Odd stuff I might just buy

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Ridgerunner

Re: Odd stuff I might just buy

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:41 am

Amen JR. I love the Android. My wife just got a Iphone that is amazing also. I am due for an upgrade in June, I and am on the fence as to what phone to get. They all have so many bells and whistles and each accels at certain apps as equal or better than others. By June, Ihear there are new models in the works soI will just have to wait to see what is available at the time. ;) but Android is "the bomb"
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/06/07/ ... ip-phones/
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:53 am

JollyRogers wrote:Not any longer. You can buy older Motorola Android devices for as little as $30 From Verizon. They are certified pre-owned, another word for refurbished, but they come with the same warranty as a new one.

The GPS is built in and the phone isn't touchy about what kind of charger I hook it up to.
Is that just a driving GPS or will it work for hiking as well?
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:53 am

I would imagine it is for driving but I think I remember glancing over an article in the Backpackers magazine where they might have an APP for topo maps to download to your phone. I will have to go back and check ;)

Ah, yes....this is an application that the Iphone has the advantage if I remember correctly. The three listed in the GearGuide edition are for the iphone:

$4: http://everytrail.com/iphone.php

$3; http://motionx.com

$8; http://topomapsapp.com
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Google maps has topo maps already built in and it works well on Android phones. Combine this with MyTrack and Google Latitude and you can track your whole trip and update people on your location.

Also there is a Geocache app from Groundspeak Inc. (From geochaching.com) http://www.androidzoom.com/android_appl ... _jpzn.html
It is $9.99 and syncs with your geocache account so you don't have to print out caches anymore. Actually has really good reviews.

The biggest issue with using a phone for a GPS is battery life. You need to have a spare battery or a way to charge your existing one. (Enter the USB charger).

My Garmin eTrex Legend lasts much longer on 2 lithium batteries than any cell phone. But then the screen is also much smaller, it cost more than my phone and I had to buy the topo maps.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:49 pm

@supertechnogeek,

Well, I don't pay the big $$$ for a cell phone contract.

Even prepaid cell phone service is more $$$ than internet VoIP "telephone service".

I got my iPod Touch 2G, when it was new and Topo Map was free.

Purchase an "older" model iPhone or iPod Touch, jailbreak it. xGPS is free.

Also, I have my iPod Touch 2G crammed with apps: books, music, video, movies I have converted to xVid format, plus apps Star Walk, iBird Pro, The North Face: Trailhead, Track My Tour, Topo Map, xGPS, and all the music, news, and Netflix and all the practical utilities.

It will take some time for the "others" to catch up. (signed: geek...grr...l)

PS
I did mention I do have a Novahink solar recharger for my iPod Touch.

The Kensington mini backup battery will recharge on any USB charger.
Last edited by ConnieD on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sudden

Post by sudden » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:07 pm

ConnieD wrote:@supertechnogeek,

Well, I don't pay the big $$$ for a cell phone contract.

Even prepaid cell phone service is more $$$ than internet VoIP "telephone service".

I got my iPod Touch 2G, when it was new and Topo Map was free.

Also, I have my iPod Touch 2G crammed with apps: books, music, video, movies I have converted to xVid format, plus apps Star Walk, iBird Pro, The North Face: Trailhead, Track My Tour, Topo Map, xGPS, and all the music, news, and Netflix and all the practical utilities.

Have an "older" model iPhone or iPod Touch, jailbreak it. xGPS is free.

It will take some time for the "others" to catch up. signed: geek...grr...l
Connied,

You don't use the 2G as a phone at all?

How do you download content to it? (data plan, or from your computer)?

I bought an unlocked windows mobile 6 phone hoping to do similar stuff but can't do much with it at all. I can transfer things from my computer but cannot use a simcard from a prepaid phone in it and I also have no interest in a monthly contract. I can connect to wifi with it but no 3G without a plan of some sort.

Just wondering how you manage the phone and your data and apps.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:12 pm

I use VoIP on WiFI or on my prepaid unlimited Alltel "data plan" using a device, from Cradlepoint, that converts a 3G USB stick into a WiFI "hotspot". I have the CradlePoint CTR350. They have newer stuff, now.

I had Sprint MiFI, but it was hacked the first day, and, I fought with Sprint over the 5 GB limit thereafter.

I switched to Alltel, now, purchased by AT&T and my prepaid unlimited "data plan" is grandfathered in.
Last edited by ConnieD on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sudden

Post by sudden » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:33 pm

ConnieD wrote:I use VoIP on WiFI or on my prepaid unlimited Alltel "data plan" using a device, from Cradlepoint, that converts a 3G USB stick into a WiFI "hotspot". They have newer stuff, now, that does it.

I had Sprint MiFI, but it was hacked the first day, and, I fought with Sprint over the 5 GB limit thereafter.

I switched to Alltel, now, purchased by AT&T and my prepaid unlimited "data plan" is grandfathered in.
Now I get it. Thanks
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:42 pm

I have Google Talk, iCall, Fring, Truphone, and Mobile VoIP.

I say, get an unlimited "data plan" with Alltel (still selling it), Virgin, or Cricket and get the older Cradlepoint CTR350 and VoIP.

I think Skype is too expensive for incomming calls, so I only have Skype on my laptop. I like Magic Jack, better, for the laptop.

If you get an older iPhone and an unlimited data plan, that is also very nice.

I understand, people will be able to put a different SIM card in their iPhone, legally, in the USA. Still, a contract for cell phone service is not a great deal.

I am so happy with my iPod Touch 2G, I do not drool over the iPhone.

I admit, I somewhat admire the new iPod Touch for the faster CPU and Retina display, but not enough yet to make the purchase.

Maybe if they have GPS built-in the faster CPU and Retina display iPod Touch, I would purchase one.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:17 pm

I want to add: Panoramascope app is a most helpful app, together with Topo Map, for "orienteering" for beginners.

It uses the built-in camera, so a newer iPod Touch may be in my future.

I use it without the camera. I locate my position on Topo Map, then leave Topo Map selecting Panoramascope from inside Topo Map app and I can view 360-degrees to look for prominent landmarks (mountain peaks, for example) to verify my position.

Just like map-and-compass orienteering, only assisted by free maps.

I always had to purchase four topo quad maps for the corner I was traveling thru.