Buck Paklite Caper

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
MMACH 5

Buck Paklite Caper

Post by MMACH 5 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:38 pm

On my bicycle camping trip, a few weeks ago, I took along a Buck Smidgen as my only knife (.83oz with sheath on my scale - $18 at REI). I got the Smidgen because I wanted a light, fixed blade knife with no handle (easier to keep clean). It worked fine for slicing up avocado. However, I got to thinking that any cutting involving either more pressure or more handling time, would leave me rather uncomfortable.

So, I picked this up the Paklite, today ($19 at Academy Sports and Outdoor). 1.3 oz blade - 2.4 oz with sheath, on my scale. Still not a "heavy duty" knife, by any means, but it will definitely stand up to more abuse than the Smidgen. The sheath is rather overkill on this knife, so I'll probably ditch it and make my own (being the weight-weenie that I am). The handle can easily be wrapped with parachord, if necessary, so I'll probably incorporate cordage into the sheath, to keep it handy.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?eve ... uctID=3768

I'll probably have another bike-trip in the next month, so we'll see how it goes. :)

zelph

Re: Buck Paklite Caper

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Nice, I like it.
I'l leave the blade as is, easy to keep clean. Paracord wrap is gonna get dirty.

Bike trips/camping sound like something I should have done at one point in my life. 8-)

How do you transport your equipment, on your back or attached in some fashion to your bike?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:25 pm

It appears that the back rippling is for striking a firesteel.

Both look very capable.

It will be interesting to see your report.

MMACH 5

Post by MMACH 5 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:32 pm

I totally agree on the parachord getting dirty. My plan is to incorporate it into the sheath. Then, if presented with a situation where it could be helpful, I would unwind it and wrap the handle.

The description says that the grooving is for improved grip. But I like the striker idea.

I pack everything onto the bike. I'll put a snack or two into the back pocket of my jersey, but that's about it. Here's a picture of my bike on the last trip.
Tent, pad and feather quilt are suspended between the handlebars. The back holds everything else.
The bike is equipped with mounts for a front rack, but this was a fair-weather two-nighter, so I left it off.
Attachments
Just got here.
Just got here.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Nice outfit!

I have never seen a water bottle holder behind the seat. I like it.

I also like the smaller volume rear panniers, so less mud reaches up there.

I have been looking for something like that for my bike.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Really nice set-up you got there. A really economical way to get away for few days. Price of gasoline went up to $4.09 today :roll: you can depend on it increasing daily :cry:

Do you camp at the local county forest preseve or State recreation areas?

Do you use a tent, tarp lean-to or hammock?

You now cook with alcohol :D Do you use the freezer bag meal kitchen plan?

That behind the seat bottle holder would be a nice place to put a nice new stainless steel kitchen that I'm putting together. :mrgreen:

MMACH 5

Post by MMACH 5 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Thank you. The bike was my Father's Day gift in 2008.

Most of my camping is in state parks or Army Corps of Engineers parks. There are some nice privately-run campgrounds within a day's ride, also. Once I did the old rogue camping thing and hunkered down on the undeveloped side of a city park.

Texas being so warm for so much of the year, the insects will eat you alive, without a screen. I use a Eureka Solitaire tent. Most nights, I leave the rain-fly off.

Knorr's makes a lot of pasta and rice dishes. They are meant to be side dishes, but if you mix in some extras, they can be a meal, for sure (they cost about a buck a piece). I half them at the house into freezer bags and use a combination of boil, simmer and cozy to prepare them. One of my favorite add-ins is Sweet Sue's 3oz packet of precooked chicken breast. And yes, avocados are probably the heaviest food I pack. I'll gladly lighten up elsewhere to leave room for these yummies. :)

Breakfast is usually a two-pan affair.
I boil, simmer and cozy some pearled barley. My tummy seems to like it better than oatmeal.
While the barley is cozied in and finishing up, I get out my tiny skillet and muffin mix (I use the Martha White - "just add milk" kind). Each packet makes about six small pancakes - which is more than I can eat with the barley. So, again, I half them at home into freezer bags with a tablespoon of powdered milk. At camp, I mix cold water in the freezer bag to make the batter and then just cut off a corner squirt it into the skillet.
During my testing, I found that the flavored muffin mix produced pancakes that tasted great, without needing syrup.

My boiling/simmering setup is a little different than my skillet setup. I always use a simmer ring when making anything in the skillet. I also remove the pot stand, turn half the windscreen around and use it to hold the skillet (see the image). This moves the skillet up away from the hottest part of the flame, and allows for controlling the heat with how much gap is between the two pieces.

These pics are from my last camp out.

The bottle holder is called an "Aqua-Rack." There are several companies that make these. I put it on because I have a 48-mile round trip commute to work. In the heat of the summer, I was running out of water way too fast. The first time I tried it, I called my wife and said, "It makes getting a drink as easy as scratching my butt!" :)
Attachments
By accident, the lid I made for my pot, fits the skillet perfectly.
By accident, the lid I made for my pot, fits the skillet perfectly.
Under the sliced up avocado, is my red beans, rice and chicken.
Under the sliced up avocado, is my red beans, rice and chicken.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:01 am

Well, I thought Illinois was the only state that had insect problems in the summer :mrgreen: Locals say it's going to be really bad this year because of all the rain we've had and are still getting. Recent high winds in the south have taken all the insects to the east and out over the ocean. The tornados have really caused a terrible disaster, sad, sad state of affairs down there.

You've come up with some great idea, another one is using the blueberry muffin mix as a pancake mix. Squeezing out of the freezer bag is another great idea, so hand of a way to get it into the pan. The raised windscreen to support the pan, another good idea. You're on a roll :D
I use a Eureka Solitaire tent
Excellent choice, they make quality tents. I have the "Headquarters" Might be using it next week if the weather gets nice.
I put it on because I have a 48-mile round trip commute to work. In the heat of the summer, I was running out of water way too fast. The first time I tried it, I called my wife and said, "It makes getting a drink as easy as scratching my butt!"
You must be one very healthy biker to do that many miles every day :D Scratching my butt takes on a whole new meaning now!!! :lol:

I need to find my frying pan heat diffuser this spring. I cut down a kitchen size diffuset to fit a one egg wonder frying pan. Worked like a charm, all I need to do is find it :roll: