Bill Ballowe - Whitebox Stove

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Bill Ballowe - Whitebox Stove

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:38 pm

Bill Ballowe has his WBS stove listed on eBay and makes claims about the "Cobalt" stove that are not true. (I have a vested interest in the “Cobalt” stove)

He states that his data was taken from:
backpackinglight.com, whiteblaze.com, bplite.com, backpacker.com and a couple other web sites.

Can anyone here point me to the forum that will show proof of these following claims made by him?

The following are quotes from his listing on eBay:

The maker of the cobalt brags that he tests his stoves under optimal conditions but confesses he has not tested his copycat stove in the wind

I will admit one thing about the cobalt stove.. it only took the maker 2 years of experimenting with the
White Box Stove to come close to making a stove that is almost comparable to the White Box Stove. To bad his videos don't tell the whole truth.

Here are some unsolicited test results done by independent stove owners that compares the White Box Stove to the copycat cobalt stove. This data was taken from backpackinglight.com, whiteblaze.com, bplite.com, backpacker.com and a couple other web sites. Remember this data was unsolicited and freely published by people doing their own independent testing.

White Box Stove to be up to 25% more efficient than the cobalt copycat stove.

White Box Stove VS cobalt stove
Bloom Time Bloom Time
10 to 30 seconds with primer plate Advertised at 10 sec but their online video shows 90 secs

When properly using a primer plate the White Box Stove will bloom faster than the cobalt stove. Don't be fooled by videos that have been "fixed" to show that one stove works better than another.

These two tests are the true test of how efficient a stove really is. The following data was non-solicited and taken from the same web sites listed above and was published online by independent stove users.
White Box Stove cobalt stove
*1/2 oz of fuel Avg burn time... 7 minutes *1/2 oz of fuel avg burn time...5 min 45 seconds
*1 ounce of fuel Avg burn time 12 min. *1 ounce of fuel Avg burn time 9min 45 sec
*Avg time to boil 2 cups of water is 5 min 45 secs. *Avg to boil 2 cups of water is 7 min 30 secs
*Maximum amount of fuel 3 Oz. *Maximum amount of fuel 2.5 Oz.
*Maximum burn time 27min. *Maximum burn time 20min15 sec.
*Remember these are unsolicited results obtained from online posts by independent owners
who tested both of these stoves.

My "wicketized" cobalt stove wouldn't light in cold weather, d*** just another piece of junk to hide from my wife... the White Box always performs the best.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Re: Bill Ballowe - Whitebox Stove

Post by hoz » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:22 am

Sounds like he's on the attack. What an axxhole.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:42 pm

I would venture to guess that some of his info came from some of Tinnys koolaid drinking cult members who are just blowing smoke up Tinnys kilt. :o You can search the other sites for post on your stove. One must think that sales have dipped for Bill to resort to such advertising and not just selling his WB based on the positive feedback he has had over the years. Sales are down everywhere during these recessionary times.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:32 am

No other aluminum bottle stove is made from 100% recycled material.
This is on the WhiteBox website, and is a statement which is quite obviously false on the face of it.

His E-bay site has
The largest fuel capacity of any aluminum bottle stove...3 Ounces
Don't you now make a 5oz Cobalt?
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:35 pm

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:42 pm

Vibe wrote:
No other aluminum bottle stove is made from 100% recycled material.
This is on the WhiteBox website, and is a statement which is quite obviously false on the face of it.

His E-bay site has
The largest fuel capacity of any aluminum bottle stove...3 Ounces
Don't you now make a 5oz Cobalt?
It malfuntioned at 5 and is now considered a 4oz :D Largest functioning bottle stove. Blooms like right now!!!! I'll have to get back to that one soon.

Personal opinion here.....I would rather not attempt to go over 2 ounces. Reason....if knocked over that's alot of fire to contend with. :o :shock: Anyone using 3 ounces is tempting fate......better off going with a canister.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:04 pm

Anyone using 3 ounces is tempting fate......better off going with a canister.

I haven't done it..but just wondering..What happens if you do turn over a canister stove when it's burning full bore? :o ..Anyone done that here? Does the flame remain the same when doused with the liquid in the bottom of the canister?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Not happened to me, good question, hope we can get an answer from someone that it happened to. maybe Dlarson. I stuck that in there to see if he has his eyes on :lol: I know he's super busy these days.