Fiberglass wick for Heineken Pot

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Fiberglass wick for Heineken Pot

Post by zelph » Mon May 30, 2011 10:52 pm

Long ago I wrapped a heineken pot with fiberglass wick material thinking that it enables me to pick up the pot with my bare hand once the water comes to a boil. Once the pot comes to a boil, it's 212 degrees and is too hot for me to pick it up. It failed the test. What did I do wrong.

How many of you out there have experienced the same thing?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Re: Fiberglass wick for Heineken Pot

Post by ConnieD » Tue May 31, 2011 9:05 am

I actually purchased one direct from "whatshisname".

It was too hot to handle.

I cannot see the value of purchasing anything again from him.

I started looking over his videos at YouTube, at the time. He actually ranted and criticised his customers for being too stupid to use his products.

I think I was too stupid to encourage him by sending him money.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue May 31, 2011 5:53 pm

I never tried the wrapped wick but opted for Skids suggestion of using a wool glove. They work! ;) I wonder if you put two or three silicone wristbands towards the top, would you be able to grab the pot of boiling water with your bare hand :?:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue May 31, 2011 9:44 pm

I think it was whatshisname that started the wrapping thing. Maybe oops56 can give us some insight on when the fiberglass wrapping thing came into play. I recently had an email come in asking where to purchase the wick material. I originaly purchase mine from a candle company on ebay. They had some on a close-out deal. The first time I tried it proved to be a failure and could not understand why the pot was being made to be heavier with a product that did not work as an insulator to allow for picking up the pot with a bare hand.

I'm hoping more viewers will add their experiences. I think it's time to put an end to this "Urban Legend" Wrapping a pot with fiberglass wick isn't worth a hill of beans.

Maybe Skidsteer will stop in and add a comment on his experiences of what others are saying in his circles.
I started looking over his videos at YouTube, at the time. He actually ranted and criticised his customers for being too stupid to use his products.
That's interesting :D One woman over on whiteblaze said one of his stoves "was a toy" :lol:

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:12 pm

I have seen the identical wicking material sold at a craft store.

They had it available in a selection of different diameters. I thought I might try a thicker diameter or perhaps two or more layers of windings. However, it was so very expensive for one roll of it. I decided to leave it alone.

I take gloves backpacking anyway: I want warm hands for the dexterity and for the strength I need, if the wind comes up or the temperature drops.

Gloves. Good idea.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:51 pm

I use cotton Jersey gloves. Light weight, multi purpose ;)

Skidsteer uses army issue wool glove inserts. Inserts are used for leather gloves during winter months.

shingaling

Post by shingaling » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:21 pm

I haven't used fiberglass twine, but I can picture it being difficult to wind tightly around the pot. Wouldn't it become frayed after a while?

I bought a large piece of silica (not fiberglass) cloth at the thrift store once. I think the insulating properties of that stuff is probably way better than fiberglass. But it's also waaaay heavier.

In place of silicone wrist bands, I've cut large bands from silicone oven mitts. Doesn't melt (or hasn't yet), but after a good burn, it can still be too hot to handle.
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:30 pm

In place of silicone wrist bands, I've cut large bands from silicone oven mitts. Doesn't melt (or hasn't yet), but after a good burn, it can still be too hot to handle.
Yes, anything is going to get really hot. 600 degree air coming up the side of the pot is going to transfer some of it's heat to what ever is attached to the can. You might be able to withstand the heat/pain for 2 seconds and then reflexes take over and say "drop the pot" Lets say the silicone starts to melt/bubble a little bit, that is really hot. I don't recomend touching it. On average an alcohol stove will burn for 8 min on 3/4 ounce of fuel. That's a long time for the attached materials to heat up to a temperature of 212 degrees. That's to hot to handle.

Why are folks out there wrapping their pots? Who started this "urban legend" was it whatshisname?

shingaling

Post by shingaling » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:47 am

Why are folks out there wrapping their pots?
Yep, good question. Perhaps we need a thread discussing how people have improvised handles, bale handles, pot grabbers, pot suspenders, etc. With lots of pics!
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:44 pm

shingaling wrote:
Why are folks out there wrapping their pots?
Yep, good question. Perhaps we need a thread discussing how people have improvised handles, bale handles, pot grabbers, pot suspenders, etc. With lots of pics!
I agree, we need a thread for alternatives. Here is what Todd said in another thread:

Re: "Fancyfeast Stove" Updated Sept 12 2007
by toddheyn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:34 pm

The fiberglass wick weighs 36 grams. The heiny pot and lid weigh 34 grams. So comparatively speaking the wick does add quite a bit of weight. Basically doubling the weight of the pot. It does work quite well though. I can pick the stove right up with no gloves or bandanna . I can hold it long enough to measure out my water for freezer bag cooking. I do not drink or eat straight from the pot so there is no need for me to hold on to the pot for a long period of time.

With the cork on the side of the pot, I would think that you would get some scorching from the flames coming up the side of the pot."Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

This is what Daren's pot looks like with a bail attached.

Daren........

I'll see if I can find a photo on whiteblaze of my heineken with a bail.

Found it!!!!!

Here is a post at whiteblaze that has some good photos of the Heineken with bail

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpos ... stcount=38