Windscreens and canister stoves

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
ConnieD

Re: Windscreens and canister stoves

Post by ConnieD » Thu May 06, 2010 10:02 pm

Here is his complete setup: canister, canister stove, his titanium-bowl and titanium "mug" cooking pot.

This is why people on their thread provided the link to the exploding canisters article.

Notice he says he has used this setup for 2 years. It is now 1 more year later.

Comments? I think it is a good concept and a good design. It seems to me, he has provided all the safety features he needs.

The titanium conducts heat away.

Here is another thread over there: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... ad_id=9505

In each example, they are keeping the heat off the valve. It appears, the burner of the stove is not the problem.

I would say, solid material is better than thin aluminum foil from the grocery store because it could droop down and over the valve.

If you read the entire article, it is imperative to keep heat from building up on the canister and overheating the valve.

Here is another article over there: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... e_faq.html
Last edited by ConnieD on Thu May 06, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu May 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Looks to me that he has accomplished what he set out to do. A great windscreen and keeps the heat above the valve and cannister. I like it when things go as planned. :mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu May 06, 2010 10:35 pm

I posted when you were posting. I added that additional article, at the bottom.

It appears the stove itself is not a problem.

I notice instead of calling this a windscreen some people over there are calling this sort of windscreen a "heat shield" instead.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:05 am

Here is the EZ-fold windscreen sitting on a serrated groove of my SOTO OD-1R Micro Regulator canister stove.

It solves all the mentioned problems, nicely.

It also has a steady flame right down to the bottom of the gas in the canister.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:04 pm

A quote from one of the above links:
Placing an aluminum heat shield (made from a pie pan, see photo) between the stove and canister protects the canister from heat that is deflected down from the bottom of the pot. In cold weather you may not need a heat shield, as long as you monitor the temperature of the canister with your hand. For an alternative canister stove windscreen design, see the Backpacking Light technique article, Homemade Canister Stove Windscreen, for construction details.
Connie, just the windscreen as you have it will not prevent radiant heat from going down toward the canister.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:47 pm

This windscreen sitting on the canister stove pot supports and the not too wide cooking pot do not restrict the air flow up-and-out.

I am saying, they "lost" the point.

They are over-thinking the problem.

They have good solutions for a wide cooking pot, but not everyone needs to have a wide cooking pot.

My point is: the EZ-fold windscreen overlapping "wrinkles" help hold it together in a stable configuration while sitting on the cannister stove pot supports and allow a minimum full 1/4" or more around the cooking pot, depending on the pot. The GSI Minimalist is a popular cooking pot. This system works.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:21 pm

I'll have to read more on the subject. I've never been interested in the canister stoves and their problems. Especially the winter problems with cold fuel.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:15 am

ConnieD wrote:I just realized that BPL Forum is not "subscription only".

Here are pictures of the titanium bowl he used.

This shows what I was trying to describe.

He has used the Snow Peak Wind Screen GP-008 cut -out design, and adding additional drilled holes, he has made the titanium bowl bring the heat close to his "mug" cooking pot.
This type of windscreen reminds me of the Markill Stormy cookset ;)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Markill-Stormy- ... 1e69f6cca5
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks for the link HJ

Long live the canister stoves. :) Never can have too many stoves. Hear tell you have over a hundred. :shock:

Kerosene

Post by Kerosene » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:04 pm

I own the Snow Peak windscreen/deflector shown above. I have found that it does help to screen breezes from the flame, although not as well as a well-positioned 3-sided windscreen. My frustration is that it weighs almost 2 ounces (1.94)! For short trips, where fuel efficiency is not paramount, I simply bring an extra large piece of aluminum foil to use as a combination pot lid and partial windscreen, which works about as well as the titanium windscreen.