"bounce box" signup

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
DarenN

Re: "bounce box" signup

Post by DarenN » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:03 am

zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote:that MK1-UL is a prototype. i never did any boil tests on it.
3.5 minutes to boil two cups beats the original MK1. i'm pleased! :D
Do you have any of your ultralights out being tested by your paddling buddies? Do you have plans to make a batch and have them made available to the world? :D
not at this time.
i have very limited supply of the material and havn't bothered to try and source it out.
there's also an issue with punching holes in the very thin stainless steel.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:53 am

Ok, we'll be watching for something to materialize in the future. ;) Keep up the nice designs :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:25 pm

I am limited in internet, traveling. But I thought I provided a link or some information about punching holes in titanium, didn't I? I would think the number of methods for thin material that tears (titanium) would have something for you, DarenN.

I heard the water boiling, so I removed the lid.

I was wrong. Okay, not 3.5 minutes: 3 minutes 14 seconds to boil 2 cups of water. It was a rolling boil when I lifted the lid to look. I heard the water boiling, so it was actually less time than that.

It was 3.5 minutes for the flames to settle down to put the pan on the fire.
Last edited by ConnieD on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:58 am, edited 6 times in total.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:31 pm

i do have something i want to try.
we have hole cutting tools at work called "annular cutters". they look something like a holesaw. i think i can rig up a 'stack drilling' system with 1/4" aluminum on either side and clamped together.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:00 am

i cut and drill holes in thin metal put between 2 plywood clamp drill holes or use a hole saw works for me
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:32 pm

I heard the water boiling, so I removed the lid.

I was wrong. Okay, not 3.5 minutes: 3 minutes 14 seconds to boil 2 cups of water. It was a rolling boil when I lifted the lid to look. I heard the water boiling, so it was actually less time than that.

It was 3.5 minutes for the flames to settle down to put the pan on the fire.
The cup/pot that you are using may be part of the fast boil time. I had really good results boiling water with an aluminum breakfast cereal size bowl, the kind they had back in the 50's-60's the different colored anodized alum. ones. Must have something to do with the tapered sides. I never pursued the reason why the difference, I suspect it was due to folks wanting titanium straight wall types.

Do you think the large amount of paper had anything to do with fast boil?

I've had good results drilling in thin materials the same way as oops described. Diamond tipped core drills might work well also.

http://www.diamondtoolstore.com/store/i ... ex&cPath=4
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:38 pm

It was one of those small neighborhood papers for free, found at a grocery store.
The half sheets were not much cheap pulp.

I attribute the hot fire to the wood stove design: the grate on the bottom so air can freely enter the fire, the tapered sides focusing the fire, and the openings (punched holes) at the top making more flow, as well as, allowing the "settled" flames out to reach the sides of the cooking pot.

The fact is, with the cooking pot in place, the air and the fire still need the updraft air flow and the flames need somewhere to go. If there were no openings at the top, the fire would be choked and not burn so efficiently as this.

This wood stove is so efficient, it had little soot inside. I posted a picture of the MK1-UL wood stove ready-to-pack over at the MK1-UL thread in Wood Burning Stoves.

That Vargo 750 ml Sierra cooking pot is titanium, supposedly slower to heat.

I believe the tapered sides catch more heat from an alcohol stove and from the wood stove.

I believe the tapered sides is a superior design. I also like the fact I can easily do open-pan cooking, as well.

I also attribute the "fast boil" to putting the pan on the fire when the flames have settled down. I am convinced the fast first high yellow flames are not as hot, nor as efficient for heat transfer. I do not even try to heat water, or cook, on the fast first high yellow flames.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:50 am

Connie, what have you found out about the bounce box? :o Give us a full report! :shock: :?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 am

I got an email from my neighbor, the USPO delivered it back to me.

The "Package Store" man sealed the box and made the mailing label.

I replied to my neighbor to take it to the same "Package Store".

The neighbor did mention something about my sending a Money Order. I sincerely hope not: that will take up more time and I already paid more than $16 to mail it.

At least, it is not entirely "missing".

I was afraid my using a box with Chabela's logo was a bad idea.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:56 pm

Email from neighbor confirms "bounce box" is on it's way.