That Guy

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
ridebks

That Guy

Post by ridebks » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:31 am

Was on y tube(Hiram) and heard about a Tinny rant. It sparked my interest so i took a look. He made vid about what the definition of a stove is and then claimed he has the lightest stove ever manufactured. Even though the guy is a quack, he brings up a good question...what is the difference between a stove and a burner? Would love to hear some comments from you true stovies.

realityguy

Re: That Guy

Post by realityguy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:02 pm

For me.. I consider a stove as something you can "cook" on..besides just boiling water..with adjustable heat factors...and not just boil water.That would probably eliminate some others(here and everywhere else) as "stoves".Generally I always thought "burners" were portions of stoves..such as a 'two burner" or "three burner" stove.As an example,here's a "three burner" altoid stove with 7-8 variable levels of heat and duration (1 burner,2burners at once,3 burners at once..1 burner followed by another burner for double the time factor,three in a row,two and then one for high/simmer,or reverse pattern,or endless single burners..reload one into the stove every 8 minutes.(there is also a pair of "burner tweezers" that fit in the box for adding and removing "burners" while the stove is going)

Of course others will disagree with my "stoves" definition..that's their choice..(see below)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:13 pm

well for me it means a burner has no pot on it just a heat thing when you put a pan or pot on it then its a stove.So all stoves that are sold as stoves are not stoves till you put a pot fry pan on it
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:16 pm

A burner produces the flame.

A stove contains a burner and a means to support the pot.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Post by sudden » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Technically, a stove is an enclosed space. Fuel is burned inside of a stove to create heat (electric stove being the odd source of heat).

Then there is the kitchen stove which may have an oven area for baking.

Why does any of this matter here? We all know our creations are meant for preparing meals or hot beverages. Call them what you like. I think stove is appropriate language regardless of the "definition"
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

sudden

Post by sudden » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:23 pm

From the dictionary

a : a portable or fixed apparatus that burns fuel or uses electricity to provide heat (as for cooking or heating)

b : a device that generates heat for special purposes (as for heating tools or heating air for a hot blast)

c : kiln

2. chiefly British : a hothouse especially for the cultivation of tropical exotics; broadly : greenhouse
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:59 pm

well i got news for you all the sun is a stove it heats up my solar ovens to cook but not light weight :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:43 pm

oops56 wrote:well i got news for you all the sun is a stove it heats up my solar ovens to cook but not light weight :lol: :lol:
Is it a stove or is it a burner :?:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Is it a stove or is it a burner
That depends on how much sunscreen you are wearing... :roll:

I checked out the actual "definition" also ..a stove/burner is whatever you want to call it.There are other methods of "cooking" also..convection,microwaves,chemical reactions,drying racks and salt,boiling stuff over/in geothermal pools,and others..Aren't those all "stoves" in a way? Is it important to define the difference comparing homemade alcohol appliances(meaning stoves or burners)?..not really.. :roll: I don't really think items to be cooked need to be in a "pot" or vessel..as in a hotdog,fish,steak,rattlesnake , or marshmallow on a stick..as the heat factor being within a "burner" as much as just a "source" of "heat"..as in oop's solar "stove".Fuel?Well, the same goes for that..be it electricity,solid fuel(or gas,liquid,camel dung,whatever),or sun rays from a reflector dish or greenhouse.The vessel or supplier of heat or stove can be any shape,size or dimensions as long as it produces a "method of cooking".
Okay..should we now define "cooking" and "heating"?Is it necessary? :roll:

Of course..everyone knows "my stove" works better than "your burner"(hypothetically speaking of course)! :roll: :lol: Is it really that important? :roll:
I'm waiting with my smoked mirror for watching oops "place his pot on the sun". :mrgreen: .. :lol: If you consider the btus of his heat source,it's pretty inefficient for the amount of heat overall the sun puts out.Of course, if his pot WAS closer to his stove.. :o However..it IS a very inexpensive way to cook!

Okay..If I inadvertently call my stove/burner the opposite in your opinion..would you please waste your time(and mine) correcting that mistake? Thank you in advance!

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:22 pm

The sun is the heat source.

The earth is the pot support :P
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/