Fishing while backpacking and hiking

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
oops56

Re: Fishing while backpacking and hiking

Post by oops56 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:47 pm

The pole is strong i bent it like it had a 4 lb. fish no brake the line that came with it a little i say 3 lb. test not try to cast yet reel a little cheap. make a good brook pole.
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:35 pm

"PERFECT" -------Very small and compact. I have a Diawa mini setup that is small to pack but gives you about a 5 foot pole, once together.

Last edited by Ridgerunner on Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:43 pm

Here is my recomendation to all you fisherman, but be warned this will way spoil you and you will never want to use mono filament again. POLYPRO- this stuff is super thin, super strong, does not stretch. I started using this line about 5 years ago and have since changed out all my line on all my poles with it. I have a 15 lb line that is 4 lb diameter it cast awesome and when you go to set the hook you just give a little flip of your wrist if you yank like you would with the stretchy monofilimant you would probably litterly yank the fish and it's lips right out of the water. I have recomended this stuff to anyone who asks me what do yo recomend for line and the problem they all have is this stuff is expensive and you usually have to buy it out of a catalog because most stores don't carry it. Walmart can get it during the summer for a very short time but you have to get the sporting goods manager to order it through there Maurice Rep. and the weights and colors they can get are limited. If you try it you will not regret it! except for the fact you will never want to fish with mono again! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:12 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:Here is my recomendation to all you fisherman, but be warned this will way spoil you and you will never want to use mono filament again. POLYPRO- this stuff is super thin, super strong, does not stretch. I started using this line about 5 years ago and have since changed out all my line on all my poles with it. I have a 15 lb line that is 4 lb diameter it cast awesome and when you go to set the hook you just give a little flip of your wrist if you yank like you would with the stretchy monofilimant you would probably litterly yank the fish and it's lips right out of the water. I have recomended this stuff to anyone who asks me what do yo recomend for line and the problem they all have is this stuff is expensive and you usually have to buy it out of a catalog because most stores don't carry it. Walmart can get it during the summer for a very short time but you have to get the sporting goods manager to order it through there Maurice Rep. and the weights and colors they can get are limited. If you try it you will not regret it! except for the fact you will never want to fish with mono again! :mrgreen:
What's the down side of it?

Does it have more water resistance than mono, or less?

Does it retain water on the spool?

I'll have to find an inhouse over the counter source to look and feel of it.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:58 pm

only downside I've ever found is you have to use clippers to cut it. you can't just bite it with your teeth like the mono. and you have to remember that if your pulling it out of your reel with your hands cause it will cut you. other than that I've never had a down side. I does where out after a while I just replaced it on all my rods after 4 years of use. Probaby didn't have to could of just stripped the first 100 feet and would have been fine. This stuff let's you know when not to use it if the color becomes pale then it's time to cut that part off. Try it Zelph but I'm warning you, you'll be spoiled and will end up hating mono. Hating mono can be costly.

One of the people I recomended this stuff to this summer bought one role I told him to put it on his favorite rod and reel. He didn't he put it on his spare and he ended up fishing the rest of the summer with his spare and bugging me every time he came in the store to see if I had it back in. I couldn't get it and he's still looking for it. They do sell it on ebay and cabelas but it's expensive. much nicer finding a walmart that can get it. I'm still trying to find the red color PROLINE but I'm glad I have what I got.

There is nothing like sitting on the shore flicking your wrist and sending your lure half way across the lake. You definately add to your casting range. I first used this stuff to replace my ten pound test, Ten pound test proline has a 2 pound diameter how far can you cast with 2 pound line, lol. I moved up to 15 lb test this year just because I got a really good deal on it through my store and now I cast with a 4 lb diameter line. PROLINE is the best thing I've bought for fishing since I bought my first rod and real. Try it you won't regret it! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:24 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:PROLINE is the best thing I've bought for fishing since I bought my first rod and real. Try it you won't regret it! :mrgreen:
I'm going to get a spool and try it :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/