Hunting season

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
gregb

Hunting season

Post by gregb » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:42 pm

What do you think about hiking the AT on the first day of rifle season in MD? Would it be safe or stupid? I was thinking of an overnight trip next weekend.

zelph

Re: Hunting season

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 pm

Wear bright orange clothing and use ground hugging tent of bright orange color. Cover your pack with high visibility orange fabric and make lots of "man" noises. blow a shrill whistle once in a while.

If you see a deer run by, hit the ground, spread eagle, bullets may soon follow. I gave up hunting in Wisconsin because of bullets whizzing over my head, bouncing off the low branches..........bad feeling :D

Enter the at a busy suburban point, stay as far away from good deer territory. silly me :mrgreen:

Shotgun season might be a different story, rifle season, forget it :o ..............silly me :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:22 pm

Cover your pack with high visibility orange fabric and make lots of "man" noises
Just belch and fart a lot..They'll think you are just another hunter.. :lol:

Yeah..some 15-16 year old kid around here bagged a hiking fat lady last year that was wearing a dark brown coat during bear season.She'd bent down to tie her shoe or something..First time hunting,no adult supervision,one shot,one kill... :roll:

Personally the wife and I stick to the real low(and beach) trails and do wear the orange during hunting season if we go at all...

Around here..they give a bunch of them guns and ammo,all the alcohol they can consume the night before at the campground,and set them loose to shoot anything that moves at first drunken light...Gees! :o No thanks...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

gregb

Post by gregb » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:02 pm

Yeah, sounds like a bad idea. I should have bought that orange vest today...

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:13 pm

gregb wrote:Yeah, sounds like a bad idea. I should have bought that orange vest today...
Contact the Department of Natural Resouces in your area and findout if there is a section of the trail that is off limits to hunting, worth a shot (hehehe ;) )

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:41 pm

Yeah, sounds like a bad idea. I should have bought that orange vest today...
Yeah..if you're lucky,you won't run into one that is colorblind.. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:25 pm

Around here..they give a bunch of them guns and ammo,all the alcohol they can consume the night before at the campground,and set them loose to shoot anything that moves at first drunken light...Gees! No thanks...
As a hunter, I would just like to say that there is a few in everysport that give a bad rap to the majority. Ethical hunters ALWAYS identify their quarry to make sure it is legal game. I know I sleep well at night knowing I abide by regulations whether it be hunting,fishing, hiking, camping, or anything else. I will confess, I'm far from perfect, I do have a lead foot at times. :lol: It's not a good feeling having bullets or shot whizzing by you. That is one of the reasons I rarely shotgun hunt deer on public land. Bow hunting makes one get real close with their game. Wear orange, maybe some bear bells, and see if hiking is allowed during gun season! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:42 am

personally i would stay away. i hunt but its on private land and its posted that unless you have permission you will be shot so i dont worry about hunting but hiking i know too many dumb people that hunt and i dont want to take a chance. but thats just my two cents. whatever you do have fun! ;)
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

gregb

Post by gregb » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:16 am

Ok, I've changed my plans. I'll do a 6 mile day hike on Friday headed north to the PA state line. That will be the last day of bow season this month and the day before rifle.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:26 pm

gregb wrote:Ok, I've changed my plans. I'll do a 6 mile day hike on Friday headed north to the PA state line. That will be the last day of bow season this month and the day before rifle.
Way to go!!! :D Where there is a will, there is a way. :D Have a great hike, watch for the migrating birds.