Leather Boot Break-In..Any Hints?

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
realityguy

Leather Boot Break-In..Any Hints?

Post by realityguy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:07 am

About a year ago at this time I picked up a pair of Danner Mountain 2s or "light 2s"..all leather boots that supposedly didn't need a break-in period.Well..after an 8 mile day hike up a mountain and back..I beg to differ with that and ended up with quarter-sized red raw blisters patches alongside both heels..hobbled for a week after that.I quit wearing them then but really would like to break the d**n things in this year before hiking.
Some people say you should soak them and then wear them as long as you can a few times to break them in.I'm assuming they are talking soaking only the outsides,but I already have snow-seal on the things..Anybody have a similar problem?..any clues to painless boot break-in?.I've worn them around town but they still seem as new and I can't trust them yet.
Any help will be much appreciated!Thanks...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Re: Leather Boot Break-In..Any Hints?

Post by oops56 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:12 am

realityguy wrote:About a year ago at this time I picked up a pair of Danner Mountain 2s or "light 2s"..all leather boots that supposedly didn't need a break-in period.Well..after an 8 mile day hike up a mountain and back..I beg to differ with that and ended up with quarter-sized red raw blisters patches alongside both heels..hobbled for a week after that.I quit wearing them then but really would like to break the d**n things in this year before hiking.
Some people say you should soak them and then wear them as long as you can a few times to break them in.I'm assuming they are talking soaking only the outsides,but I already have snow-seal on the things..Anybody have a similar problem?..any clues to painless boot break-in?.I've worn them around town but they still seem as new and I can't trust them yet.
Any help will be much appreciated!Thanks...
Just wet the in side put a cup water move a round then dump out wear them.
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:31 am

I'll try anything at this point.. :cry: ...hate to let them just sit there!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:36 am

realityguy wrote:I'll try anything at this point.. :cry: ...hate to let them just sit there!
Thats how i use to brake in work boots

Mister Krabs

Post by Mister Krabs » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:52 am

That's an old cowboy boot trick, fill them with hot water overnight, then wear them around till they dry. Do NOT go hiking with them wet, just wear them around town or the house.

It's kind of like the cowgirls who buy their levi's small and put them on wet so they have some stretch to them. When they dry, they fit like a glove --a very tight glove. In fact they're so tight that if she bends over too far, she's likely to send a rivet flying off at a projectile speed of 1230 feet per second. :shock: OK, now I need a cold shower :o

Don't know if it would work with lined boots, but it's not like you have a big investment in them.

And heck, aren't boots made to get soaked?

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:47 am

Actually I did get them for a song..but they are the rebuildable stock and last people a lot of years if they are treated right.I'd just as soon not destroy them because they are too pricey for me to replace at about $250+ a pair.I doubt if I'd ever "find" another pair.
I asked the question because everything I heard was "soak them in water,then wear them"..but not one of those people/sites ever answered the question of "outside or inside also?".That's why I asked.I don't have a lot of faith in the way newer boots are built on the inside and don't care to make a mistake by not fully understanding the answer.
Now that people have explained more about that,I WILL fill them with warm water and put in some miles on the backyard trails once,twice,whatever it takes to make them work before setting out on longer hikes.Then I'll try some 4-5 mile short day hikes to make sure they will work(and carry some lightweight sneakers along) before anything serious..Thanks to all that answered! :P

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Tony!!!! Tony from down-under had an excellent site on boot versus runners etc. He may have heard something on how to trat your breaking in issue.

Everybody all at once call "TONY" maybe he'll hear us and stop on bye.

Blisters on the side of your heel? Boots too large? Need shrinking, do the water all over method and shrink um
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:02 am

The boots as I found them were stiff and new..still are.I don't think they are too big,they fit fine.Image

At the time I first used them,they were new,new,new..and I was stupid,stupid,stupid! :lol:
I think I just need to do the water soaking and get them flexing more across the middle of the sole also..just going to take time.I realize that.I have been wearing them around town when I can for 4 hours or so each time.
One thing..after years of construction,I have had problems with my arches,why I need a stiffer boot sole for long hauls.I would like to use runners but I think after a day or two I might have real problems with a lack of more support in the arches(bone spur type pains).The other Danners I got yesterday do have a good sole/arch system and feel like they will be adequate for my needs.These other ones will be really nice for longer treks over coarser areas where I won't be around salt water as I will be some times this summer.I'd rather not run the leather ones in the salt water,why the others will fit the bill better.
I'll save the other leather ones for more inland hikes,PCT sections,day and weekend hikes in the mountains east of Puget Sound or the valleys of ONP.
Once I do a few beach trips,I'll know if the lighter ones will be okay and not a problem.A lot of walking on sand,loose rocks,and slippery beach boulder hopping will tell that story.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:28 am

As long as they ain't broke, don't fix them :mrgreen:

Don't lace them up all the way, wear them for an hour a day and let your feet get accustomed to the movement of the boot. If you feel a tender spot use one of those "Mole" pad thingies

Don't do the water method. It will shrink the leather and make it more stiff. Use boot oil to soften the leather. Keep applying one coat after another the way the instructions indicate. No water!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Post by oops56 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:51 pm

zelph wrote:As long as they ain't broke, don't fix them :mrgreen:

Don't lace them up all the way, wear them for an hour a day and let your feet get accustomed to the movement of the boot. If you feel a tender spot use one of those "Mole" pad thingies

Don't do the water method. It will shrink the leather and make it more stiff. Use boot oil to soften the leather. Keep applying one coat after another the way the instructions indicate. No water!!!
You don't wet the hole boot just the bottom where you feet rest not to wet i have done it all last 35 years and i worked on concrete floors