Climbing and Winter Stuff

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
bmike

Climbing and Winter Stuff

Post by bmike » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:40 pm

Took my first (indoor) climbing lesson today. Been talking about it for quite awhile, and the wonderful wife forced the issue by getting me a gift card to the local rock gym for xmas... (and a gift card to the local climbing shop too! for gear and shoes and goodies!)

It was great. It kicked my ass... (all that good cooking and holiday time and playing with stoves and not riding my bicycle(s) hundreds of miles a month...)

And, took the pooch out for a snowshoe yesterday... full on winter stormy weather (mild compared to some of the stuff I've 'played' in). We were planning on hiking to a shelter on the Long Trail - but the trailhead had about 40 cars in it and 20 or so people and dogs suiting up ready to head out - so we went to Underhill* State Park on the non ski resort side of Mt. Mansfield and wandered around - about 4 miles or so on the camp road, in the woods, and along the creek. Good, good fun. No pics, as the camera was in the car for 2 days and the battery was done due to the cold... :(

*side note - my wife and I were married here on a beautiful October day (Friday the 13th, to be exact) under a stone and timber picnic shelter... and climbed Mansfield with some friends, the dog, and my nephew the following day... it sure looked different under 2' of snow!

zelph

Re: Climbing and Winter Stuff

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:45 pm

It was great. It kicked my ass... (all that good cooking and holiday time and playing with stoves and not riding my bicycle(s) hundreds of miles a month...)
Sure blame it on the stoves :D I would imagine climbing muscles are not the same as cycling muscles or are they the same?

Nice of your to force it onto you :lol: It was an interesting read about the alpine plants located in the park.

Was it your idea to get married in the parks shelter?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

bmike

Post by bmike » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:00 pm

zelph wrote:
Sure blame it on the stoves :D I would imagine climbing muscles are not the same as cycling muscles or are they the same?

Nice of your to force it onto you :lol: It was an interesting read about the alpine plants located in the park.

Was it your idea to get married in the parks shelter?
our idea. we scoped out a bunch of local state owned shelters and stuff... but she's a runner hiker outdoorsy girl too... so it was a natural fit. we'd been there before hiking - so it seemed to work. we built a big fire in the stone chimney and friends brought up a grill and we cooked out. had a blast - the nephews played in the woods, the adults hugged the beer and hot cider... :) everyone pitched in to make it happen.

no, not the same - but i've always wanted to have a balanced fitness level, and specialize for whatever fit my fancy... climbing is surprisingly about legs and aerobic endurance (so i've been told) - with a good core and balance. yes, there's upper body required on the boulders and the really steep stuff (that i hope to someday climb) - but from what friends have said, its one of the best all around workouts you can do without spending a day on the machines in the gym.

and we have some good outdoor stuff too. and i really want to learn to ice climb.., seeing as we have a ton of winter here in vermont. (some people say 6 months of winter and 6 months of poor skiing!)

here's some pics from our hike the next day: (ridgerunner ranger guy pointing into the distance who sent us down the wrong trail to return, and some random folks)

nice alpine terrain up there... 4393' at the top.
cool plants for sure.
really glad that i can see the mountain most days on a short walk from home - and even better that its 45 min by car and 2 hours by bike.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:28 am

Are the trails marked with white and blue blazes or are they just heavily used paths easily identified? Odd that the guide would send you down the wrong trail. he musta been a newbe :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

bmike

Post by bmike » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:44 pm

zelph wrote:Are the trails marked with white and blue blazes or are they just heavily used paths easily identified? Odd that the guide would send you down the wrong trail. he musta been a newbe :D
blue blazes for side trails... he suggested something easier to get us down... and it was way way harder. so we headed back up top to come down a different way. i do think he was a noob. good at pointing at things in the distance - but not so good with the trail network.