Newby

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
HawkerHiker

Newby

Post by HawkerHiker » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:02 am

Hello, HawkerHiker here. Just signed into this group. I kept seeing it referred to when I do Google searches about backpacking issues. I have spent most of my life "car camping" with heavyweight gear near our local Kansas reservoirs. Not much backpacking going on in this state. My kids are getting older and/or already on their own, and the ones left at home (as well as their mother) are no longer interested in camping. But, Dad is still interested and decided to scale down and try backpacking. I am very new to the sport, but very interested in it. I also love to ride my Honda ST1100 sport touring motorcycle and hope to do some motorcycle camping too as it will often take the same kind of lightweight, compact gear. I am hoping to learn from the rest of you. My bucket list includes doing some thru-hiking on some major trails. So far, I have only done one "thru-hike" if you can call it that. I did the Elk River Trail in southeast Kansas. It is only 15 miles long though, but a very challenging trail nonetheless where the average hiking speed is about 1.1 mph due to the constant ups and downs and other rugged terrain. From that one experience, I figured I needed to lighten up the load considerably. But, every professional started as an amateur! ;)

zelph

Re: Newby

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:01 am

Glad to have you here. We're all interested in lowering our gear loads so we can take more food :mrgreen: I'm still trying to get used to hanging in a hammock. I'm having issues with my bridge hammock being too tight in the shoulder area. Got an idea how to resolve that which will require making my own version.

We sure have accumilated a lot of useful information here. Lots of reading to do. Ask questions, we'll hunt down the answers for you. Touring by motorcycle, nice way to get out into the piney woods.

Great to have you here!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:40 am

Welcome to the fire Hawker. Youll have fun here. Very diverse approaches to hiking and stovemaking are represented here so youll fit right in.
Cheers

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:23 am

I'm having issues with my bridge hammock being too tight in the shoulder area. Got an idea how to resolve that which will require making my own version.
Use three trees..two up front ..one on each side...or a cross bar(adjustable trek pole) supported by your nose.. :roll:..maybe a couple pole pockets at the shoulder points or a couple tie-outs there to sturdy bushes... ;)

HH..lighten your load until it's a day hike to do that 15miles..meaning less gear,less weight to pack and a "walk in the park"!..or an overnight..meaning just a little more gear,and a little more to pack.Pull out everything your carried the last time through and figure out what you didn't even use or need..Dump it!..other than your first aid kit,10 essentials and that type of stuff,of course.Lighten your stove weight to a few ounces with fuel with ideas from here..instead of packing that two burner coleman and that gallon of white gas( :lol:) ..You'll get the idea.
A lighter load..means only needing a lighter pack to carry it in..losing more weight.My go-lite packs weigh about 2lbs(and they are old school,dropping about 3-4 from most larger ones.My day pack is a 1 lb one.
Most of my gear is older or homemade..so you don't need to spend $$$ for state of the art gear unless you want to.This is a good do-it-yourself website with lots of good posts,ideas,and other people that like to share those ideas.Browse the archives and ask questions on those threads.someone will answer them that's "been there and done that".
If you have bad knees..like me..use a couple trekking poles to carry more weight with your upper body strength.
Break your trip into two segments with a longer lunch break..
A lot of us here are older people so it's not a lot of young buff-bucks doing all the suggestin'.. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:27 pm

I'm going to use large trees, 1.5 up to 2 feet in diameter. I will attach the tree hugger to the opposite side of the tree, bring the two ends around opposite sides of the tree and then down to the spreader bar. The tree hugger will stablize the bar because of their didtance apart. I'll see if I can get a photo of what I'm thinking of :D It seems like it works well in my head, just need to do it :o

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:21 pm

I understand..I was thinking of making one end of a tent or hammock like that..wider at a tree hanging end...We've got big trees here...My hammock spot in the yard has one tree about 3' across up 5-6 feet. ;) I have a sail that would make a nice hammock using that idea..down to the mast single point at the other end..I've been eyeballing that one.. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:58 am

Today the sun is shining and I'll be able to get a photo. :D

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:40 am

zelph wrote:Today the sun is shining and I'll be able to get a photo. :D
lucky you on the sun we got 2 in snow now its turn to sleet then it be rain be gone in few days so i take the day off :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:35 pm

weather?..Where's my mask and snorkel..It poured all last night,rained yesterday,and still raining well today.This afternoon the rivers are cresting with the tide and waterfront houses will probably be come houseboats..especially for those dimits that reside on high muddy cliffs above Puget Sound that cut down the trees in front for the "awesome views". :lol: I can hear them already whining!(why me!? :cry:..because you deserve it,moron! )
I don't recall rain like this for a few years now..

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Oops, rest well, this winter is going to keep you busy digging out after some record snowfalls :mrgreen:

RG, my daughter is fed up with rain out there and is going to return to the sunny midwest in January. :mrgreen: