burnt