a gram weenie is born

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
DarenN

Re: a gram weenie is born

Post by DarenN » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:58 pm

sarah wrote:Daren...did you sell your Hammock and UQ?
no. i kept my HH and UQ setup. i'll still probably use it in the warmest parts of the year, or hiking in the mountains, (which i haven't done in a couple years. having way too much fun out on the ocean).

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:04 pm

sarah wrote:Yeah, I've got a 15 degree synthetic that I've had for a while...
IMHO, Western Mountaineering or Montbell are good sleeping bag options.

My 20 F degree WM Ultralite has served me well so far at ~33 ounces.

Personally, I think 20 F degrees is a little warm in the heart of the summer in northern Minnesota. My next purchase will likely be the 35 F degree WM Highlite. At 16 ounces it'll cut an entire pound off my pack weight.

I went hiking in the Absaroka Beartooth mountains this September and we had one bitter night at about 9200 feet. We woke up to frost all over everything but I was warm that night. I was wearing all my clothes in my sleeping bag (I'm a cold sleeper) and did just fine.
frostyNight.jpg
This picture was taken when we woke up that morning. My friend Mark was sleeping out on the ground in a bivy. lol!
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:50 pm

I was wearing all my clothes in my sleeping bag (I'm a cold sleeper) and did just fine.
I have the most uncomfortable feeling when I sleep with my clothes on. I don't even try anymore.

Do hammock hangars sleep with their clothes on?????

Do they just throw privacy to the wind and take their clothes off with their neighbors close by? Tents have privacy, do hammocks?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Irvingdog

Post by Irvingdog » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:48 pm

zelph wrote:Do hammock hangars sleep with their clothes on?????

Do they just throw privacy to the wind and take their clothes off with their neighbors close by?
It all depends on the tarp.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:17 am

and with some hammocks, the sides are high enough that you could shed your shirt or britches undetected unless someone is standing next to your hammock but by lowering the sides of the rainfly, you have excellent privacy. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:44 am

Make your hammock with higher sides like this one...Image

As you can see,I'm way down in the hammock with a 44" base and 8" sides(that go to about 1" at the end) only in the middle.Even the 44" wide one does get me enough privacy to change clothes in the hammock but it is pretty tight.If your material is 60" wide,you shouldn't have problems..and a dropped-edge tarp covers more yet..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:43 pm

So thats what you hammockers do, shed your clothes and put them on while in the hammock?

russb

Post by russb » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:50 pm

zelph wrote:So thats what you hammockers do, shed your clothes and put them on while in the hammock?

I use the hammock as a chair just like I would at home. The tarp is higher than any tent I have owned, I can stand under it. i have found it is easier to change clothes with a hammock than it was with a tent, and the tarp provides just as good privacy (depending on the tarp setup).

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:11 pm

russb wrote:
zelph wrote:So thats what you hammockers do, shed your clothes and put them on while in the hammock?

I use the hammock as a chair just like I would at home. The tarp is higher than any tent I have owned, I can stand under it. i have found it is easier to change clothes with a hammock than it was with a tent, and the tarp provides just as good privacy (depending on the tarp setup).
Thanks for your input on this. I would doit that way also insted of try to do it laying down. so it depends on the tarp setup.......

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:13 am

so it depends on the tarp setup......
and where your neighbors are parked..if you have any.The last few hikes I haven't had any so that was done outside,not in the hammock.If you had to..you could do it in the hammock.
Also..avoid half-zippered sleeping bags in hammocks.Those are a royal pita to get in and out of...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy