A hike report from bushcraftusa website

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
cadyak

Re: A hike report from bushcraftusa website

Post by cadyak » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:57 am

This was off of Spring Warrior Creek near Perry, Fl.
I limited out in Speckled Trout, caught 2-3 redfish, a spanish, a Nice flounder, a cobia (released), and a nice shark which was also released, and about 20 ladyfish (unedible, but very game). There was a blue crab hatch at the time (millions of little 1" crabs on the waters surface) and the flats were boiling with fish hitting everywhere.
My brother and friends were there in his little boston whaler so I could hand fish off to them when I was near them. It is NO FUN to paddle with a bunch of fish on a stringer with their mouths open. It is like pulling a sea anchor alongside you. :D
Flats fishing is where its at.. 8-)

cobia

speckled trout

BIG flounder on the line.. no picture of the fish

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:28 pm

There was a blue crab hatch at the time (millions of little 1" crabs on the waters surface) and the flats were boiling with fish hitting everywhere.
My brother and friends were there in his little boston whaler so I could hand fish off to them when I was near them. It is NO FUN to paddle with a bunch of fish on a stringer with their mouths open. It is like pulling a sea anchor alongside you.
Flats fishing is where its at..
Sounds awesome, great times were had for sure. :D fishing the flats must have been a top water fishermans dream. Nothing more exciting than using surface baits for catching fish whooooo lots of memory flash backs going on here. :DB: :DP:

I've experience the sea anchor you speak of :lol: In fresh water ;)

I did a lot of fly fishing using what is known as an Upperman Bucktail.........lots of good surface catches using it, lots of memories. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Nice photos!

I have an insulated "deck bag" for my kayak, I am eager to ice and have on the lake ready for my dinner.

Hey! How do you get a shark off the hook?

Do you cut the line?

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:19 pm

Generally speaking, unless you have a steel leader, the shark will cut your line for you. :D

When I was a charter fisherman in California we used a rifle, a titanium gaff and an aluminum baseball bat to get them off of the line. :o (Only if they were to be eaten)

If anyone caught one and wasn't going to eat it we just cut the leader and never bothered to try and bring it aboard. People would be very upset that we didn't kill it just so they could get a picture. Sharks are an eating machine... anything caught in their mouth doesn't stay there for long, including hooks. We sometimes got the hooks out of some of the small blue sharks, but generally speaking, anything over 3 feet isn't worth losing a hand over.

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:28 pm

ConnieD wrote:I thought they were Scots-Irish, in Nova Scotia, who moved into Louisana Territory because of the French and Indian war.

Their cuisine, music, and language is distinctive.

Wiki says: French seeking refuge in a French governed territory.

Maybe I am thinking of the peopling of the Appalachian mountain region by immigration and the origin of folk music there?

I guess you can tell I haven't been to that part of the world.

Those redfish look "mighty good eating" by the way. What species are redfish?
Yes, that is the Appalachians.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:37 pm

When I was a charter fisherman in California we used a rifle, a titanium gaff and an aluminum baseball bat to get them off of the line. (Only if they were to be eaten)
Interesting line of work!!! thanks for sharing that.

Have you eaten shark and what does it tase like other than chicken. Is it really fishy tasting, neutral or really good?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:18 pm

Shark is very good. I like it blackened. It has the texture almost of eating a good steak! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:28 pm

zelph wrote:
When I was a charter fisherman in California we used a rifle, a titanium gaff and an aluminum baseball bat to get them off of the line. (Only if they were to be eaten)
Interesting line of work!!! thanks for sharing that.

Have you eaten shark and what does it tase like other than chicken. Is it really fishy tasting, neutral or really good?
Depends on the shark... I only ever ate Mako.

Most sharks pee through their skin. It is basically a form of ammonia that taints the flavor of the meat. When you kill them they "urinate" through their skin and taint the meat. There are ways you can kill a shark to lessen the effect and the ammonia taste but few ever bother.

Mako actually has a bladder. Because of this the meat does not get tainted. Shark steaks are awesome. You can cut them nice and thick, like beef steaks, and throw them on the grill.
The weirdest thing was after gutting a shark we would keep a salt-water deck hose running through it until we were ready to finish cleaning/filleting it. Sometimes 4 hours later.
The steaks would still wiggle as you cut them.

As for taste, kind of salty, but not too fishy. Of course, fish doesn't taste "fishy" when it's fresh.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:55 am

Thank you RR and JRoger, good info on the taste and processisng and to include the peeing :mrgreen: Whodathunkit!!!
The steaks would still wiggle as you cut them.
That's interesting.

Turtle meat in a bowl sprinkled with salt will start to wiggle with vigor for a few min. Weirdest thing I ever saw. :o Years ago I helped my uncle process some snapping turtles. I held the turtle by the tail over a chopping block, the tail straight up,the turtle would extend it's head outward and my uncle was the chop man......whack with an axe and off went the head. Now get this............the head lay on the ground, mouth open. Poke a stick in it's mouth and "chomp!!!!!" the jaw clamps down onto the stick with bone crunching force. :o After death reflex.