Edible Plants

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Pure Mahem

Edible Plants

Post by Pure Mahem » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:40 am

I've been doing some research over the net and also purchased a couple of field guides on the subject of edible plants. Does anyone here already do this to some degree besides the blueberry, wild grapes, rasberry, blackberry, and strawberry thing? When I was reading I saw that you could actually make somesort of coffe from dandelion roots. I wonder how that tastes, I'll have to try and make some this spring. There is a field near my mom's house that is completely covered with dandelions in the summer like 40 acres of them, it is quite impressive I'll have to get a picture so you guys can see it. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

oops56

Re: Edible Plants

Post by oops56 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:04 am

Pure Mahem wrote:I've been doing some research over the net and also purchased a couple of field guides on the subject of edible plants. Does anyone here already do this to some degree besides the blueberry, wild grapes, rasberry, blackberry, and strawberry thing? When I was reading I saw that you could actually make somesort of coffe from dandelion roots. I wonder how that tastes, I'll have to try and make some this spring. There is a field near my mom's house that is completely covered with dandelions in the summer like 40 acres of them, it is quite impressive I'll have to get a picture so you guys can see it. :mrgreen:
I have done it with dandelion root i got a special tool to dig them out get you picture of it later when it warms up i mean today not spring :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:43 pm

Elderberry, Wild plum, cattail. arrow root, Sumac berries, coffee made from the seeds of the Kentucky coffee tree. Water lily root. Wild onion, wild garlic, goose berries, currants, wild cucumber, may apples and mushrooms and more and more yet. You'll have fun once you start using your field guides and get to know others locally that can help you identify them.

My eyes are always on the lookout for wild eddible plants. It'll make everyones backpacking more enjoyable to be able to identify the plants that are along the trails.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:33 pm

Careful with the mushrooms. Some can make you very ill if you misidentify them. We had a guy come into fall bow/deer camp looking for "Hen of the Woods" mushrooms. I had never heard of them but he had one in the back of his truck. It must have weighed 5 -8 lbs. It was huge. We bs'd for awhile and he offered me a chunk of it and then he left. I decided to error on the side of caution and went in to the local town which had a public library. Looked it up and it said "highly sought after fall mushroom with excellent flavor" We ate it with our eggs and steaks the next day. They grow on the side of oak trees, esp. dying ones. I have found 3 of the while backpacking. Also, I really enjoy the flavor of sassafras tea made from the tree root.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:15 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Careful with the mushrooms. Some can make you very ill if you misidentify them. We had a guy come into fall bow/deer camp looking for "Hen of the Woods" mushrooms. I had never heard of them but he had one in the back of his truck. It must have weighed 5 -8 lbs. It was huge. We bs'd for awhile and he offered me a chunk of it and then he left. I decided to error on the side of caution and went in to the local town which had a public library. Looked it up and it said "highly sought after fall mushroom with excellent flavor" We ate it with our eggs and steaks the next day. They grow on the side of oak trees, esp. dying ones. I have found 3 of the while backpacking. Also, I really enjoy the flavor of sassafras tea made from the tree root.
The Chicken of the Forest :lol: :lol: :lol: somebody on one of the forums called it by that name, made me laugh soooo hard. They are easy to dehydrate and add alot of flavor to Freezer baggin. Spring morel shrooms are another one easy to identify and dehydrate.

Eggs and steaks for breakfast at deer camp, not a bad way to live.

Leaves from the New Jersey Tea plant makes a good tasting herbal tea. Menarda tea, made from the seed heads of the Menarda plant AKA Bee Balm.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:18 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Careful with the mushrooms. Some can make you very ill if you misidentify them. We had a guy come into fall bow/deer camp looking for "Hen of the Woods" mushrooms. I had never heard of them but he had one in the back of his truck. It must have weighed 5 -8 lbs. It was huge. We bs'd for awhile and he offered me a chunk of it and then he left. I decided to error on the side of caution and went in to the local town which had a public library. Looked it up and it said "highly sought after fall mushroom with excellent flavor" We ate it with our eggs and steaks the next day. They grow on the side of oak trees, esp. dying ones. I have found 3 of the while backpacking. Also, I really enjoy the flavor of sassafras tea made from the tree root.
Elm root can be smoke like a cigarette when dry we did it when i was a kid the good times also pine needles dry can be smoke in a pipe.Home made beer can not be drink be fore its time well smoking cigars :mrgreen:
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:01 pm

The Chicken of the Forest somebody on one of the forums called it by that name, made me laugh soooo hard. They are easy to dehydrate and add alot of flavor to Freezer baggin. Spring morel shrooms are another one easy to identify and dehydrate.

Eggs and steaks for breakfast at deer camp, not a bad way to live
Never dehydrated mushrooms, definitely will do that this spring when the morels and snakeheads shoot up.

Number ONE priority at deer and turkey camp is to eat well, sleep well, drink moderately, and for the fun of it, go sit in the wood and time permitting, do a little hunting. :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:51 am

[quote="Ridgerunner
Never dehydrated mushrooms, definitely will do that this spring when the morels and snakeheads shoot up.

Number ONE priority at deer and turkey camp is to eat well, sleep well, drink moderately, and for the fun of it, go sit in the wood and time permitting, do a little hunting. :lol: :lol:[/quote]

"Do a little hunting" that's funny funny funny :lol: I can just picture you guys taking 20 paces out from camp and plopping down next to a tree and sleeping it off for an hour or two. :lol:

Hen of the Woods are really tasty when dried.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:47 pm

"Do a little hunting" that's funny funny funny I can just picture you guys taking 20 paces out from camp and plopping down next to a tree and sleeping it off for an hour or two.
Now, Now, Now !!!! When we hunt, we hunt seriously. The only real problem is getting up early for that morning hunt. We all work early hours and the opportunity to sleep in without the responsiblities of home life, just don't come around very often. During spring turkey season if you skip your morning hunt, you are done for the day as we can only hunt till noon in Ohio. So we usually don't miss morning hunts in the spring. A good heavy morning rain takes all the guilt away! :lol: :lol:
Best case scenario, you bag a bird opening day then sleep in every day or go do a little fishin' in the morning, shroomin' in the afternoon, then get the evening festivities started. ;)

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:12 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
"Do a little hunting" that's funny funny funny I can just picture you guys taking 20 paces out from camp and plopping down next to a tree and sleeping it off for an hour or two.
Now, Now, Now !!!! When we hunt, we hunt seriously. The only real problem is getting up early for that morning hunt. We all work early hours and the opportunity to sleep in without the responsiblities of home life, just don't come around very often. During spring turkey season if you skip your morning hunt, you are done for the day as we can only hunt till noon in Ohio. So we usually don't miss morning hunts in the spring. A good heavy morning rain takes all the guilt away! :lol: :lol:
Best case scenario, you bag a bird opening day then sleep in every day or go do a little fishin' in the morning, shroomin' in the afternoon, then get the evening festivities started. ;)
That sounds realistic and a good way to go about it. Havin Fun!!!!!!