new gerber knife

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Re: new gerber knife

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:58 am

baton-splits a 6" diameter log stating that they seem to have fixed the problem.
I noticed how much energy he used to split that big thing. :roll:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:50 am

You can split wood with a small knife but this method makes more sense to me. (use the knife to make a wedge)
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2010/12 ... knife.html

For the small diameter logs we are talking about, I think it might be worth the weight to carry 2 small aluminum wedges with you. Just cut a corner from a piece of 1/4 plate aluminum is what I'm talking about, nothing fancy. Cut one with a wider angle than the other (one to start it, one to finish).
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:41 am

sudden wrote:You can split wood with a small knife but this method makes more sense to me. (use the knife to make a wedge)
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2010/12 ... knife.html

For the small diameter logs we are talking about, I think it might be worth the weight to carry 2 small aluminum wedges with you. Just cut a corner from a piece of 1/4 plate aluminum is what I'm talking about, nothing fancy. Cut one with a wider angle than the other (one to start it, one to finish).
Here's what "woodtrekker" said about his wedge splitting session:
This was a very energy and time consuming process. I am sure some woods can be split a lot more easily, but while doable, this is not a practical method for splitting significant amounts of wood. If I had to use this method to gather a pile of wood that would last me through a winter night, I would have to spend the whole day splitting.
I'd like to see how the aluminum plate wedges work on a log of the same size as seen at the trekker site. woodtrekker said "the longer the better for the wedge."

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:26 pm

This was a very energy and time consuming process. I am sure some woods can be split a lot more easily, but while doable, this is not a practical method for splitting significant amounts of wood. If I had to use this method to gather a pile of wood that would last me through a winter night, I would have to spend the whole day splitting.

True. But I was thinking it would be easier on the knife not the person :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:51 pm

I think "woodtrekker" needs a more efficient wood stove. ;)

Oh, yeah, that's what we do at this forum.

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Based on conditions/location I typically bring a hatchet and a bow saw. My Fiskars hollow handled hatchet and bow saw are really light and do the job nicely.

But then the topic is about the durability of a knife and what kind of punishment it will withstand.

For big log splitting with a knife I prefer something like this:

Work smarter, not harder... :mrgreen:

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Well he sure made that look easy :D

Short logs easier to split.

Just use dry branches broken into pieces with your boot for starters. Use logs for the big stuff. Recent videos showed that.

Car camping is different :D we get all the "make life easier stuff"

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:45 pm

I have never needed to burn 6-inch diameter wood.

Our family had "campfires". The biggest piece of wood I remember had a 4-inch diameter.

It was cherry wood, and, it burned all night. The next day, we rolled up the burning side and used it to start the fire.

gaara23

Post by gaara23 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:57 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:Personally I picked up the folding knife because of the weight and for general use. If I were going to be in a situation where I thought I may need to depend on a knife it wouldn't be a gerber of any kind or have his name on it.

I agree. I did have a folding knife carried around with me just for emergency use but im not that particular with brand names. As long I have one like that I could say I can defend myself through any kind of situation (im not a troubler maker of course).