Leather Boot Break-In..Any Hints?

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
realityguy

Re: Leather Boot Break-In..Any Hints?

Post by realityguy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:05 pm

Okay... :roll:

(Quote)Don't do the water method. It will shrink the leather and make it more stiff. Use boot oil to soften the leather. Keep applying one coat after another the way the instructions indicate. No water!!!

The outside has the boot oil(Norveign..stuff)..and the inside is lined so that won't work in there.

(semi-quote)"Just wet the bottom inside not the sides" ..that's not where I'm gettin' the blisters!The blisters were on the sides of the heel portion up on the lining,quarter sized raw spots on both sides.I think it's because the center of the boot sole wasn't really flexing from being broken in and flexing with the foot...I am going to flex them more across the center of the boot by hand,get that loosened up(and the side leather).
I'm pretty sure I'll just have to work on it for awhile...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:11 am

What is the inside lining made of ? Leather or fabric ? If it is leather, you might try rubbing in some saddle soap to soften the leather.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:03 am

That's the problem..the liner is fabric,except for the top of the tongue and down 2" on the other sides...If it was leather,I would rub some leather softener inside..
Oops!(not the person)..guess I should have posted this picture right from the start:

That'll explain why I was reluctant to fill it full of water..or at least get some opinions first.The Danner website pretty much says nothing for "break-in".I'm afraid the fabric might break down and self-destruct with too much water..or getting too wet.
The boots now probably have about 15-20 miles on them....only 8 on a trail the rest on hard surfaces...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:18 am

realityguy wrote:That's the problem..the liner is fabric,except for the top of the tongue and down 2" on the other sides...If it was leather,I would rub some leather softener inside..
Oops!(not the person)..guess I should have posted this picture right from the start:

That'll explain why I was reluctant to fill it full of water..or at least get some opinions first.The Danner website pretty much says nothing for "break-in".I'm afraid the fabric might break down and self-destruct with too much water..or getting too wet.
The boots now probably have about 15-20 miles on them....only 8 on a trail the rest on hard surfaces...
If they are size 11 i can brake them in for you wear them in the house i have 365 days a year vacation :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

beemerphill

Post by beemerphill » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:32 am

I can only tell you what I have picked up over the years.
The good news is that some shoe stores sell a product that comes in an arosol can. You spray it on leather and put on the shoe/boot and the leather stretches some. It seems to work for minor problems. I am not sure what the brand is. You will have to search your local shops or the net to find it.
The bad news is that if the boot doesn't fit properly from the start, it usually never will.
Everyone has a break-in method-very few work. You will probably be better off to sell these to someone who's feet likes these boots and shop around for a pair that fit properly.
I wish that I could give you better help. but this has been the way it has always worked for me.
:(

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:56 am

I have a couple thoughts. Use a wooden shoe stretcher in the heel of the boot. Also, these are boots, not blocks of sugar. I can't see where soaking them in water would be anymore harmful than walking thru a creek bed or a long day of hiking thru a driving rain. They will be soaked thru and thru. I would be tempted to soak them, wear them around the block once, put a shoe stretcher in them and let them dry out. reapply a leather softener and see if that does any good. The heel area will be harder to stretch that the toe area. You might want to stop by your local shoe repair shop for advice. We have two in the area.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:50 am

I was thinking of the shoe stretcher,been watching for one at the thrift stores lately with an adjustable heel piece for width.Of course since I started looking,they aren't coming out.You'll never go to a thrift store and find exactly what you went looking there for.You have to keep an open mind for other options ..My backyard has trails..figure a 500' loop or figure 8(with about 20 feet of vertical gain and loss)of similated trail conditions complete with a couple camp/hammock sites. I can walk about 10-11 times this weekend with the semi -wet boot interior to work it around a bit also..rather than flat concrete.I'll somewhat roll the water around in there to get up on the sides where the blistering happens before dumping it out and putting them on.Thanks...As a last resort,I can stuff a tennis ball in the heel of each boot for storage or whatever is needed..I WILL SUCCEED! :DB:

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:59 am

Go with a baseball...tennis ball will just squish back in.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:40 pm

While I was in town at the library today, I stopped at the shoe repair shop to get the cobblers opinion. He did have two suggestions. One: put moleskin on the problem area of the foot and two: use a product called LEXOL (used it on both my daughters stiff ice skates). He said to rub liberally it in the heel area daily and work the heels(flex) after application. He said that each day the leather will change with each application. The heel area of the boot is very stiff so keep working it. Other than that, his advice was, "Buy new boots". What size are they? :lol:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Before selling them..I'll work on them..they are I think 8-1/2 or 9,have one inside but I don't see a size listed,maybe on the other boot..But I don't plan on selling the things unless as a last resort.I think the baseball idea will probably work.Darn!..just got back from the thrift store and forgot about the baseball.I was even in the sports department and picked up a 1-2 person lightweight Eureka tent(gotta set it up to see which one it is)..Needless to say,my mind was elsewhere. :lol: I picked up a second tent for it's metal poles,some "packerware" superlite camping bowls(4 for a buck) and an interesting 12 volt toaster($5) "for the road".Now I can make toast in the car while sitting for 30 minutes on the ferries!Appears to be from the 60s-70s..never seen one before,plugs into the cigarette lighter,one slot.