JesterJosev is going hiking tomorrow!

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
JesterJosev

JesterJosev is going hiking tomorrow!

Post by JesterJosev » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:09 am

Alright its hiking day tomorrow and I'm giddy as a kid, I have all my new gear set up and ready to go, stoves ready for lunch, and camera charged!
Heres my gear list so far

- Light backpack, sub 2 pounds.
- Minimalist Halulite pot, and pot lifter
- Titanium spoon for my meal
- For lunch I will be having mac and cheese on the trail (I might have to sneak in some bread)
- Stove, squirrel cage pot stand, 4oz of fuel (I'm a half full kinda guy)
- Gerber LST knife
- NEW! Salamon backpacking hiking boots WOOOOO!!
- NEW! Rain pants, light and airy!
- Half size gaiters
- Synthetic socks (allergic to wool :cry: )
- Wicking Long johns
- Dry fit tank top
- Dry fit t-shirt
- Rain Jacket (Taiga)
- Money clip (drivers licence, debit card, credit card, $20.00)
- Camera (S90, Gorilla Pod Joey)
- Glasses

Weather: A drippy soup 90% chance of precipitation (1mm), clearing up in the afternoon
- Local weather http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cabc0229
- Local TAF, and METAR for pilots such as myself http://www.flightplanning.navcanada.ca/ ... /metar.cgi

- Park website http://www.bchydro.com/community/recrea ... _lake.html

Trail: Buntzen Lake Trail - Distance 8km, elevation gain 100m, duration 3-4 hours meandering (lunch).

I'll be sure to video, and take pictures. This way you get to see the face behind the posts!

All the best,
-JesterJosev

sudden

Re: JesterJosev is going hiking tomorrow!

Post by sudden » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:26 am

Just checked out the park link. Looks awesome. How did you guys let a power supply company change it to their name instead of it's original name (Lake Beautiful)?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:58 pm

You'll be lucky if the weather clears. It looks like a big system moving around up there. Hope for your sake it clears :D

Happy trails to you and your lightweigh base load. Looks like you'll hike light :D

You'll be in a super nice area with lots of terrain worth a ton of photos and videos. Wish we could be up there also but we'll have patience waiting for the photos ;)

Get one or two shots of the Whiskey Jacks if they are still around. :D I wanna see one in your hand. One in the hand is worth 2 in the bush :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JesterJosev

Post by JesterJosev » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:40 am

As promised heres video of the trip for anyone interested in seeing North Western weather http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u98J32nE ... e=youtu.be
Heres a shot of me with one of the Whiskey Jacks http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 7615_n.jpg
Thanks for the suggestions and help, I sure had a fun time.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi there, JesterJosev,

Whiskey Jack! We call those "Camp Robbers" or Grey Jays.

I had one spend a winter with me, fly in my tent to wake me up, stand on my knee, sit on a nearby branch, he even flew into my vehicle and peered at me quizzically around the driver's seat headrest one day when I was looking for something inside my vehicle.

We met, formally, when I was telling a neighbor over the garden fence about Camp Robbers. How, as a small child a Camp Robber swooped in the campsite, grabbed my sandwich out of my hand, and flew off to eat it. This particular Grey Jay (formal name) immediately flew off and came back with a nice fat grub and offered it at my feet.

I called him Sweetie Bird. He introduced me to his "shy" mate when he found one, raised a family, and left our neighborhood.

Nice video. Looks like the right trail to break-in new boots.

I know my Salomon boots are the best boots I ever had. Fit right from the first day.
Last edited by ConnieD on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JesterJosev

Post by JesterJosev » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:36 pm

ConnieD : Grey Jays! Thats right, I forgot thats the proper name for them. My father called them Whiskey Jacks, so in turn thats what I have done. They are the most friendly little guys in the sky. I know your not exagerating reguarding them waking you up in the morning, last time I was out camping, they would literally sit outside my tent when it got light out and squawk for me to get up for breakfast (see when I was finnished the morning oakmeal they could have the leftover bits). They are so social that they bring thier young down to watch them beg for treats, so its not uncommon to have tens of them in your camp site following you around. I guess when we're the only interesting thing thats going on for miles, why not? Jays are the friendly thieves of the black birds. Last week my father left a bowl of unshelled peanuts in the garage, and later that night someone forgot to shut the garage door before going to sleep. The next morning my father walks out to the garage with a cup of coffee and sits down next to a Stellers Jay sitting on the rim of the empty peanut bowl. I suppose the Jay figured he'd be first in line for the refill. I bet the neighborhood will have peanut crops for the next decade.

I can't blame the Jay though, we regularly throw shelled peanuts to thier cousins the crows, when they are around the house. A family of crows lives around our house year round because of it, and its the best home alarm system you can't buy. When someone approches the house the crows go nuts, cawing away. Crows are aren't as trusting as the Jays, but they know my family, and follow us around at a distance. What they lack in trust, they make up for with wits. I'm convinced they have some form of communication, as on the West Coast the crows have a different dialect which involves a clicking/clattering noise they make with their beaks; and in the Domincan Republic I remember hearing this screeching noise coming from the palms above, I half expect to see a monkey, but no it was supprisingly a crow. Those are just a few of the observations I have made.

Zelph: Yea the weather was a little soggy, but it wasn't agressive. I just got a new rain gear set up, including new pants, and backpacking boots, so it was a great oppertunity to test them out. The rain pants are breathable and light...I do believe they call that a success. The boots support my ankle, but have some wiggle room for the toes. Also a success, more than I could ask for. :DB: :DP: :DB: Right now I have to pick up a light weight pack. I have the Mountain Coop Brio 60 for over night hikes, but now I have to save up and experiment with cuban fiber (uh oh). What would help me the most is to stop eating crap food and lose some weight. Also one thing I've started to do recently was carry about a pocket knife with me the Gerber LST, I figured it was excessive at first. Then I started to use it, and the found that it can really come in handy. If its light and I can forget about it until I need it, thats perfect. Opening bags of food, packages, peeling off labels, trimming off flashing, having one handy saves time.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:00 am

Great info on the Whiskey Jacks(my preference ;) ) Thanks Connie for the history of them in your life.

Jester, what was the need for the gaiters on your hike? The trails were nice and clear.

Are you a commercial pilot or just a hobby flier?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:08 pm

JesterJosev,

...delightful story about your experience with "Whiskey Jacks" and crows.

I didn't know crows would become "watch dogs" for your house.

If you do get a cuben fiber backpack, I would like to know how that works out.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml seems to have the most experience with cuben fiber packs.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks for the video. I have never seen your friendly jays. They are cool! What is a Gorilla pod Joey? I take it the camera is waterproof?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

JesterJosev

Post by JesterJosev » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:51 am

Connie: I agree with Zelph, thanks for the anecdotes, its always interesting/enjoyable to hear about other people interacting peaceably with nature; and I appreciate the link to the online store. I have allot of homework to do now, and I'll be sure to get back to you when I do pick one up.

Zelph: In retrospect the gaiters were overkill for most of the trail, this short hike was mostly a gear test for longer hikes, I wanted to see how well they played with my rainpants and new boots. I'm happy to say that even with the few puddles we came across there was minimal splash on the rest of my stuff. I got the smaller ones, just because I know that I'm not bogging in too deep to the swamp very much in the local area and mostly just have them to maintain my gear through various elements that we often run across (snow, slush, mud). I'm sure they will earn their keep next hike! I finished my Private Pilots License, with an extra rating on soft fields, so I'm a hobbyist right now until I finish school at which point I have some career decisions to make regarding my licensing program. Its sure is a luxury to be able to fly over the mountains that I frequent to get a birds eye view!

Ridgerunner: A Gorilla Pod Joey is a small tripod that is very versatile in its ability to change shape, and hug various surfaces which comes in hand out in nature. So for instance if I wanted to use a tree in order to take a picture I could just wrap one of the legs around a branch and set the self timer function. The camera that I bring with me on trails isn't waterproof, but it does have a metal case which helps to prevent accidents. Its the Canon S90, with a 1/1.7 CCD sensor, with a fast f/2.0-4.9 lens. My idea was if I'm going to carry a small camera, I want to make sure it can take high quality photos, or I mind as well just take pictures with my cell phone.