Double walled stainless containers...

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
shingaling

Double walled stainless containers...

Post by shingaling » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:34 am

So far I've only tinkered with alcohol stoves, but recently double walled wood burners have aroused my interest. When looking for stainless containers to work with at the thrift store, I picked up a ss, dbl-wall ice bucket.

Has anyone ever experimented with dbl-wall ice buckets, thermoses, coffee mugs or little espresso cups? They're all pretty common at thrift stores. Are there any threads here on the subject?
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

realityguy

Re: Double walled stainless containers...

Post by realityguy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:31 am

Cadyak's done a lot with the double walled coffee mugs..see "firemug kit","Dayhiker firemug".in the homemade stoves area.I've been experimenting with the double walled "coffee press" cups and cocktail shakers.
Things are usually taken apart,drilled,modified,then put back together or carried that way.I don't think anybody has ventured into the realm of "stainless ice cube buckets" yet.Haven't seen much as far as thermoses either,but I've thought about them.I was trying to figure out what it would be to take them apart,save the inner bottle as a cookpot and cut off the bottom of the outer layer,add a new "burner base",drill holes around the perimeter at the top..etc..etc..but the weight factor made me figure I'd never use it so it didn't go anywhere. :roll:
I think that "weight factor" has squashed a lot of good ideas in those types of containers but with woodstoves being popular now..have at it! :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

shingaling

Post by shingaling » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:36 pm

Yeah, the weight is certainly a factor here. The bucket is 4 3/4" wide and 5 1/4" tall and it's fairly hefty, so it would be more for back yard use. Since it can't be disassembled, I was thinking of making the interior (fire bowl) vents by cutting slots with a Dremel and a small cut-off disc. I'll drill a hole for one of the outside vents, and do some exploring to see if / how the bottom should be cut off to make holes in the bottom of the fire bowl.

Now before I start cutting...are there any thoughts on the size and ratio of the outer intake vents vs the inner vents?
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:27 pm

Your firebox should have as much ventilation as possible in the very bottom, with the standard ring of holes near the top.
The outer shell need only be drilled near the bottom.

This thread was on here a while ago.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3713&start=0

I like this guys a little better.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33020

I made a bunch of these:
this explains all the basic concepts and this method makes a hell of a stove that will rival ANY double walled stove for just a few bucks. I never liked his potstand though. A small piece of hardware cloth sized to fit in the ring in the top of the paint can will actually nest in the base around the firebox. makes a stove that weighs about 5.5 oz that will nest in some of the taller backpacking pots.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Woodgas-Can-Stove/

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:48 pm

I have not used one but sure was tempted to buy one when kmart had them on clearance last year. Oh My!!!!!!! :mrgreen: my bad!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/