Glorious Failure

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
stovenoob

Glorious Failure

Post by stovenoob » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 pm

I had the inspiration of a blow torch in my mind and a tube of 9/32 x .355mm Al in my hand when I embarked on this ill advised adventure. I wish I had taken a video of the 'melt down'. Who knew how easy it was to make Al look like a popped balloon?

DarenN

Re: Glorious Failure

Post by DarenN » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:15 pm

don't feel too bad about it! i did the exact same thing trying to turn a whitegas stove into an alcohol burner. i was finally successful, but only once i went to steel for the restricter tube.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:36 pm

how much weight did the steel tube add?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

stevebo

Post by stevebo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:04 am

Thats pretty impressive! Any one know what the melting point of aluminum is? Im thinking 1100 degrees F, or something close to that?

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:08 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:how much weight did the steel tube add?
9 grams
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

stovenoob

Post by stovenoob » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 am

stevebo wrote:Thats pretty impressive! Any one know what the melting point of aluminum is? Im thinking 1100 degrees F, or something close to that?
According to wikipedia, it melts at 1220 degrees F. My project didn't quite melt, but part of it got red hot. :)

It really makes me think that concentrating heat in that way just doesn't make for a safe stove. Say I had used steel. It wouldn't have melted, but do I REALLY want a stove with parts on it that get that hot during usage? Nothing would ruin a weekend ramble like a trip for a skin graft.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:57 am

Glorious Failure :D ..........yes, a video would have been nice :mrgreen: looks like carbon felt tail hanging out, what's up inside by the holes?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:23 pm

‎"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Also....WHOA :o

stevebo

Post by stevebo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Some where I read that when Thomas Edison was inventing the light bulb, he had tried several hundred materials before he came up with a material that worked as an element---every thing he tried either melted or burned up . A friend of his commented that it was a huge waste of time and resources.-----and Mr Edison replied that he had not wasted his time at all, in fact he learned several hundred different ways how not to make a light bulb! I dont think any one ever gets it right the first time! (it is kind of cool to melt things though!)

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:45 pm

Great words of wisdom!!!!thank you..................don't ever give up.

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/