Edible Plants

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Pure Mahem

Re: Edible Plants

Post by Pure Mahem » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:46 pm

I'll definately get a picture for you it's an awesome sight the first time I saw it I never knew there could be that many dandelions in one field maybe the farmer was growing them, I hope they don't plant corn there this year, they probably wont havent seen them plow that field for quite a few years. I thought I had a picture of that field around here some where but I can't seem to find it anywhere, I'll keep looking if I find before the dandelions bloom I'll post it.

Oops that tool is pretty neet I think I can use one of my V shaped tent stakes I'll just have to pad the top to make a handle. :mrgreen:

Suprisingly I'm rather good with a bow at least a compound with a peep site and everything. When I was growing up my dad and uncle gave me one of those fiberglass long bows. I fooled around with it for a week or so, let me tell you I could not hit a barn if I was standing 2 feet in front of it with that thing. I thought I really sucked at it, It was a way big confidence killer, and gave it up. Then when I was 19 I was at my cousins house and he said you want to go shoot the bow for a while. I just said well I'm not very good he told it wasn't a big deal and grabbed his bow and handed me a spare and threw me a release out of a junk drawer. We went out back behind his house. I asked him how to aim it he said pull the string back look through the peep and just center the pin in the peep he explained the pins were set up 15 20 25 30 35 yards. Then we started shooting he was hitting the target in the yellow and blue around the center. Then it was my turn and unknowing to me my cousins dad was standing on the porch behind us while we were shooting watching us. I took the 3 arrows he gave me and let em loose and buried every single one of them in a one inch group dead center on the target. I was like wow and my cousins dad spit his coffe out and said holy sh_t how long have you been shooting you should of seen his face when I told him it was the first time I ever actually shot a bow with any seriousness. Then you should of seen my face and my cousins' when we went to pull out the arrows I bent every one of em and had to buy my cousin 3 more to replace em. The arrows landed so close to each other that the shafts bent on each other in the foam target. My cousin sold me the spare bow for 60 bucks. That was a great day to find out I had a natural gift at that. I still couldn't shoot fingers or with out a sight of some sort on the bow though that's still A skill I'd like to learn someday but I doubt I will, I envy Robin Hood. But I can pick off a softball at 60 yards with a compound so who cares. I am thankfull for that day it introduced me to a whole new sport. I love shooting my bow I don't even care if I really go hunting I love just target shooting. I think I just go hunting cause I would rather do that then buy my food from a grocery store. Just in case anybody shops at a walmart supercenter I would like you to know the only thing fresh in that store that is freshly made is the bread in the bakery and the freshly fried chicken everything else is freshly unthawed and I do mean eveything. all the meat comes from texas on a frozen food truck. I also go hunting for all the reasons I listed above. I think its more natural to harvest what you eat than lead the cow up to the barn and electrocute it and just start butchering it before it even hits the ground. One of the worst images in my mind is from meat packing video I saw in high school showing how the slaughter houses were run, I have never eaten a hot dog since. I'm actually surprised I'm not a vegan after that. I'm more of a hunter gatherer though, more hunter than gatherer but I'm trying to learn more about the gatherer part so maybe I can have a salad with my squirel on a stick, LOL! Just thinking of it now I guess I like target shooting my rifle too but I'm a cheap person and can get many more target shots out of dozen arrows than I can a case of ammo, LOL! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:28 pm

Ok here it is dandelion & wild onion picker just push a long side pop move it a little. If you don't use something like this when you pull on them it brake the tops off and leave the rest in ground. Its heavy gage pipe cut in half then sharpen both sides and front with a grinder

Interesting way to pick dandilions and wild onions oops. My father in law use to make homemade wine and I remember him telling me he had mad dandilion wine before. I never had any but i loved his blackberry and his cherry had one he_ _ of a kick. Back to that pic of yours oops. Would that be a Turn-Sport stove behind your picker? I recognize the label. Were all the Turn-Sport stoves fueled with alcohol?

Mayhen, as a butcher and fellow hunter, I can appreciate your views on livestock but I'll take a beef rib-eye or Porterhouse over venison anyday. Venison is very lean without any marbleing to speak of. I remember going to Ohio State Universities Agriculture building when i was in high school and watching them electrocute livestock and slit their throats and hang them to bleed out. Then they went down an assemly line where they were dropped into a boiling bath to remove the hair and sent on down the line to be butchered. I found it all very interesting. I never had any aspirations to be a butcher but here I am with a degree in Education and instead, I am a meatcutter. When you think about it, there is not that big of difference in us shooting a deer and it running a hundred yards or more (not always a quick death) then we dress it out in the field and drag it back to camp across the dirty earth. Then we hang it, skin it, and process it and maybe not always in the most recommendable conditions. Like i said, I'll take my beef steak anyday but i do like venison very much. Probably the most shocking thing I've seen in the commercial meat induxtry was when they ran the documentary on the Tyson chicken plants. After watching that, i always washed my chicken before preparing it. Usually, I just buy the frozen skinless chicken breast. I still wash them once they are thawed.

