A boil time video at 10,500ft

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
sudden

A boil time video at 10,500ft

Post by sudden » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:34 am

Found this today on youtube. Not sure how the winner is made but I wonder if it has more to do with the diameter of the flame pattern rather than stove design.

edit for credit: The vid was made by Paul at "the outdoor adventure"
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Re: A boil time video at 10,500ft

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:34 pm

Starting water temperature is a variable.

A SuperCat stove is fast :D Out in the field, with a breeze, it's terrible. Medium speed stoves are much better.

It's interesting to see 4 videos playing at one time. Someday I'll have to take an interest in doing tricky stuff like that. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:16 pm

The video really showed nothing other than times elapsing at high speed, flame patterns, and a nice musical background. Too many variables that were undefined. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:26 pm

How come he didn't play "dueling banjos"? :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what a V8 minican stove is. You guys are way ahead of me
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:58 pm

I'm assuming the "v8 minican is the smaller diameter single drink can(8oz?) made into a stove like his larger ones.He's got them set on a metal can base that is not part of the stove,just something to protect the countertop below.Check out his other videos of how he makes his stove..just making a smaller diameter one is all.
Apparently his boiling water appears to use ".8 oz" of alcohol..I think he's figuring by weight,not volume..just weighing the stove before and after a boil with the residual fuel left in it..and using the difference as his calculation.
If you look at his other stovemaking video..I think he says he's making the smaller stove while the larger one is boiling the water.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy