Edible Plants

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Pure Mahem

Re: Edible Plants

Post by Pure Mahem » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:51 pm

I have often found that the last thing on my mind when hunting is hunting, unless of course I'm hunting, LOL! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:21 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:I have often found that the last thing on my mind when hunting is hunting, unless of course I'm hunting, LOL! :mrgreen:
Dont get me wrong i gave up on hunting if i got a deer but to much to drag it also how do i get it on the front fender.Also had to give up squirrel hunting i got a nice western 22 pistol i miss ever one that day why when i target practice i used two hands when was shooting at squirrels one hand.Turkey hunting now that a norther day
Man play with fire man get burnt

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:18 am

My hunting philosophy works like this and has brought me great results. Hike long distance into woods slash fields or combination of both. Find what looks like a good spot next to tree stone wall whatever is comfortable. Pan the area for game, take interest in the bird or chipmunk or squirel wich everone was assigned to entertain you that day. Pan area again. Take nap. If you are ment to get a specimen of the game you are after it will appear in front of you when you open your eyes. This has worked for me every year durring rifle season. Often I find that what I enjoy most is just being out and sitting with nature and observing everything. Rifle season doesn't really entertain me in the hunting aspect as I no longer find it a challenge to shatter the calmness I am watching.

Other phylosophy is bow season it's a little more active as I take this as the season in wich to fill the freezer. But I have purposely not taken shots just because I enjoyed the stalk and observation more. It is truly awesome to walk along side a deer and have it not know you are there until you reach out and touch it. Wich brings me to the reliability of certain items I can recomend for hunting good set of mocasins, that scent spray eliminator stuff really does work, and there use to be a company that made a uv dye killer spray it was made by the same company that makes sport wash that stuff really does what it says. I have been there when the dear just run off with the wind blowing at you and the deer spook and bolt. and then again in the same situation after using the uv stuff and the deer looks at you and just act like that bush just moved. and they look at the other deer like they are saying did that bush just move the other deer says back to him your nuts bushes don't move hey did that bush just move no way bushes don't move thats it no more salt lick for you oh my god that bush is moving oh my god I told you not to eat those funny smelling plants I knew it we are all done for the bush is moving the bush is freakin moving dude I need to get something to eat I think I got the munchies I'm not eating those plants any more and they just slowly start to go back to what they are doing and then just look like they are having a bad trip when they see you get closer. I could literally walk right up to them and they had no freaking clue that I was anything but a bush. A bush that just freaking moved, LOL! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:10 pm

Other phylosophy is bow season it's a little more active as I take this as the season in wich to fill the freezer. But I have purposely not taken shots just because I enjoyed the stalk and observation more. It is truly awesome to walk along side a deer and have it not know you are there until you reach out and touch it. Wich brings me to the reliability of certain items I can recomend for hunting good set of mocasins, that scent spray eliminator stuff really does work, and there use to be a company that made a uv dye killer spray it was made by the same company that makes sport wash that stuff really does what it says. I have been there when the dear just run off with the wind blowing at you and the deer spook and bolt. and then again in the same situation after using the uv stuff and the deer looks at you and just act like that bush just moved. and they look at the other deer like they are saying did that bush just move the other deer says back to him your nuts bushes don't move hey did that bush just move no way bushes don't move thats it no more salt lick for you oh my god that bush is moving oh my god I told you not to eat those funny smelling plants I knew it we are all done for the bush is moving the bush is freakin moving dude I need to get something to eat I think I got the munchies I'm not eating those plants any more and they just slowly start to go back to what they are doing and then just look like they are having a bad trip when they see you get closer. I could literally walk right up to them and they had no freaking clue that I was anything but a bush. A bush that just freaking moved, LOL! Pure Mahem

Funny stuff, Dude ! :lol: Bow hunting is the best!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:21 pm

