Fishing while backpacking and hiking

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Fishing while backpacking and hiking

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:00 pm

Who likes to fish while on their hiking expeditions?

I do!!!!! But I don't do enough of it. Bummer. :cry:

Next spring I'm going to see if I can remedy that problem. I have a compact spin cast outfit that might work well for me.

Here is a photo of it. What do you use ?

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Fishing while backpacking and hiking

Post by oops56 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:30 pm

I got one but where to late it be ice fishing soon.
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:44 pm

oops56 wrote:I got one but where to late it be ice fishing soon.
Put on your insulated coveralls and catchem through the ice. :D

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi Zelph,

Absolutely awesome, where do I get one. Sometimes I do not want to take a long rod into some of the more difficult places but when I get there I wish I had something to fish with, I have tried the telescopic rods but I find the ones we get in Oz are a bit delicate and break too often. The compact spin cast device looks perfect.

Thanks for the post

Tony

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:34 pm

Tony wrote:Hi Zelph,

Absolutely awesome, where do I get one. Sometimes I do not want to take a long rod into some of the more difficult places but when I get there I wish I had something to fish with, I have tried the telescopic rods but I find the ones we get in Oz are a bit delicate and break too often. The compact spin cast device looks perfect.

Thanks for the post

Tony
I think the only place you'll find one is on ebay. This one is vintage. Came out of my fathers car ions ago. He carried it just in case he saw a good looking place to fish for a quick 1/2 hour. I've used an Ugly Stik(telescoping fiberglass this year as a Trek Pole and fishing pole. I'll post a photo of it.

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:20 pm

I use a heavy duty ice fishing jigging rod with a good spinning reel. I started using this when I bought my first truck. I often found that with bringing my regular spinning rod I was constantly getting snagged on the surroundin tree branches when I would cast. The shorter ice fishing rod solvedc this and has worked realy well for me. Only problem is in finding a new one they are only available from january through february here. :mrgreen:

I like your RONCO Pocket fisherman Zelph! I think I saw these available new last year but I don't remember the website. They look pretty nifty, how much do they weigh my Ice rod is maybe a pound at most? :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:37 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:I use a heavy duty ice fishing jigging rod with a good spinning reel. I started using this when I bought my first truck. I often found that with bringing my regular spinning rod I was constantly getting snagged on the surroundin tree branches when I would cast. The shorter ice fishing rod solvedc this and has worked realy well for me. Only problem is in finding a new one they are only available from january through february here. :mrgreen:

I like your RONCO Pocket fisherman Zelph! I think I saw these available new last year but I don't remember the website. They look pretty nifty, how much do they weigh my Ice rod is maybe a pound at most? :mrgreen:
I'll try to get a weigh on it soon.
Selling them again, well I'll be darn. Thats great!!!!
That's a good idea to use an ice fihing rod.
Just using a micro closed face reel with drag set lightly would suffice. Use a clear float as a means of weight to cast out using 2-4 lb. test line. Spiderwire preferably for the line. Just grab hold of the float and toss it out with wet or dry fly following behind a foot or so. Live bait also whatever is in hatch or available.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:51 pm

Don't talk about fishing i use do it years ago northing got done at home plus the wife out fish me.Now i got this early this summer got two yes one for the wife also the line to light must change it

Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:59 pm

oops56 wrote:Don't talk about fishing i use do it years ago northing got done at home plus the wife out fish me.Now i got this early this summer got two yes one for the wife also the line to light must change it

How does the rod flex when extended? Feel rhino tuff or wimpy?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:42 pm

How does the rod flex when extended? Feel rhino tuff or wimpy?
Yes, OOPs, Inquiring minds want to know? I've seen similar "pen rod and reels" in the sunday advertisement. I did not know if they could handle a couple pound trout or if you could cast light lures very far? What is your review of this pole?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !