Concerns for BPA in food cans

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Concerns for BPA in food cans

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:28 pm

This is old news(2004) but good for review. I highlighted some facts that were interesting to me:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15712526

Food Addit Contam. 2004 Oct;21(10):1015-26.
Migration of bisphenol A from can coatings--effects of damage, storage conditions and heating.
Goodson A, Robin H, Summerfield W, Cooper I.
SourcePira International, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 7RU, UK.

Abstract
Bisphenol A (BPA) is an important monomer used in the manufacture of epoxy resins for internal food can linings. Experiments were conducted to investigate the effects of different storage conditions and can damage on the migration of BPA to foods. These experiments were conducted in a systematic fashion by filling empty epoxyphenolic coated cans with four foods: soup, minced beef, evaporated milk and carrots and a food simulant (10% ethanol). Filled cans of each food type or simulant were then sealed and processed using appropriate conditions, before storage at three different temperatures: 5 degrees C, 20 degrees C and 40 degrees C. For each of the storage regimes, 50% of the cans were dented to establish if this would lead to increased BPA migration. Cans were removed from these stocks at intervals of 1, 3 and 9 months storage at 5 degrees C and 20 degrees C or 10 days, 1 and 3 months at 40 degrees C. Some initial problems of heterogeneity between samples was overcome by determining the amount of BPA in food as well as in the can lining. It was found that 80-100% of the total BPA present in the coating had migrated to foods directly after can processing by pilot plant filling with food or simulant, sealing and sterilization. This level was not changed by extended storage (up to 9 months) or can damage, indicating most migration was occurring during the can processing step. There was no noticeable difference, in this respect, between the different foods or the food simulant. Analysis of control samples (foods fortified with approximately 0.1 mg kg(-1) BPA and contained in Schott bottles) showed that BPA was stable under both processing and storage. Experiments were also conducted to investigate the potential effects, on the migration of BPA from can coatings, of cooking or heating foods in the can prior to consumption. Food cans were purchased and the food either cooked or heated in the can. BPA was analysed prior to and after the heating/cooking process. It was concluded from the results that there were no appreciable differences in the BPA level before and after cooking or heating.

PMID:15712526[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Publication Types, MeSH
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

lavender

Re: Concerns for BPA in food cans

Postby lavender » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:01 am

Without a warm winter women boots, what a blankety blank weather! Oh, I forget it, hello everyone, I am new here, wanting to report my mood in this forum. I am really envious about those talkative styles. I am really, really tired of winter. Every morning I am forced to awake because of the icy cold feet, who please send me a warm winter boots! I tried to search boots on the internet, but many are too fat, I also like to wear well like other gorgeous, I want to buy a ugg classic boots .

women boots, htt, winter women boots

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:35 am

lavender wrote:Without a warm winter women boots[/url] winter women boots, what a blankety blank weather! Oh, I forget it, hello everyone, I am new here, wanting to report my mood in this forum. I am really envious about those talkative styles. I am really, really tired of winter. Every morning I am forced to awake because of the icy cold feet, who please send me a warm winter boots! I tried to search boots on the internet, but many are too fat, I also like to wear well like other gorgeous, I want to buy a ugg classic boots]women boots[/url].

women boots, .com, winter women boots

well how about all these people on ss not got a raise in 2 years lucky you get something
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:02 am

The economy is down, they need part time jobs spamming.

Winter is upon us. Make sure you have good warm boots and mittens :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:25 am

Hmm..this dog appears to have a flea infestation... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:40 pm

realityguy wrote:Hmm..this dog appears to have a flea infestation... :lol:

They ate a few of his words and things. He had two posts and they consumed the entire 2nd one :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:16 am

HJ, more folks out there could benefit from the information in the article. You might be interested in sharing it with your readers.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:17 pm

You have to wonder why they are converting all new water bottles to BPA free bottles :?: More revenue I guess :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:22 pm

Yeah, I wonder if they charge more for them now :o

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:39 pm

zelph wrote:Yeah, I wonder if they charge more for them now :o

You know they do....they are special...no BPA :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “General”