Heineken Pot

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Wonderboy

Heineken Pot

Post by Wonderboy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:37 pm

I know this has been covered in detail on many sites, but all the info is a couple years old. Does anyone know of a good side cut can opener to take the top off the heineken can? I got one but it didn't work at all. It just ended up tearing the lid apart and i used a utility knife to finally get the top off. The pot will work but i wanted to try and make one that doesn't look so mangeled. I can't seem to find the ones have talked about. Any help would be great!
Last edited by Wonderboy on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ridgerunner

Re: Heineken Pot

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:45 pm

You are looking for the can opener that is called a "safety" opener. They run $7-$15 depending where you get it. Kroger, Wal-mart, Meijer, Target.etc. all have it.
http://www.nextag.com/safety-can-opener/compare-html
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:03 pm

before i got a safety openner, i used to use a flat file and just file the top of the lip untill the top of the can came free. it doesnt take very long at all.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:11 pm

I actually got on safety cut can opener, but it just mangled it up. How does using the file make things end up looking?

drichi

Post by drichi » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 pm

You need to grind of the raised place on the lower part below the blade to work on the new heiny cans, so it dosn't dent the can all to crap. dave

Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:07 pm

drichi wrote:You need to grind of the raised place on the lower part below the blade to work on the new heiny cans, so it dosn't dent the can all to crap. dave
I did that too, It still jacked it all up. It started to cut and beer started to come out, then it wouldn't grip the can anymore. The gear side just ground it up and i ended up taking my box cutter to it to get the lid off. It will work, it is just all dented and the top looks like crap. I wanted to try to make one that looks less crappy.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:36 pm

This one is the type I have used:

http://www.chefsresource.com/kuhn-rikon ... r-red.html

I think the Heineken can has changed recently, because I have had problems.

Instead, I went round and round, slowly, increasing pressure. I got a reasonably smooth cut and I smoother the sharp edge by running a piece of metal round and round the circle on the opening edge. I saw a video demonstration on YouTube, tried it, and it worked well enough.

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:56 am

The can and the lid are actually two separate pieces held together with epoxy and a metal band. If you file the top edge of the lid, you can get the lid to separate. You can practice this on pop cans until you perfect your technique and then try on the Heineken can as Daren suggested.

I have also done this with a Dremel cutoff wheel mounted in a drill press so that it lines up perpendicular to center of the band. You can then roll the can until it separates. It leaves a clean fitting lid half the band on the can and half on the lid. This works on the smaller cans as well.

As suggested above, some side cutter can openers need to be modified by filing down the tab which keeps the cutter aligned. Otherwise, the tab will tear and dent the can. The tab is just below the cutter. I use a safe cook side cutter, but they have several models and I don't think they make the one I have anymore. I can't find a picture but I bought mine at Safeway. I bought one at Walmart but it tears the shoulder of the can. It might work if the tab was filed down but I haven't tried because I already have one that works.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:44 am

I have also done this with a Dremel cutoff wheel mounted in a drill press so that it lines up perpendicular to center of the band. You can then roll the can until it separates. It leaves a clean fitting lid half the band on the can and half on the lid. This works on the smaller cans as well.
Great idea DaddyMnM. I have a couple safety cutters that work well but they mangled my top outside of a 5 ltr. Hiene Keg. Next time I will try this method if my drill press will allow the room. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Wonderboy wrote: How does using the file make things end up looking?
i actually like the filed off tops better than the ones cut off with the can openner. the can openner does a nice clean job of it but they are still slightly deformed. the file takes a bit longer and you have to "break" the sharp edges but i think it makes a better pot/lid.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast