First hike

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
gregb

First hike

Post by gregb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:03 am

I made it out Friday. Roughly five miles in five and a quarter hours including stops for breakfast, lunch, snacks, taking pictures and stuff. Although I was only out for the day, I packed a sleeping bag, an extra meal and 3 liters of water.

I'm out of shape and was feeling it today(Saturday). I was like a turtle on the hills, like right out of the truck and again after crossing 491. The last mile I was beat but had to make it there so I could be picked up. The rocky down hill from High Rock was hard on my bad knee. I haven't had any problems with it for 20 years.

I had on rain pants over fleece over a thin wicking layer but later found the rain pants were soaked inside and I took them off. Not having an outer layer for wind, my temp changed with the wind.

I saw more than 12 people headed south while I was going north, including a group of 5 or 6 with a dog headed for WV.

Not bad overall but I could be in better shape, get some better gear and misery loves compay.

Pictures are here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 42c3176b1f

DarenN

Re: First hike

Post by DarenN » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:52 am

nice pics Greg!

what stove were you useing? what was your pack weight?
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:50 pm

Nice pics!..I need to get out somewhere also,but they keep predicting rain so we've put it off,and it turns out nice..GRRR!We end up working in the yard trying to winterize the place and clean up the "Fall" mess(maples,alder,dogwood,hazels,and fruit trees) It appears you could make a killing selling spray paint out of a small booth alongside the trail.. :evil: ..Fortunately we don't seem to have a similar problem here.That type of attitude can ruin many a hiker's good day... :cry: I will admit I've seen some on our trails and prominent points..but very little if any at all.Unfortunately because of the isolation it's a hard problem to correct..Maybe some stops at entry points with cavity searches could reduce the future graffiti :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Irvingdog

Post by Irvingdog » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:56 pm

realityguy wrote:Maybe some stops at entry points with cavity searches could reduce the future graffiti :lol:
I know a "Tiny" guy who might volunteer for that job. He's got a water candle to see what he's looking for...

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:21 pm

Hmm..water candle in one hand,wear a funny face,and trekking pole in the other hand..That oughta work.. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

gregb

Post by gregb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:29 pm

I used a simple cat stove but found it wasn't as efficient on the trail. Even 1oz of fuel didn't bring it to a rapid boil but seemed hot enough to rehydrate the meal.

I don't know the pack weight, we don't even have a scale to weigh myself.

There was a 30% chance of precep and it turned out to be sleet but didn't start till i was done and waiting on my ride. The good thing about sleet is it bounces off :lol:. It was cold and windy most of the day and I was glad to get off the ridges.

The vandalism was at High Rock which is accessible by car but the AT wasn't touched. Hang gliders used it but the platform was burned down some time ago and I don't know if they still use it. The signs listing their requirements are still up.

I don't know what a water candle is and it sounds like he's busy with his head up his own cavity :lol:.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:11 pm

Wow, I felt your tiredness reading about your adventure and felt the cold also.....brrrrr

The view from the top was well worth the climb and sweat. So they hang glide off that ledge huh, no thanks........

The way you approached your hike was ok.....If you had lightened your needs, you would still have found out you were "out of shape"..... Now you know what areas you need to work on ;) Work at your own pace, you'll get in shape. I will take my own advice and be alot better off come spring :D Thanksgiving dinners average 3,000 calories, I took in my share and will be more careful next time. I say that every year :o and I still pig out on all the pies that are available :oops:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/