I build my own computers - It's all about the Dimples People

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
sudden

I build my own computers - It's all about the Dimples People

Post by sudden » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:57 pm

I'm starting a new computer build. I always check out what's new before I start one. The latest products I'm seeing have to do with better heat transfer designs. This is always going on in the overclocking community.

Companies are now adding dimples to the fins of their heatsinks and even on the fan blades to increase air turbulance.

The idea of increasing turbulent airflow for cooling is backed up by several articles (see links, if you want a headache, read them). We want to boil water, but it's all about maximizing heat transfer whether you are cooling or heating.

I tried to figure out an easy method of dimpling a cooking pot but the only thing I can find is an arbor press. I suppose if you had a wide pot you could do it by hand with the right hand tool.

So my question(s) is/are...... Has anyone tried this before?.......Does anyone have an idea how this could be done cheaply and easily?

I think the riveted heat shield seen on bplite is having a similar effect but putting that many rivets in has to take a lot of time. If we could dimple the pot then maybe we have another solution.

Thanks for any input.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/availa ... Elyyan.pdf

http://www.ecologence.com/images/ASME09.pdf

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/availa ... thesis.pdf
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Q_x

Re: I build my own computers - It's all about the Dimples People

Post by Q_x » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:14 pm

sorry, blanked
Last edited by Q_x on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delete this account, please

Q_x

Post by Q_x » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:53 pm

sorry, blanked
Last edited by Q_x on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sudden

Post by sudden » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:10 pm

Q_x wrote:Crimped bottom is a kind of casual thing done to the heine pots. Also there are some "kitchen things" suited for gas burners with corrugated bottoms - mainly kettles.
You can set up something like a press or punch tool (two long arms on a hinge, with the appropriate positive and negative punch) - you can make really crazy things, stainless steel should be flexible enough (you can anneal it before and temper it later, it can get really flexible).
You can use CPU heatsinks, just place it under the pot, or squeeze it between the windscreen and the pot. You can grind the bases, use thermoconductive paste... Binding to the curvature of your cooking vessel should be easy - you can even make yourself a jig to bend your heatsinks in a vise.

Edit:
This dimples are tempting thing...
All the constructive criticism I can give - the articles are assuming the stable linear airflow going around the surface - it is close to what is going on on the side walls, but under the bottom there is usually more turbulent thing going, plus combustion which can make this flow not as linear as it may look at first, mainly due to great heat/density/speed changes inside the flame.
I think one company tried to put fins on the bottom of the pot. Don't know how successful it was. I was thinking of the sides of the pot.

I know about the crimped bottom on the heine pots (there's a video on youtube, they do it with a penny I think).

I don't think using cpu heatsinks would fly because of the extra weight. If you could cause some turbulence on the side walls of the container that should (in theory and maybe proven with the rivet shield) cause better heat transfer.

What I imagine is a dimpled pot surrounded by a close fitting windscreen that covers the sides of the pot and extends to the base of the alcohol stove.

If that windscreen was also able to insulate then you should get an even bigger increase in heat transfer.

It all sounds good until you try to dimple a pot or make a very light windscreen that is durable and insulating. The insulation doesn't have to be much, just better than plain aluminum or steel (maybe foiled fiberglass cloth). The gap from the windscreen/insulator should be adjustable for testing.

Fabricating is where I struggle. It's time for more tools ;)

sudden

Post by sudden » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Yes. Saw them both. Thanks though.

ShakeyJke

Re: I build my own computers - It's all about the Dimples Pe

Post by ShakeyJke » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:05 am

NA
Last edited by ShakeyJke on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:19 am

Nice setup Shakeyjke. What kind of boil times are you getting with this setup?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks for posting ShakeyJke,

I knew I saw the heat transfer build here but couldn't remember who did it.

Watched the Thermo-tube video. Very nice.

I agree with you about not using a good pot for dimpling. If someone used the pot as a bowl and for boiling water then the dimples might also cause a headache with cleaning.

ShakeyJke

Re: I build my own computers - It's all about the Dimples Pe

Post by ShakeyJke » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:38 am

NA
Last edited by ShakeyJke on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Q_x

Post by Q_x » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:45 pm

sorry, blanked
Last edited by Q_x on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.