in the field testing

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
cadyak

in the field testing

Post by cadyak » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:57 pm

I apologize for the long post.
Ive been brewing my tea mostly on the super stove recently, but got a real chance to test it and my Fire Mug in the Smokies this past week. My hiking buddy and I got in to the shelter well after dark and were hungry and ready for a cup of something hot.
the super stove:
Minutes after we got there three more guys show up. So all of us prepared to cook our supper. It was interesting to watch 5 people pulling out different variations of very new looking camping stoves, canisters, fuel bottles, fuel lines and begin to put them together, pump them up, etc.
I reached in my pack, whipped out my pot with my super stove and cook kit inside. The guy wearing the newest most expensive NF foul weather gear I have ever seen (yes I lusted over it) commented "thats one of those little alcohol stoves isnt it? I said yes. I had already fueled it and sparked it up when someone else said "thats all you have to do? just squirt the fuel in and light it up?"
I said yes. The original guy now says "those things are very inefficient. but for some reason all the through-hikers carry them." Now he is telling me a story for a minute or two about some wierd friend of his who made his own alcohol stove and how funny it is that the guy is proud of his own pepsi can stove. He almost has his stove pumped up, my water is starting to steam a little.
After telling me all of the benefits of his stove he puts a match to it and almost torches his whole face off twice in about 10 seconds. "this is just the priming process" It works a lot better once it gets going.
"oh" I said. "This doesnt really need priming at all." I look down and my water is boiling. (500 ml of near freezing water, not sure about the fuel amount , 1oz approx., maybe 9 minutes to rolling boil. still burned for a minute or two afterwards.) I hadnt tested in such cold conditions so I put a little more fuel in it than necessary.
The two younger guys in the group were very impressed and were directed to this site to learn more and purchase one for themselves.
p.s. I brewed with this stove all weekend including making tea just under an exposed ridge at night in sleet, rain snow mix, 30 to 40 mph winds. also in a torrential wind driven downpour on the way down the mountain on the last day. heating stuff 3 to 4 times a day with the super stove and the fire mug I used 7 oz of alcohol over 4 days.
Thanks again for stove Zelph.
more later

Ridgerunner

Re: in the field testing

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:22 pm

Good review kadyak. What part of the Smokies were you in?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:59 pm

campsite 48, pecks corner, and icewater springs. tough going on the 2nd and 3rd day with two feet of slushy snow right on the edge of the ridge at night. pretty high pucker factor.
I used my pack, my food bag and a tall windscreen to block the wind on Mt Kephart sat.and pitched a tarp to sit under and brew tea and put some dry clothes on while descending the dry sluice trail sunday so that I could sit down and wait almost an hour on my buddy.

Stuff I realized that I need to upgrade or bring on the next trip.
better foul weather gear. the new stearns stuff says it supposed to be breathable, but its not. I was wetter on the inside from sweat than on the outside. close to hypothermic.
boots, my feet are still shriveled up. (didnt help with the hypoth.)
sleep aid. (never taken one before, but couldnt go to sleep with 6 champion snorers in the shelter.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:14 pm

That was an exciting read cadyak. Made me timbers shiver :D I had a bad case of the shivers once and made me rethink my abilities to stay warm when on a hike.
After telling me all of the benefits of his stove he puts a match to it and almost torches his whole face off twice in about 10 seconds. "this is just the priming process" It works a lot better once it gets going.
:lol: that is so easy to picture it in my mind.....oh yes, priming a stove(or lantern for that matter) not something I cherish.
p.s. I brewed with this stove all weekend including making tea just under an exposed ridge at night in sleet, rain snow mix, 30 to 40 mph winds. also in a torrential wind driven downpour on the way down the mountain on the last day.
Warm fluids kept you going and kept hypothermia at bay.

It was an enlightning experience to say the least. Glad the stove came through for you and thanks for directing them to bplite for more information on stoves and things.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Good trip. I've never done any winter backpacking but might give it a try sometime.
sleep aid. (never taken one before, but couldnt go to sleep with 6 champion snorers in the shelter.
Sounds like most of you slept! :lol: Take earplugs next time!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

NePilgrim

Post by NePilgrim » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:07 am

Gr8 story Cadyak! There's been a few conversations I've had with others over the "inefficiency" of alcy stoves, comparing this to that, fuel consumption, temp, etc. In the end, I'm always eating while they're still fooling with their stoves, knobs, waiting for the bag meals to heat up, whatever :D . All the while trying to convince me that my stove is "inefficient." Gr8 story!