Back from the Wind River Range Wyoming

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
hoz

Back from the Wind River Range Wyoming

Post by hoz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:45 pm

This year I talked my canoing partner into going on a hiking trip. I wanted to return to the mountains I climbed when I was younger. It's been 21 years since I paid them a visit.

I had a 75 mile through hike planned but age and poor physical conditioning conspired against me. I now know riding my bike at 700' elevation DOES NOT get me in shape for the mountains.

Believe me, it's no fun hiking when your heart and head is pounding like a triphammer, you're running out both ends, every move makes you gasp for breath and even bending over to tie your shoes makes you feel like passing out. We had to go to plan B, then C. By the end of the 2 weeks I think we'd been through the alphabet!

Our 11 day hike turned into 2, 4 day hikes with a rest day in between. Then we did the tourist thing and drove through the Tetons and Yellowstone before coming back home.

I was dismayed to see all the destruction the pine beetles have done to the trees. Seems the entire west is under attack. Whole mountains of dead and dying forests. It's a tragedy.

My homemade FanceeFeest worked great, consistently heating 2 cups of water with less than an oz of fuel. Thx to Zelph for the design.

Had a great time even though we had to modify our plans.

A highlight was hitching a ride as we hiked back to our put in point. (Our car was in town 75 miles away by dirt road.) I chatted with three hiking parties on the trail and the third took us all the way back to town. We had anticipated having to wait 2-3 days for a ride!

zelph

Re: Back from the Wind River Range Wyoming

Post by zelph » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:59 pm

:lol:
We had to go to plan B, then C. By the end of the 2 weeks I think we'd been through the alphabet!
At the end the plan was to get in better shape for the next hike :D
I was dismayed to see all the destruction the pine beetles have done to the trees. Seems the entire west is under attack. Whole mountains of dead and dying forests. It's a tragedy
Time for the BLM to do a controlled burn to clean up the areas and get new growth going.
A highlight was hitching a ride as we hiked back to our put in point. (Our car was in town 75 miles away by dirt road.)
Nice to know there are still areas that you can feel safe to hitch a ride :D
My homemade FanceeFeest worked great, consistently heating 2 cups of water with less than an oz of fuel. Thx to Zelph for the design.
:D
Someone on WB just ordered one today.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Re: Back from the Wind River Range Wyoming

Post by hoz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:50 pm

In our case hitching a ride was a necessity. Our car was in Pinedale Wy and an outfitter was scheduled to pick us up at the other end of the Range in 7 days!

I posted something about the FF stove on WB today. Wonder if your new order was that guy...