DIY stove making

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

DIY stove making

Post by zelph » Sat May 28, 2011 8:01 pm

I've noticed a huge decline in stove makers out there. Whiteblaze, Backpackinglight and Hammockforums are down to practical nothing.

What have been your observations?

I don't regularly visit youtube to see what's going on with stove makers.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: DIY stove making

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat May 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Maybe the market is saturated for those interested in alcohol stoves. There is enough info on the web for your average DIY'ers to make their own and for those that don't want to mess with it, they can seek you, Bill, Trangia, or Mr. Austin for their needs. I think you have the KISS priciple working to your advantage compared to some of the models out there. I agree that there seems to be less innovations in stove building out there but you can only do so much with a pop can or an aluminum bottle :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun May 29, 2011 12:24 am

I'll have to go over and see what youtubers are doing.

I slacked off on alcohol stoves due to interest in wood burning. The top light and vertical stack peeked my interest. I will be making the small round woodgaz as soon as I can get a decent price on the welded wire stuff. I've had a few ask me about them and so I need to get some made. They are really nice to keep the wood intact inside a Kelly Kettle. Lifting off the kettle when it starts to boil is when a lot of the flaming twigs fall out and over the edge of the base fuel pot.

sudden

Post by sudden » Sun May 29, 2011 10:23 am

This one got me thinking. I like the way he can adjust the openings but the base is huge.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun May 29, 2011 8:27 pm

This one got me thinking. I like the way he can adjust the openings but the base is huge.
Yes, some of them really get complicated. Some get to be really tall, most all need the seperate pot support.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:20 pm

sudden wrote:This one got me thinking. I like the way he can adjust the openings but the base is huge.
i hate iphone video get a tripod dam :twisted: :evil:
Man play with fire man get burnt

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:41 am

Hope the fathers day sale went well Zelph. I have noticed that the sites are kind of slow on new stove development.
I have been unable to do much in the way of tinkering this summer between kids and taking some night classes, but have been quietly hoarding a few dozen new cups for Firemugs and several drill bits. I found a bunch of one of my favorites on EBAY that arent manufactured anymore.
I really miss making fire...
It was 103 degrees here today without much rain in a few months so we have some DRY wood.
Hope everyone is doing Ok. :) :geek:

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:19 pm

the sale went really well, lots of happy fathers out there or else a lot of their sons and daughter got in on their behalf :mrgreen:

I arrive here at Starved Rock State park in Illinois on Monday......has rained every day to include today which is thursday. I have dry wood in the form of wood pellets :D I did a modification to my stainless steel charcoal starter stove to easily accept the small wood pellets. They really burn clean. I use Heet to start them. I've been trying my hand at starting small fires in a Montgomery Kettle/Backwoodsboiler that I picked up used on BPL. The price was right and had to get one to develope an alcohol burner to work in it. So far the Starlyte stove works good and the smaller burner developed for BCB mug and stove from the UK.

cadyak.........103 degrees is not right for humans :mrgreen: any hotter and spontainious combustion will work well in wood soaked in kerosene confined in a stove :mrgreen:

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Raining your whole trip :( Are you using your RV, tent, hammock, or hotel? You did mention wifi and hotel :o Hopefully the weather will cooperate the rest of your trip ;) What do you think of the Montgomery kettle? How does it compare with the new backpacking SS Kelly Kettle? Mountainhouse are excellent so you are eating good brother ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:44 pm

Im tent camping and keeping dry in it, no leaky :D

I managed to get some cooking time in with the grill. I did fish on the half shell. I'll see if I can get a video on photobucket. Be back shortly.

Here ya go: