Odd stuff I might just buy

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!

zelph

Re: Odd stuff I might just buy

Post by zelph » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:51 pm

zelph,

How about one of these cigar cutters for cutting TLUD sticks?
How about pruning cutters for cigars??????

A firm grip is needed for twigs. The kind I use is good also for splitting twigs for tinder.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:36 pm

The picture of that one you have I think looks big and heavy, for lightweight backpacking.

I agree, the firm grip is key. Little finger holds in the cutter would likely not be enough.

I do think the chisel edge on the blade is important.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:29 pm

How about pruning cutters for cigars??????
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

do think the chisel edge on the blade is important
I agree. Really helps to grip the material.

The pruner would be could for those big cigars of the 60"s ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:51 pm

ConnieD wrote:
JollyRogers, I have a USB charger that uses 4 AA batteries. I have used it for my phone, Bluetooth headset and MP3 player several times. Works really well with Lithium batteries.
Okay, What is it?
If you can find one they are only about $4. But it actually works well.
http://www.dailycheckout.com/previous_d ... uct=100177

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:09 pm

interesting...

The large photo shows it with a "fake" iPod: iPod doesn't use that type of connector.

I wouldn't try it with a real iPod. iPod's "like" their charging cycle "just so". Too many alternative "chargers" burn them out. I suppose if you had the right connectors, it could safely recharge just about any brand cell phone or other 5V "device" in the marketplace.

I have a Kensington mini backup battery (okay, if you get back to the car) made for iPod, and, a Novothink solar charger made for iPod (not that great). I am on the lookout for products.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:06 pm

Ipods will soon be obsolete as cell phones can do it all anymore....internet, pics, movie clips, gps, radio, tunes, games, and even make a phone call :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:35 am

I have a "jailbroken" iPod Touch 2G.

I can do more than any phone, for less money.

If there were no WiFI, no cell service (I have a data plan 3G to WiFI), I still have my PDA and all the apps, and added GPS unit, for less money.

AKA: geekgrrl.

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:41 am

Not any longer. You can buy older Motorola Android devices for as little as $30 From Verizon. They are certified pre-owned, another word for refurbished, but they come with the same warranty as a new one.

Right now most of them are $100 or less but the deals change weekly. My in-laws gave me a hard time about doing stuff on my phone for about an hour. Then they realized how useful it was. We drove 15 1/2 hours to a family gathering and my phone was used for music, internet, GPS, gas prices, phone calls, phone directory, pictures, video, e-mail, texting, alarm clock, USGS maps, flashlight, weather radar, and at least another dozen apps on a daily basis.

I'm not the type that sits there and updates Facebook and texts all the time. My Android phone is primarily used as an urban tool kit. The GPS is built in and the phone isn't touchy about what kind of charger I hook it up to. I also tether it to my laptop and use it for my internet connection.
I'll put my Motorola Droid against your iPod touch any day of the week... the best part... I can use the battery with a piece of steel wool to start a fire! :DBfire: Try that with ANYTHING with the apple logo on it. (For some reason this reminds me of the schoolyard "my dad can beat up your dad" conversations of old). :oops:

AKA: Supertechnogeek! :mrgreen: