a gram weenie is born

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
sarah

a gram weenie is born

Post by sarah » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:54 pm

Just gotta give a shout out regarding Zelphs Fancy Feest stove...Awesome! How efficient, affordable, and sooooo light weight and the kicker, works great in cold weather ;)

So I'm sure ya'll thinking "uh yah duh, tell us something we don't know", but it's new to me. Man that thing weighs nothing! Now I just gotta tweak some of my other gear...

zelph

Re: a gram weenie is born

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:14 pm

sarah wrote:Just gotta give a shout out regarding Zelphs Fancy Feest stove...Awesome! How efficient, affordable, and sooooo light weight and the kicker, works great in cold weather ;)

So I'm sure ya'll thinking "uh yah duh, tell us something we don't know", but it's new to me. Man that thing weighs nothing! Now I just gotta tweak some of my other gear...
:D Thanks Sarah!!!! cold weather sure has arrived. I've been testing sleeping bags the last 3 days and stoves. My down bag, an old eddie beaur heavy weight, won head over heels. Once in the bag, come morning no way did I want to get out at 27 degrees outside air temp. We had a hard freeze 2 days in a row. Big 4 day camp out this week beginning Wed. It's a big family get together at a local county campground. All the 90 campsites get filled for a Holloween Trick-or-Treat fun time. My son-in-law and I will be in a tent and the rest in the warmer camper. :roll:

Sarah, don't skimp on sleeping bag weight. Get an "extreme cold" bag filled with down :D A good warm nights rest will make you a happy hiker/camper ;) It's ok to travel fewer miles per day because of the extra weight, as long as you get a good nights rest. Leave the iPod at home :o add more down to your bag :D

Thanks for the complimentay post. Oh, the drapery clip for the windscreen is not usually included, I couldn't find the large paper clips. :mrgreen: :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Man!That's really a cruel thing to do!..weighing her down with a curtain hook verses a large paper clip! :o

:lol: ..just teasing ya... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:36 pm

regarding good down sleeping bags.
at first i was reluctant to go to down over synthetic because i'm a sea kayaker and the climate is damp. ok, it's wet. possitively soggy. i had no problems with the down bag i used all this past summer. 5 week-long trips and few over-nighters. the neat trick with down bags is that you get more insulation for less weight and less volume. the two newer bags that i have also seem to have a water resistant outer shell. over a rainy night in a single wall tent, i had a condesation issue. there was a puddle between my feet that never soaked in and just rolled right off when i moved.

don't worry too much about becoming a "gram weenie". ;) it happens to all of us. you wouldn't believe the amount of crap i used to carry in my kayak. now other kayakers laugh at the small stature of my kit. but only till they are on their third load from the beach. :lol: then i'm the one that's laughing while sipping fine refreshments that i now have room to carry! oh the irony!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

sarah

Post by sarah » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:21 pm

Yeah, I've got a 15 degree synthetic that I've had for a while and I can't believe I'm admitting this...recently purchased one of those military modular systems 9 lbs. :shock: my thoughts on this were if I went this route I wouldnt have to by a "summer" bag I could use the 30 degree bag. No way am I carrying that thing around. I still plan on testing it to see how low I can go, good for car camping, but now Im 140 bucks in the whole and still don't have a warm bag for my thru. Its been suggested to me to get a zero degree down bag. I wish those things were free.

Have fun camping Zelph. Stay toasty. If you wanna try out the Warbonnet Blackbird sometime I'd be happy to send it...I just hate the idea of ya'll nice guys having to sleep on the ground ;)

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:52 pm

if you are going to be hiking in the summer months there really isn't any reason to get a bag that is rated below the freezing point. i have a down bag that is rated at -12C (10F) that i really hope i never need to use.

i went back to tents after useing a Hennessy. i found the HH too cold, even with an under-quilt that i made for it.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:42 pm

Yeah, I've got a 15 degree synthetic that I've had for a while and I can't believe I'm admitting this...
Can't it be used as a quilt during the summer? cut it in half lengthwise, sew on a zipper, use the one half as a quilt. When you get into the cooler temps zip on the other half. :geek:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:52 pm

zelph wrote:
Yeah, I've got a 15 degree synthetic that I've had for a while and I can't believe I'm admitting this...
Can't it be used as a quilt during the summer? cut it in half lengthwise, sew on a zipper, use the one half as a quilt. When you get into the cooler temps zip on the other half. :geek:
Nice thought, Zelph but a 4 1/2 lb quilt....ouch and zipped together for 9lbs.....double ouch. I would think you could find an economical winter bag under 5 lbs. How bulky is a 9lb bag? Sarah, I have an Eddie Bauer bag that is rated well below freezing and i love the bag but it is too heavy and too bulky to pack. I did one time...never agaiin. It is my go to hunting, car camping bag. I have a Marlboro bag that is rated down to 0* but is slightly too restricting for my big frame, so it is in storage. Check out Campmor bags. They usually have a 15*-20* bag for $139.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:34 am

thats why i like being int he south. i really dont need anything that warm. but i do have the stuff just incase.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

sarah

Post by sarah » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:44 pm

DarenN wrote:if you are going to be hiking in the summer months there really isn't any reason to get a bag that is rated below the freezing point. i have a down bag that is rated at -12C (10F) that i really hope i never need to use.

i went back to tents after useing a Hennessy. i found the HH too cold, even with an under-quilt that i made for it.
Not exactly summer, due to my sister getting married in July, I'm kinda forced to start out at springer first week of Feb. It's gonna be cold!

I just got back from trip up to the north shore area SHT, and we woke up to snow saturday morning. Saturday night got down to 16 degrees someone was saying with the wind shield factor. If it hadnt been for a friend bringing extra underquilts I would have froze. I just don't want to get out there and get off the trail due to being ill prepared.

I will check out those campmor bags. Have you had any experience with them? It's bad of me to assume, I just figure lower priced items don't work as well.

Daren...did you sell your Hammock and UQ?