Price of Heet

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Re: Price of Heet

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:51 pm

beemerphill wrote:Follow up on the empty Heet bottles.
I called the Gold Eagle company in Illinois. They are the ones who sell Heet. I explained to the operator what my problem was, she transferred me to a different department, after waiting for a while I talked to an automated voice and left a message. I figured that I would never hear from them again. An hour later one of the managers called and asked for details. After I explained what had happened he asked me to read the numbers off the bottom of one of the bottles. When he looked it up he found that the bottle had left the plant in 2010. I purchased it from Walmart in 2015 and noticed that they were dry a week ago. He offered to send me a replacement four pack. I thanked him. Today I received an email from him telling me that the replacement Heet would be shipped the first week of next month. This is outstanding service for such a small item. I am impressed. The Gold Eagle company gets a big thumbs up from me.
Just figured that I would let you know.
Phill

That's awesome customer service :D did they say if the liquid migrated through the walls of the plastic or through the seal under the cap???

thanks for the follow up ....abig shout out for the Gold Eagle Company :DB:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

beemerphill

Postby beemerphill » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:07 pm

The guy I talked to was a manager and seemed to know what he was talking about. He told me that the plastic bottle would expand and contract a small bit during temperature changes. This would affect the seal between the bottle and the aluminum foil seal. The small gap created is too small to see, but is enough to allow air and vapor to pass. After he told me this I inspected the bottle and saw no gap at all. Yet the bottles were completely empty. I think that what he told me is probably correct.
The case was stored in my garage and I live in Oklahoma. The temps in the garage can vary between well into three digits to under zero.
Even though he is sending me another 4-pack to replace the one that I had, I am also going to purchase some denatured alcohol in a metal can. I have a can here that was purchased about thirty years ago and it is still almost full. This can had been opened and some of the alcohol used. Apparently the cap resealed properly and there was no evaporation of the contents. A couple of these quart cans should suffice for any power outage that we might experience. We have never had one over two days, and that was a one-time occurrence. I would rather not burn any fuel inside the house but would hate to forego my morning coffee even more. A Trangia burner in a small stove should serve me quite well for making coffee and heating up a can of soup. I might even fry some Spam and eggs.
I hope that someone might learn from my experience and check their emergency supplies.
A side note. Several years ago I was checking some other supplies that I had stashed (just in case) and found that the matches that I had stored were all bad. They would not light at all. Flints in a lighter can also deteriorate. Since then, I have checked other supplies that are stored to check that everything is still in order.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for contacting them and glad they got back to you. :D

Small batteries also go bad and ooze acid into hand held electronics :cry:

I might even fry some Spam and eggs.

Now that sounds like something I should do to bring in the new year....Happy and Prosperous New Year everyone :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:02 am

Now we know. I probably have a dozen 4-pks and also noticed some were very low on contents. I also stored them in the garage. I might “ condense” bottles and move them to the workshop where I just connected a portable oil heater to a Thermo-cube T3 35-45 thermostatic outlet.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:45 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Now we know. I probably have a dozen 4-pks and also noticed some were very low on contents. I also stored them in the garage. I might “ condense” bottles and move them to the workshop where I just connected a portable oil heater to a Thermo-cube T3 35-45 thermostatic outlet.

Never knew that kind of outlet existed........thanks! and thanks again. I'm going to get one and install in my newly aquired 20" travel trailer to keep it warmed so I can work on it when ever I get the urge. But nowadays when I get an urge to do work, I go lay down until thje urge goes away :DP:
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/thermostatical ... led-outlet

have a dozen 4-pks A dozen 4paks is too much.....gotta design stoves and test to consume some of them :mrgreen:

beemerphill

Postby beemerphill » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:16 pm

Today (10 Jam 19) at 1600 the UPS driver rang the doorbell and left a package that contained a brand new 4-pack of Heet. This is the kind of customer service that will keep steady customers. Thanks Gold Eagle!

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:23 am

That's great! Customer service doesn't get any better than that. :D We all learned a lesson on shelf life of HEET in Yellow bottles thanks to you Beemerphill :D Thanks a bunch for the update and a big thank you to Gold Eagle :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:10 pm

It won’t be long and I will be throwing away a lot of empty unopened Heat yellow bottles :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:22 pm

I have 2 yellow heet bottles that I refill from a 5 gallon can of denatured i purchased 2 years ago from Menards. I use alcohol as a good campfire starter. No smoke fire starter :-)

beemerphill

Postby beemerphill » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:08 pm

This is not a reference to the price of Heet, but a comment in general about storing for emergencies. A couple of years back I went through several "just in case" bags and boxes. Most of the matches were over twenty years old, and over half of them did not work. Many of the plastic bottles and bags that were used for storage were not serviceable either. This got me to thinking about what else I had stored away may have deteriorated with age. It is surprising what will not be good when it is most needed. It might be a good idea to go through the bag of survival goodies that is in your truck, behind the couch, in the top of the closet, or wherever you thought would be a good place to keep them for "that day". Many items that one would assume were good for long term storage might let you down when most needed. A couple of MREs that I have had for like ten years were still safe to eat but were not as good as when they were new. I ended up throwing them away. From now on I will check items like this on a regular basis. It doesn't pay to store for an emergency if the items stored will not perform as they should.

Return to “General”