Sounds like you are a good shot with the bow. I use to use fingers with my compound but once I invested in a quality crossbow, I have not shot my compound since. The four things that converted me to the crossbow was its extreme accuracy, lack of movement not having to dray back on the bow, the ease of taking a safety off and squeezing the trigger, and Ohio has the longest crossbow season in the country. Plus, I find it easier to use from a ground blind but I usually hunt from a treestand.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Post by oops56 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:08 am

Ridgerunner wrote:
Ok here it is dandelion & wild onion picker just push a long side pop move it a little. If you don't use something like this when you pull on them it brake the tops off and leave the rest in ground. Its heavy gage pipe cut in half then sharpen both sides and front with a grinder

Interesting way to pick dandilions and wild onions oops. My father in law use to make homemade wine and I remember him telling me he had mad dandilion wine before. I never had any but i loved his blackberry and his cherry had one he_ _ of a kick. Back to that pic of yours oops. Would that be a Turn-Sport stove behind your picker? I recognize the label. Were all the Turn-Sport stoves fueled with alcohol?

Mayhen, as a butcher and fellow hunter, I can appreciate your views on livestock but I'll take a beef rib-eye or Porterhouse over venison anyday. Venison is very lean without any marbleing to speak of. I remember going to Ohio State Universities Agriculture building when i was in high school and watching them electrocute livestock and slit their throats and hang them to bleed out. Then they went down an assemly line where they were dropped into a boiling bath to remove the hair and sent on down the line to be butchered. I found it all very interesting. I never had any aspirations to be a butcher but here I am with a degree in Education and instead, I am a meatcutter. When you think about it, there is not that big of difference in us shooting a deer and it running a hundred yards or more (not always a quick death) then we dress it out in the field and drag it back to camp across the dirty earth. Then we hang it, skin it, and process it and maybe not always in the most recommendable conditions. Like i said, I'll take my beef steak anyday but i do like venison very much. Probably the most shocking thing I've seen in the commercial meat induxtry was when they ran the documentary on the Tyson chicken plants. After watching that, i always washed my chicken before preparing it. Usually, I just buy the frozen skinless chicken breast. I still wash them once they are thawed.

Sounds like you are a good shot with the bow. I use to use fingers with my compound but once I invested in a quality crossbow, I have not shot my compound since. The four things that converted me to the crossbow was its extreme accuracy, lack of movement not having to dray back on the bow, the ease of taking a safety off and squeezing the trigger, and Ohio has the longest crossbow season in the country. Plus, I find it easier to use from a ground blind but I usually hunt from a treestand.
yep its a turm burns kerosene has a round wick
Man play with fire man get burnt

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:14 am

I've shot a crossbow a couple times and really like them but here in Vermont/New York area they're illegal to hunt with unless you have a handicap exception permit. It Doesn't really make any sense to me but what ever, until the revert the laws I'll play there silly game. I'm still waiting for them to say they need to collect my gun because they passed some new law, they can have it all right one bullet at a time. Wich leads me to wander on a new topic, I'm hijacking my own thread, LOL!

There was a Supreme Court hearing currently going on where a gentleman from New York had applied for a pistol permit and was denied, apparently the guy has no record or anything like that so he should of been able to get the permit with no problem. I guess they denied him because when he listed why he wanted the gun he put it was for selfdefense. Any who a month or so later the guy was mugged and severly beaten. So he sued the state of New York for infringing on his second ammendment right. The case is now in the U.S. Supreme Court and the Courts decision will impact all of the states laws if this guy wins wich I hope he does. If he wins his case the States can not tell you, you have to have a permit to own a gun. Wich means you would no longer need a pistol permit in the states that now require them and in states like massachussetts you would no longer need a FID card. The bad part of this is that it could make the US government as a whole to regulate firearms further meaning that you would have to apply for a federal permit of some sort. Currently I'm glad I live in Vermont no real regulation beyond filling out the federal 4273 form. Can even conceal carry perfectly legal. Of course just to let everyone know Vermont is the most liberal state in the U.S. when it comes to guns. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

oops56

Post by oops56 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:36 am

Yep many years ago i had to take my muzzle loader to a gun shop to show and its in the middle of town. First ask a police if i could carrie it to the gun shop cause i had no case he said its ok longs not load. I don't think i try it now days.
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:07 pm

I plead the 5th on fire arms :D

I hunted with a Bear "Kodiak Magnum" recurve. I never advanced to modern tech. Short, lightweight, easy to manuver in dense growth. I was a Tree Killer :lol: I loved to hunt and be there in the woods. Call me Boone, Danl Boone :lol:

This fall I came within shooting distance of a 10 pointer. Earlier in the season I was able to watch with binoculars, a herd of 24 bucks gather at the edge of a Nature Perserve. It took place over a period of an hour or so. Just sat there and watched in awe. (that day I got a slight dose of chiggers :( )

Oops, your digger looks like it would be a choice tool for diggin Ginseng. Anyone ever dig it?

Oops, where can I get round wicks like the ones used on the Turm stove mentioned?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/