"Do a little hunting" that's funny funny funny I can just picture you guys taking 20 paces out from camp and plopping down next to a tree and sleeping it off for an hour or two.
As a matter of fact------this past spring, my brother-in-law dropped down just over the hill from where we were camped on the last day of our trip while I was getting breakfast together and getting ready for the task of tearing down camp. We camp in a Cabela's Big Horn tent, so it takes awhile to break camp. Anyway, it wasn't long before I heard, "kaboooom" and the ol' Stumpjumper is back at camp with a 16lb. jake. Shortly after breakfast, we could hear the birds still gooblin' down in the hollow, so I made a quick trip down the hill to try my luck at calling one in. Was not as lucky as the Stumpjumper, but next year, I might be hunting a whole lot closer to camp! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:55 pm

You're a character PureM :D love your charachter.

I agree with Ridgerunner, to hunt with bow is beast.

I can't hit the broad side of a deer to save my life!!! Never got a deer, never will :D Had a zillion shots but the fever gets me every time. Every time I would come to camp they would ask if I had killed any trees. I shot a tree one time that was so close to me the arrow never left the string. My bow forced me backwards a bit. I was drawing down on a buck walking within 15 feet of me in dense willows. I let loose of the arrow, it traveled no more than three inches and THUDDD. My hunting partners dubbed me "Tree Killer"

Good thing I only hunt with a camera now. I can't kill anything anymore, going into a different phase.

I stopped hunting rifle when bullets came singing and pinging over my head while hunting in wisconsin on opening day. The woods that I was in was being driven by an unknown group and kicked up a deer that coma runnin in my direction. I hit the ground and coverd my head and freaked. When the bullets stopped whizzen by me I started to yell. Last time for me :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:07 pm

I stopped hunting rifle when bullets came singing and pinging over my head while hunting in wisconsin on opening day. The woods that I was in was being driven by an unknown group and kicked up a deer that coma runnin in my direction. I hit the ground and coverd my head and freaked. When the bullets stopped whizzen by me I started to yell. Last time for me
Had a similar experience---grandpa and grandson(both wearing coke bottle glasses ) opened up on my bro-in-law aka Stumpjumper, during shotgun season AFTER daybreak and he was on a 4 wheeler with headlight on and dressed in blaze orange from head to toe. Never have been gun hunting on public property since. Really enjoy bow season---not many people out there and the weather is nicer(at least the first few months). Ohio has one of the most liberal bow(including crossbow) seasons in the country. We start the end of September and go till the beginning of February.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:57 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
I stopped hunting rifle when bullets came singing and pinging over my head while hunting in wisconsin on opening day. The woods that I was in was being driven by an unknown group and kicked up a deer that coma runnin in my direction. I hit the ground and coverd my head and freaked. When the bullets stopped whizzen by me I started to yell. Last time for me
Had a similar experience---grandpa and grandson(both wearing coke bottle glasses ) opened up on my bro-in-law aka Stumpjumper, during shotgun season AFTER daybreak and he was on a 4 wheeler with headlight on and dressed in blaze orange from head to toe. Never have been gun hunting on public property since. Really enjoy bow season---not many people out there and the weather is nicer(at least the first few months). Ohio has one of the most liberal bow(including crossbow) seasons in the country. We start the end of September and go till the beginning of February.
I think it's a good decision to have that liberal bow season. Good for the serious hunters and good for thinning the herd.

I'll bet :D Granpa and grandson never hear the end to that seasons story.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:01 pm

Pure Mahem wrote: There is a field near my mom's house that is completely covered with dandelions in the summer like 40 acres of them, it is quite impressive I'll have to get a picture so you guys can see it. :mrgreen:
Be sure to get that picture for us super please :D I'm going to mark my calendar so I can remind you ;)

I'll bet there is at least an acre of rabbits that live in the middle of the field 8-)

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:39 pm

Ok here it is dandelion & wild onion picker just push a long side pop move it a little. If you don't use something like this when you pull on them it brake the tops off and leave the rest in ground. Its heavy gage pipe cut in half then sharpen both sides and front with a grinder.

Man play with fire man get burnt