Kindle ebook

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
sudden

Kindle ebook

Post by sudden » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Anyone ever though of writing a small book full of your collective knowledge?

Apparently it's very easy to do at Amazon for their Kindle ebook reader.
Seems like another way to share what you know with the world.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4489551_sell-bo ... ormat.html
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Re: Kindle ebook

Post by realityguy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:31 pm

My ebook would be a pamphlet... :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Post by sudden » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:42 pm

realityguy wrote:My ebook would be a pamphlet... :roll:

But a pamphlet of facts people want to learn.

Even a how to sew your first tarp leading them to a first hammock would be new to a lot of diy'ers.
Think of all the advice you could give a rookie on choices of material or what works and what doesn't.
Plus photography, plus etc......

I'll bet if any of you look back into old posts you would find enough ideas that need consolidated.

I just found out recently that I could make an altoids stove with three burners for different levels of cooking ;) .

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:58 pm

Most of that stuff is online already if people want to take the time to look.. ;) .
The altoid "burners" were small wedding favor tins..or something like those that came in an aluminum box of 12..think of how many options twelve would give you... :shock:

I've used it a couple times on day hikes but everything is so tight in the box that it's like putting together a jigsaw puzzle to get it to close when you are done...There's a lot of fiddling with the thing also as far as tweezering the modules in and out.. :roll: ..it's interesting to other hikers though..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:16 pm

I think the ebook is a great idea...........for both the writer and amazon. Amazon gets their share:

Access to the DTP is free. But Amazon is entitled to a percentage of all of your Kindle eBook sales.

Read more: How to Become a Kindle Author | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6522046_become- ... z1F7p6fFk9

I could condense this site into a pdf file and call it a book of sorts :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Post by sudden » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:53 am

zelph wrote:
I could condense this site into a pdf file and call it a book of sorts :D
Exactly.

If you look at the recent posts on corrugating aluminum, or your diy knife. They were old news to you guys but new to a lot of us. What else do you guys take for granted as common knowledge that isn't as common as you think. Take connied's post about starting a fire on the ground without considering what else you might be lighting under it. Common sense for her but a great bullet point for a lot of people that don't have her experience. I could go on and on.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:25 pm

I agree, it is surprising what people do not know.

I started my website as "a few pages" I thought. In no time, it was 50 pages, then, 100 pages.

I had one guy say, hey, make it a newsletter: sell information a few pages at a time.

One person, "lifted" information off my website and sold an ebook. No kidding.

A certain backpacking magazine annual equipment issue featured photos of more than a half dozen product selections right off my pages, when I was practically the only person featuring products from other nations. One cookbook looks like the information and selections were lifted off my food pages.

One eBook sold preface had cynical remarks like who knows where information comes from. My website.

I was called a liar, and worse, in one forum because I wrote a comment the 10 essentials are 10 "systems" that REI made it 10 products. It was never 10 products. I was explaining why I have a page for each of the 10 essentials on my website. I ought to know, I was there when we discussed the 10 systems in our mountaineering group, Olympic College Mountaineers under George Martin. Now, The Seattle Mountaineers has "clarified" it was and is 10 systems.

I had people complain I don't "represent" Mountain Rescue. I never said I did.

My record is 100% live rescues, on every rescue where I participated however.

From my website, one outfit got a "North American distributorship" they did not properly promote and "let down" the manufacturer.

There's more "ripoffs". I put the copyright notice up, at the first "ripoff".

REI pulled down one. REI also pulled a product off the shelf, when I remarked in the Tualatin store that is my design. I was asked if I still had the prototype. I said, I have and I do. (I wouldn't mind if it were sold, however anyone knows I have to be paid.)

One person somehow got a patent, on my design, I discussed at a forum. The product is sold worldwide.

One website, in Oregon, imitates my website and he put his copyright notice on it, and, a threat when I looked at his page source code to see if he copies that. I noticed his pages appear, after my pages appear.

One person has apparently got the Google Wayback Machine archive to remove my early website archived there, substituting his perfectly horrible substitute website. It was my website domain name from 2002 to 2005. Before that, I had my website on my Starband account. That archive is also "missing".

He tried, a few years ago, to sell my domain name back to me demanding $30,600

I wrote in The Wayback Machine forum and I have no reply.

Some are not "ripoffs": I am glad Canada named a nation-wide mountain safety program after a remark about adventure smart and adventure stupid I had made on my website.

I am also happy to see backpacking food choices I actively promote show up on YouTube, and, in people's backpacks.

I started making my website into a PDF book for download. I got quite a few pages done.

The fact is, I realised, my website relies a great deal on links referring people out to good information.

It is a .info website after all.

I have to update the links, mostly only the product links. However, I am not sure how I could leave those out.

The product links are exemplary examples of excellent products.

I provide those links to educate "what is good" for the outdoors: educating "in the public interest" the backpacking public, the neophyte backpacking public, and, the manufacturers.

I have been deliberately driving the lightweight and UL market. I know it.

Maybe if I owned everything I want to show, I could photograph the product myself to show examples of excellent products for backpacking?

I also have a perfectly excellent idea for an app for iPhone, etc. I would love to have worldwide. It would significantly save creating food waste. I don't have $300 to be an "Apple" developer.

Really.

I have all the great stuff I do have, because I don't spend money on other things.

But Amazon? Amazon cheated me of $999 purchase, no kidding, reading me the "fine print" hidden deep in their website after-the-fact, insisting I only had 30-days to put in the claim. I didn't have the product in 30-days and I still don't have the product. It was returned. Never purchase a Westinghouse-brand display. The tech consultant, brought in after I went to the County Prosecutor, said it would never be a good display, for the computer or for tv, either one. Westinghouse refused to refund, as well. Their tech insisted there was nothing wrong with it. If the complaint had been within 30-days, Amazon said they would have made the refund. I don't think so. Amazon had stalled.

About the "fine print" hidden deep in Amazon website?

I use a screenreader. If the screenreader doesn't see it, I don't read it.

I refuse to purchase anything listed on Amazon.

Further, I would not, under any circumstances, rely on a guarantee with Amazon.

I think a PDF download at your own website is a good idea.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:11 pm

There was a guy that purchased a stove from me, photograped it, went over to an outdoor website and told them he designed it. I never confronted him on it. No one ever made a comment on the thread that he started claiming it was his design.

My designs and methods are copied all the time worldwide. I might as well do an eBook :D and then close my eyes.

I don't wander much around the internet, too much to see out there, takes me away from this site and my play time. Too many viruses :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/