Coffee

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
shingaling

Re: Coffee

Post by shingaling » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:05 am

Alright, ok, there's lots of ways to make coffee, but I'll bet you've never heard of this ultra, ultralight method before: You've probably heard of MRE's - the prepackaged food they have in the military. There are little packets of instant coffee inside, and I remember back in Desert Storm coming across some gung-ho types who used the instant coffee like "dip" (the nickname for short-cut chewing tobacco). Just pull out your lower lip, and stick in a 'pinch' of instant coffee and suck on it for a few hours! :DB:
I think someone should try it out, and report back to us...
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

sudden

Post by sudden » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:13 am

Everything went fine until i put the hot water in :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:21 am

I think someone should try it out, and report back to us...
Around here it should be the person that posted the idea...

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:03 pm

We need someone that has or is still using the dip method for nicotine intake to test the instant coffee dip. any one out there sippin the "juice"

Ugggh, makes me want to upchuck just thinking about swallowing some juice...............not good!!!!! :mrgreen: makes me green thinking about it :DP:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:49 am

I actually saw someone lick freeze-dried coffee from their hand, deliberately. They added more.

I shudder, telling the story.

I have got an idea: I finally saw a GSI peppermill in the store and since it is reasonably lightweight (although plastic) I got one. I am thinking, if I break up a few coffee beans no bigger than the size of peppercorns, I could grind the coffee fresh.

The GSI mill seems to be adjustable for grind.

Bad idea? Good idea?

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:24 pm

The GSI mill seems to be adjustable for grind.

Bad idea? Good idea?
Good idea :D

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Used to use the GI coffee and some cocoa mix and made "ranger pudding". After eating some of the nastier MRE's that was a welcome treat.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:20 pm

Bad idea? Good idea?
I don't think grinding the coffee fine you need at home and carrying it in a ziplock before leaving on a trip would make much of a difference in the taste of the coffee if the trip was a reasonably shorter one..An extended thru-trip might make a difference and you would have to renew your source anyway,probably from a store that has a grinder or sells preground stuff.
I would think carrying a baggie of pre-ground coffee on a weeklong trip would save you the weight of packing the grinder itself...and carrying a bag of half ground coffee..Unless you think the grinder itself would hold all you need.The difference in the weight of a ziploc bag is pretty minimal though,and probably keep the coffee fresher if you squeeze the air out..
I pregrind and vacuum pack mine with a foodsaver..can't get fresher than that.If it's needed over a long period of time,I could bag/seal up smaller portions in each bag.If you are mailing packages ahead..that I think would be the best way to go also...prepack everything for that section of the hike and have the boxes ready for mailing.Vacuum packing takes all the air out..in fact a lot of better brands sell it on the shelf vac/sealed,ground or as beans.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:12 pm

JBRanger wrote:Used to use the GI coffee and some cocoa mix and made "ranger pudding". After eating some of the nastier MRE's that was a welcome treat.
That musta been interesting, don't think I'd be able to swallow it. Sounds harsh!! :D

RG, grinding coffee in the field sounds like fun and it would smell sooooooooo goooood!!!!!!!!! fresh ground, fresh brewed, don't get any better than that :mrgreen:

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:17 pm

I pregrind and vacuum pack mine with a foodsaver..can't get fresher than that.If
it's needed over a long period of time,I
could bag/seal up smaller portions in
each bag.
I have three different vacuum pack devices I have for repackaging food at the trailhead.

To avoid food odors in my pack, I have an Opsak.

I don't have coffee often, but when I do I like full-flavor "peaberry" coffee.

I figure I can grind enough coffee for one sitting, and then, perhaps, clean the GSI mill (maybe brush it out, then rinse) and have no food odors in my pack.

Zelph, thank you, for reminding me about the aroma of grinding coffee.

<sigh>